Easy Ice Cream Desserts To Try This Summer
Who doesn’t love ice cream on a hot day? From ice cream cakes and sandwiches to ice cream s’mores, these cool recipes are perfect for a hot summer nightor, honestly, pretty much anytime. And if you want to be a little bit extra? You can even make your own homemade ice cream to create these dreamy, creamy ice cream desserts.
Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Ingredients
Ice Cream Sandwiches- This recipe uses a total of 6 vanilla sandwiches to build the two layers of this ice cream cake. I use Blue Bunny brand, but you can use any brand you can find in your local grocery store. The only requirement really is that they are rectangular, or your cake will have lots of gaps.
You may even experiment with different flavors you find! You can try Neapolitan, cookies and cream, or even mint!
Cool Whip- Technically you can make your own whipped cream if you prefer, but I say keep it simple! An 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip works perfectly for this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe. It even comes in Extra Creamy, Sugar Free, or Lite varieties if you have a preference!
Oreos- You only need 4 or 5 crushed Oreos for the Oreo layer, but you are of course welcome to add more! There are also lots of fun flavors to experiment with here if are feeling creative. Mint Oreos work great with Mint flavored ice cream sandwiches! Or you can do what I do and use Double Stuffed!
Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipes
Senior Editor of Food, Style and Shopping at HuffPost
Sometimes you feel like trying, sometimes you dont. This collection of easy ice cream cake recipes is for those days when you want to be rewarded with the maximum amount of joy for doing the least amount of work.
Ice cream cakes can be complicated, with homemade ice cream and scratch-made cake, but were not here for that today. Were here to toss a few pints of ice cream into our grocery carts, slap em into a pan with a few other ingredients and get on our merry way.
A perfect example of an inventive cheat is the Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Slice Cake from food blogger Lovely Little Kitchen. Store-bought ice cream sandwiches are layered with a chocolate peanut butter ganache and chocolate ice cream, then coated in whipped cream and frozen in a loaf pan. Its easy but deceptively impressive-looking once its sliced up.
Or check out this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake from Brown Eyed Baker . Its also made with ice cream sandwiches and just five other ingredients caramel sauce, hot fudge, whipped topping, peanuts and maraschino cherries. Slap it together, freeze it and youre ready to party.
Want a more traditional ice cream cake? Or something entirely different? Maybe you want an ice cream cake that resembles the legendary strawberry shortcake ice cream bars. Browse the recipes below and youll find what youre looking for.
You May Like: Sam’s Club Custom Cakes
How To Make Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
First remove the wrappers from all the ice cream sandwiches. You need to move fast because ice cream melts.
Then lay 3 ice cream sandwiches side by side on a cake platter.
Next drizzle with the caramel and the chocolate.
Then lay another 3 ice cream sandwiches on top going the the other direction. Drizzle with more caramel and chocolate.
Continue this process 2 more times so it is four ice cream sandwiches high.
At this time, if the ice cream sandwiches start to melt, then place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
Now its time for the icing on the cake. I think this might be my favorite part! Ice the cake with the cool whip.
Then drizzle the caramel and the chocolate on top allowing it to drip down the sides.
Freeze the cake for at least 2 hours and then I allow the cake to set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to soften some so its easier to cut and then its ready to serve!
Our Favorite Ice Cream Making Tools
- Cuisinart 2QT Ice Cream Maker – Works with ice cream, sorbets, and frozen yogurt.
- Loaf Pan – You can use any 9 x 13 loaf pan or a shallow pan, but we like this one.
- Ice Cream Scoop – Make sure you have a good ice cream scoop. This is one of our favorites.
- Ice Cream Bowls – You can use any bowl, but we think these are fun.
- Ice Cream Containers – We love keeping a couple of ice cream containers on hand for when we make homemade ice cream.
Note: Each of these links will take you to the exact product on Amazon. As an Amazon associate, I earn a little from each qualifying purchase.
LET’S GET SOCIAL, you can follow us on or leave a comment below if you have any questions.
Did you make this Ice Cream Cake Recipe? Leave a comment below letting us know what you thought and if you added any additional add-ins or tried any other flavors.
