Learn Cake Decorating With Cdtv
Check out Cake Decorating TV and discover thousands of hours of cake decorating tutorialsGet a free monthly subscription to Cake Decoration and Sugarcraft magazineExclusive discounts to real life classes10% off every single order and so much more!
Check out our latest range of products, including edible celebration bottle prints to top your special cakes!
What Size Cake Pans To Use For A 2 Tier Cake
Are you wondering what size cake pans for a 2 tier cake are the right option for you? Luckily, this is a question that even the seasoned pros often wonder about.
Tiered cakes are favored because its a simple way to cater dessert to a large party.
Moreover, tiered cakes have a certain wow-factor. Picking the right cake pan is crucial since the wrong size can spell disaster for you.
This is why it is a good idea to pick the cake pan properly. Based on the kind of cake you are making or the aesthetic you are going for, this can play an important role in the final look.
So, if youre wondering what size cake pan you should get for a 2 tier cake, this detailed guide is here to help you out.
People often get tiers and layers confused when it comes to cake terminology. One cake will often with have two or three layers, sometimes more. That one cake with the layers will make up one-tier.
So, there are multiple layers of cake inside of a tier. Layers are typically made by slicing a cake in half and filling it with frosting or filling. Layers can also be made by stacking several thin cakes together with filling or frosting between each layer.
With tiered cakes, the top tier is typically two inches smaller than the bottom tier. Each tier will typically have two to three layers. However, some larger tiers may have four layers or more.
Don’t Miss: Mrs Fields Happy Birthday Cookie Cake
Bring Your Cake Decorating Tools Along When Transporting A Cake
- Always make sure that you bring all your cake decorating tools with you in a toolbox. Also, remember to bring extra cake icing . Always bring extra flowers if you are using any. This should be the case for both fresh or sugar flowers. They are for contingency, to replace any broken or damaged ones on the cake.
Classic 2 Tier Heart Cake
Choose either our delicious eggfree Victoria Style sponge cake, layered with luxury fruit spread and fresh cream filling or our indulgent eggfree Chocolate sponge cake, layered with chocolate spread and fresh cream filling.
- Milk Chocolate sticks
- Chocolate piping
- Hand crafted edible flowers
Our eggfree cakes taste as good as they look? So spoil yourself! All our cakes can have a personalised message written even while you wait, free of charge.
Serving numbers are an approximate guideline. Actual portion numbers will vary according to how the cake is sliced.
We recommend our cakes should be stored in a fridge and consumed within 24 hours of collection.
Sign up for newsletter
Don’t Miss: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
How To Make A Two
With a boxed cake mix, you can whip up a 2-layered birthday cake in no time. First developed in the 1930s, cake mixes are the fast and easy solution when it’s time to make a birthday cake. Combine the cake mix with eggs, oil and water, and you’re on your way. Just grease the pans well and allow the cakes to cool completely before you frost them. You can slather the frosting on with a knife or use a piping bag for a more decorative look. Even if you’ve never made a birthday cake before, you can accomplish this in less than two hours — including cooling time.
Assemble Tiered Cakes At The Event Venue
- I always only assemble tall tiered cakes at the wedding hall or event venue. It is OK to transport a two or three-tier assembled cakes, but taller cakes are best assembled at the event venue. I transport each tier on its own, either in a cake pan or a cake box.
- And in circumstances where I dont have a choice but to assemble the tiered cake upfront before delivery for whatever reason, I always insert a long dowel rod through the center of the stacked cakes for additional support. And Idrive extra slow on the road. .
Don’t Miss: Wedding Cake Sams
Using The Cake Boards
Utilizing cake boards in a stacked cake not only assists in stabilizing but also makes it much easier to place each tier onto the cake. Purchase or cut the cake boards so they are the same size as the cake layer . It is also important to make sure the material of the board is sturdy and won’t bend easily.
For smaller layers6 inches or lessyou can stack 2 cakes on 1 board. Do not try to stack more than 2 layers. Before putting the cake layer onto the board, lightly place the next cake board on top of the previous cake layer to make an outline this way you will know where to place the dowels, making sure they are actually under the next layer.
How To Transport A Cake
Published: by Priya Maha
How to transport a cake, especially the tiered ones? This is quite a common question I often get from new cake decorators.
I have made and transported tall tiered cakes many times. And the one thing that really stresses me up in the whole process of decorating and delivering a cake is definitely the process of getting the cake delivered to the event venue in one piece.
And so I totally feel the pain when others struggle with the process of transporting their cakes. More so if its the tall and tiered ones.
How to transport a cake
Over time, I have learned a couple of tricks to reduce the stress of delivering cakes. And those are the tips and tricks I am sharing on this page.
Also Check: Sams Club Wedding Cakes
Two Different Size For Two Tiers
One thing you should note is that tiered cakes usually have two different sizes to emphasize the tiers. Layered cakes and tiered cakes are very different things.
Usually, layered cakes have two cakes of the same size that are stacked on top of each other.
In contrast, tiered cakes can even include as many as 4 to 5 shelves but 2 is usually the common number of tiers that people opt for.
