How Do I Make My Cream Cheese Frosting Thicker
- What I love about this recipe is that it already makes a nice thick frosting, but if needed you can add more powdered sugar to make your cream cheese frosting even thicker. I recommend adding about 2 Tablespoons at a time until the desired thickness is reached. Alternatively you can add cornstarch see more on that below.
What Does Cream Cheese Frosting Go Well With
Cream cheese frosting pairs well with so many things, you really cant go wrong. It is probably most often paired with carrot cake, like I did with these Carrot Cake Swirl Cupcakes. Such a classic combination.
How To Store Cream Cheese Glaze
- The cream cheese glaze can sit out at room temperature for about eight hours. After that, it should be refrigerated for three to four days in an airtight container, or frozen in zip-close bags for up to one month.
- Cakes, cupcakes, or any other dessert or bread and muffins that this glaze is on should be kept refrigerated.
Don’t Miss: Nothing Bundt Gluten Free
Flavored And Colored Cream Cheese Glaze
Here are some of our favorite additions:
- Flavor your cream cheese glaze by simply adding 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or pumpkin spice, or 2 teaspoons sweetened cocoa.
- Give some color and flavor to your glaze by adding 1 tablespoon of your favorite jam, preserve, or honey before adding the milk. Add 1 tablespoon of milk afterward and test the texture before adding more. Adding 1/2 teaspoon of citrus zest gives a beautiful zing to the glaze.
- Add natural food coloring to give the basic recipe a pink, blue, or yellow hue. Use on berry muffins or lemon pound cake.
How To Make Pumpkin Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
Begin by combining the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
Whisk well to combine.
In a large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the melted butter and sugar.
Beat on medium speed until just combined.
Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the pumpkin.
Mix on low speed until well combined.
Turn the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
If youd prefer a cake that you can remove from the baking dish, feel free to give my Glazed Pumpkin Pound Cake a try .
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. Set the cake on a wire rack to cool completely.
Meanwhile, make the frosting. Combine the butter and cream cheese in a large bowl.
Beat on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute, then beat in the salt and vanilla.
Add the confectioners sugar and beat on low speed for 30 seconds.
Switch to high speed and beat until light and creamy, about 2 minutes.
Spread the frosting on the cooled cake.
I really like using an offset spatula to frost cakes, particularly cakes that are served right from the baking dish like this one. These angled spatulas make easy work of spreading frosting onto the corners of the cake.
Create swirls in any pattern you like.
Cut into squares and serve. Cover any leftover cake tightly with aluminum foil and store in the fridge for up to 4 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Recommended Reading: Nothing Bundt Cakes White Chocolate Raspberry Calories
How To Make Cream Cheese Frosting:
What You Will Need For This Nothing Bundt Cake Frosting
For thisrecipe that is just like the famous Nothing Bundt Cake cream cheese frosting, you will need:
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
To prepare this frosting, you will need a large bowl and an electric mixer. Using the whisk attachment will allow the frosting to achieve the best texture.
Make sure that the butter andcream cheese are softened before making this recipe. You do not want them to be melted, otherwise, the frosting will not achieve a creamy, fluffy texture. If the cream cheese and butter are too cold it may cause the frosting to curdle.
Don’t Miss: Sams Club Cake Prices 2019
Can I Add Cornstarch To My Cream Cheese Frosting
- Yup! While this recipe does not call for it, if you need a particularly stiff frosting or are looking to make your frosting thicker without making it sweeter, you can add cornstarch . I dont recommend adding more than a few Tablespoons, so start with just one Tablespoon at a time until desired thickness is reached.
Alright, while cream cheese frosting goes great with everything, there are certain cakes and cupcakes that complement it particularly well. Wednesday Ill be sharing one of my favorite cupcakes with you the exact cupcakes seen in the photos above.
Can you guess what flavor they are???
Now About That Frosting
Were topping off these pumpkin cupcake with a slight variation of my favorite cream cheese frosting. While I love that frosting as-is, were making some subtle tweaks:
- Brown sugar. The addition of a few tablespoons of brown sugar add a subtle depth of flavor . Pairs perfectly with pumpkin !
- A bit less powdered sugar. Between the three cups of powdered sugar were using and the brown sugar our frosting will be plenty sweet enough. Also, this frosting is specifically meant to be silkier and thinner than my traditional cream cheese frosting, and reducing some of the powdered sugar helps give us this smooth texture.
- Heavy Cream. This is optional! Beating in a tablespoon or two of heavy cream will make your frosting even silkier and smoother. Whether or not I add it usually depends on how I want my frosting to look on top of my cupcake when Im finished, if you leave out the cream it will be stiffer and easier to pipe prettily on top.
You May Like: Schwan’s Birthday Cake Ice Cream
Tips For Making Cream Cheese Icing:
- Make sure that you are using full-fat brick cream cheese, not low fat or spreadable cream cheese .
- I always like to use unsalted butter and add a dash of salt so that I have complete control over the flavor of the frosting. However, if you only have salted butter on hand then just omit the salt called for in the recipe.
- Make sure you allow your cream cheese and your butter to soften before making your frosting! Softening the butter and cream cheese ensure that your ingredients will combine well and be lump free.
- If you intend to pipe your frosting, I recommend sifting your powdered sugar before mixing it into your butter/cream cheese mixture, as small lumps of sugar can clog up your piping tips, especially if youre using a smaller tip.
Classic Cream Cheese Frosting
Special occasions call for cake, and cake calls for cream cheese frosting. Am I right? No? If cream cheese frosting is wrong, I dont want to be right.