Read Also: Wilton Cake Servings Chart
Tips For The Best Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to assemble the cake. Do not thaw the whipped topping on the counter at room temperature, or the texture will be runny.
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften slightly so that you can gently press them down as you’re creating the layers. This will help them fit in the pan!
- Prepare the cake at least 1-2 hours in advance of when you plan to serve it. The cake needs adequate time to firm up in the freezer again before you slice into it.
Variations Of This Recipe
When you follow these easy steps for how to make ice cream cake you are going to be making ice cream cakes all summer long! It is so simple you are going to be making them more then you make ice cream sundaes!
Change up the Ice Cream. You can easily change up the Ice cream flavors that you use with this recipe. For this homemade ice cream cake, you can use any flavor ice cream that you want to. The only thing you need to make sure of when you make this cake is that you are using ice cream that is in a round container.
Change up the cookies. My absolute favorite part of any ice cream cakes is the amazing cookie crunch that is between the layers. I could totally eat it by itself, and sometimes make extra just so I can. I am also the one who puts a TON of cookie crunch in between my ice cream cake layers. There are now lots of different Oreo Cookie flavors that you can use. I use the traditional chocolate Oreo with cream in them, but you can totally experiment with different flavor combinations.
Change up the Shell topping. I use the chocolate fudge shell topping mixed with chocolate Oreos for my ice cream cake cookie crunch, but they also make a Heath Bar shell topping, a Reeses Peanut butter and Chocolate shell topping, Chocolate shell topping and caramel shell topping.
Recommended Reading: Can You Have Rice Cakes On Keto
Super Easy Ice Cream Cake
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I scream, You scream, we all SCREAM for Ice CreamCAKE! If you were to ask me what my favorite cake is, I would probably say this super easyIce Cream Cake. With a buttery cookie crust and layers and layers of creamy ice cream with cookies, hot fudge, caramel drizzled in between. Oh yes!!
So Heres Our Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
- 200 g chocolate chip cookies
- 70 g butter
- 1 litre tub of ice cream I used Kellys Clotted Cream Ice Cream
- 250 g Maltesers
- 100 ml chocolate sauce
- Line a cake tin or springform pan with baking paper and make space in the freezer.
- Melt the butter and crush the cookies. Mix together and line the base of the cake tin. Put in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Mix the ice cream with 170g Maltesers and 100g fudge pieces. Pour into the cake tin and smooth the top. Put in the freezer for an hour.
- Pour the rest of the Maltesers and fudge pieces over the top of the ice cream and cover in the sauce. Put the cake pan back in the freezer to set.
- Run a palette knife around the edge of the cake tin to loosen it and serve in sliced, straight from the freezer.
If youd like to pin or print the ice cream cake recipe for later you can do so below. Enjoy!
Read Also: Sams Club Birthday Cake Order Form
Tips For Making This Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Use Quality Ingredients – When making a homemade ice cream cake, you want to be sure that you’re using high quality store-bought ice cream or fresh homemade ice cream for the best flavor and outcome.
Chill Out – This recipe has multiple chilling steps. You need to chill each layer of the ice cream cake so that the layers don’t melt or run together. Don’t skip or try to lessen the time of these chilling steps.
Fudge Sauce – Store-bought hot fudge sauce is the easiest thing to use in the center of your ice cream cake. Just don’t warm it up before adding it! If you prefer, you can make a homemade fudge sauce and use that instead.
Make it Gluten Free – Gluten free Oreos can be used to make this ice cream dessert gluten free!
Choose Your Cake Pan – In the photos here I used an 8-inch round cake pan that is 3 inches high. Not all cake pans are this high, so you can also use a 9 inch round standard cake pan, freeze the ice cream layers in two separate 8 inch cake pans, or use a springform pan so long as it doesn’t leak.
Easily Cut Your Ice Cream Cake by running a large knife under hot water before each slice.
We also have a recipe for Oreo Ice Cream Cake, if you’re interested.
Instructions To Make Easy Ice Cream Cake :
1. MAKE THE CRUST:Remove the cake pan from your freezer. Measure about 1 cup of chocolate crunchies and mix them with the melted butter and some sugar. Scatter them