Its common for tiered cakes to have shelves. However, tiered cakes have two different cake sizes that when placed on top of each other create an interesting visual look.
So, if youre going for two tiers, you need two different sized cake pans. Usually, the top tier of the cake is the one that is the smallest, whereas the lower tier is the one that is the largest. Given this factor, you will have to buy two different cake pan sizes for a 2 tiered cake.
However, you also have to keep your budget in mind, particularly when youre going with this option.
Some cake pans can be pretty expensive and you will have to make sure that you have the budget to buy different cake sizes. It is also recommended that you get two pans of the same size, especially if you are making more than one cake.
This helps you save time by baking two cakes at the same time, instead of having to wait for one to get done.
Luckily, most cake pan sets can be found that have cake pans of different sizes and that are cost-effective as well.
Linlins Elegant Bone China Rose Pattern 2
- Made Of Fine Bone China
- Use as a cupcake stand, dessert stand or serve for fruit and other sweet treat. It can be used at all types of events and parties such as tea party, baby showers, graduations, weddings, christmas, thanksgiving or for home decor.
- Perfect Gift – comes in a gift box
- Bone China offers light weight and translucency with strength and smooth luxurious feeling
You May Like: Wedding Cake Steps For A Pool
Boxes For A 2 Tier Cake
Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 3:10amby bates123
Does anyone have any suggestions where to by a box for the smaller 2 tier cakes ? I don’t want to send this with the customer not packaged.Do you make your own?Do you use shipping boxes?
I get taller packing boxes from Staples and use them – they are tall enough for a 2 tier cake and come in smaller sizes – they work perfectly and are not that expensive
I use the Wedding Cake Boxes… Here the link I hope it works this time.They have inserts for round and square boards…they come in medium & large. I also have a local place that carries these
I was hoping to find something cheaper, something I could send with the customer when the orders are picked up. I don’t want to have to worry with getting it back.
Here you go Stephanie – here is a link to Staples to show you – very inexpensive. These are sold online in a bundle of 5 for $8.79 so that comes to about $1.75 a box. And I know you can get them in a 12″ size as well in the Store and you can buy them individually. If the cakeboard is a bit smaller then the size box you have just put a piece of the shelf liner under it and you should be good to go! So much sturdier then just a regular old cake box with the top flap cut off
Assembling A Stacked Cake
Once you have your cake layers and all of your supplies, you are ready to assemble a tiered cake. If you take your time and follow the steps closely, remembering the helpful tips, you are bound to have success.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Opera Cake
Remember To Take Photos Of Your Fully Set Up Cake After You Transport And Set It Up
- Always take a few photos of the completely assembled cake . And send the images to your customer before you leave the venue. This is just in case someone knocks down your cake while you are gone and blames it on you. At least with the photo, your customer will know that you have done a good job. And does not blame you for any mishaps.
How to Transport a Cake, the stress free way!
Hope you enjoyed this sharing on how to transport a cake. May your cake transporting process be a stress-free one!
Two Major Factors That Affect Cake Pan Size
Now that you know the appropriate sizes of tiered cakes, you can easily go out and buy tier cake pans.
Before you decide on the kind of cake pan you want, you should also remember that certain factors also influence this decision.
Based on the following, you can mix and match different sizes to see what works for you:
You May Like: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
A Complete Guide To Delivering Cakes Safely
After months of planning, designing and creating this gorgeous cake, it is now time to deliver it safely to its venue. Delivering a cake can be stressful and nerve wracking. Careful planning and awareness can help ease out the process and save last minute unexpected situations that might arise. Follow our comprehensive guide to delivering cakes safely AND remember to stop, breathe and remind yourself You love what you do!
1. Planning ahead, Pre delivery checklist
Delivering cakes is a process, and it needs to be streamlined. So dont stop planning at baking and decorating stages, see them through delivery. How will your cake reach the venue and steps involved in doing so safely? Plan, Plan, Plan and be clear on what to do and when, get your pre-delivery checklist sorted.
- Venue address and directions.
- Parking availability and restrictions.
- Venue contact number and contact name and number for the person who will meet you when you arrive.
- Distance, you will need to transport the cake from your vehicle to the display table. Always do a walk of the venue, so you have the route in mind.
- How many people will you need to carry the cake? Do you need a trolley?
- An agreed time to deliver the cake, ideally few hours before the event.
- Contact details of the florist , agreed time of delivery of flowers at the venue.
- Any other props needed to complete your display.
2. Packing and securing the cake
4. The Drive
5. Arrival at the venue
Plan The Trip So That There Is Enough Time For A Slow Ride To The Event Venue
- Another important tip is to find out the distance of the event venue or wedding hall in advance. This is so that adequate time can be allocated to reach the event venue on time. I normally allocate a good one to two hours to assemble the cake at the event venue. So in deciding on the delivery time, I make sure I have enough time to drive to the event venue and assemble the cake.
- And if its a wedding cake, I always try to complete all the assembly at least 2 to 3 hours before the start of the function. That way, I have enough back up time should there be any delay caused by bad traffic or other unforeseen incidents. It also allows me to complete the cake before any guests arrive for the function.
Read Also: Wedding Cake Pool Stairs For Sale