The best cream cheese frosting is lusciously creamy, sweet and tangy. Its the perfect counterpart to sweet, tender, fluffy cake. To make it, youll only need a few basic ingredients: cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
Cream cheese frosting is undeniably fantastic on carrot cake, so Im sharing this recipe just in time for tomorrows carrot cake recipe. Its also wonderful on vanilla cake, lemon cake, banana cake, gingerbread cake and chocolate cake.
Yes, chocolate cake. My mom always orders me a chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting for our favorite local bakery. If you havent had chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting, youve been missing out!
Also Check: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
Fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
This fluffy cream cheese icing is everyones favorite carrot cake frosting recipe and is often used for red velvet cake icing as well. Since it tastes delicious and is so simple to make, its easy to see why.
Cream cheese frosting is by far my favorite icing to use on cakes and cupcakes.
It is not too sweet, goes with almost any kind of cake and is surprisingly easy to make.
And even though it seems like the cream cheese might make it heavy, it really doesnt.
Especially when you know the secret to making the icing fluffy.
Since it is white, you can easily add a few drops of food coloring to match the decor of whatever party you are throwing.
In the picture above, a couple of drops of red food coloring gives the icing the pink color.
Pumpkin Cake Topped With The Best Cream Cheese Frosting Is The Perfect Fall Dessert Easy To Make Super Moist And Loaded With Delicious Pumpkin Flavor
This pumpkin spice cake couldnt be any easier to make, it only takes a few minutes to whip together, and only has a few ingredients for both the cake and the cream cheese frosting.
I like to keep a couple cans of canned pumpkin on hand throughout the year since its harder to find when its not fall , so I always have everything I need to make this amazing pumpkin cake in my pantry, all year long.
Also Check: Turtle Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
Helpful Tips Tricks & Equipment
- Vanilla prices have skyrocketed over the past couple of years because of a worldwide vanilla bean shortage. I used to buy my beloved Nielsen-Massey by the 32-ounce jug on Amazon…but the current price for a mass quantity like that is rather heart stopping. So these days, I tend to buy a smaller bottle of “the good stuff” and only use it in my favorite recipes where the vanilla flavor truly shines through.
- This frosting recipe holds up best when chilled. It is pretty soft at room temperature, meaning it’s not the best choice for frosting an elaborate cake that needs strength and structure.
- I usually frost my cake or cupcakes ahead of time, refrigerate, and then let them come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.
Refrigerate For Future Use
Because this icing is made with cream cheese, it does need to be refrigerated to stay fresh and hold its shape.
You can store it in an air tight containers for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Let it warm up before attempting to spread it.
If it seems lumpy, mix it in the mixer until it gets its fluffiness back.
Don’t Miss: Wedding Cake Steps For A Pool
Can You Tint It With Color
Yes absolutely. You can use gel food coloring, liquid food coloring , or powdered coloring such as beet powder . Remember when tinting a little goes a long way.
How do You Make Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting?
To make chocolate cream cheese frosting just add 6 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder to the mixture when adding powdered sugar. You can see it on this cake here.
How Do You Make Cream Cheese Frosting
To make cream cheese frosting, youll need your butter and cream cheese, which should basically be at room temperature. Keep in mind though that if youre in a pretty warm climate, room temperature may be little too warm. So as you consider the right consistency for the butter and cream cheese, it should be a little cool to the touch, but soft enough that if poked, it makes an indention without your finger going straight through it.
As for ratio of butter to cream cheese, I use a little less butter and a little more cream cheese. If youre going for a cream cheese frosting, I say really go for it. Theres not a big decrease in butter, but just enough to make sure it doesnt steal the show.
Once youve combined your cream cheese and butter so that its nice and smooth , its time to add the powdered sugar. I know its tempting to reduce the amount of powdered sugar and might seem harmless, but this is what adds volume and structure to the frosting. If you reduce the amount of powdered sugar, just know that itll affect the final consistency. If youre looking for a pipe-able frosting, be sure to use the full amount.
The final ingredient is the vanilla extract, which adds nice flavor to the cream cheese frosting for that last final touch!
Read Also: Wedding Cake Stairs For Above Ground Pools
Nothing Bundt Cakes: A Versatile Frosting
Not only does this frosting go great with Bundt cakes, but it tastes great with several other desserts. It has a great sweet taste that compliments many baked goods. This frosting also goes great with cinnamon rolls, brownies, red velvet cake, carrot cake, and sugar cookies.
This frosting is also easy to work with. It works great for piping decorations and is easy to spread. However, it does not hold up well if it is in warm temperatures.
Favorite Cream Cheese Frosting
Learn how to make sweet and tangy cream cheese frosting with this easy recipe. This favorite frosting is creamy and thick, holds its shape when piped, and tastes incredible on carrot cake, spice cake, and so much more. You only need 5 ingredients, but make sure you use a block of cream cheese, not cream cheese spread.
Do you need that little something *extra* for your desserts?
And are you tired of vanilla buttercream all the time?
Cream cheese frosting is my #1 favorite frosting for cakes, cupcakes, quick breads, and more. In fact, its the most common frosting used in my kitchen. I use it on everything from pumpkin cake and carrot cake cupcakes to banana cake, red velvet cake, and more.
Its smooth, creamy, and spreads onto baked goods with ease. Its flavor is the perfect balance of sweet and tangy and you only need 5 ingredients total!
You May Like: Where Can I Buy Opera Cake
How To Store Cream Cheese Frosting
While cream cheese needs to be stored in the fridge, there can sometimes be a little wiggle room with cream cheese frosting. Although it safest to store it in the fridge and thats what I do, if youre home is kept at about 70 degrees or cooler, the frosting should be fine to sit on the counter for a day or so. If youre going to leave it out longer than that though, Id refrigerate it. If you do refrigerate it prior to adding it to your cake or cupcakes, youll want to let it sit out and soften up again before using it.
Cream Cheese Frosting for Cakes
- 16 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 10 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract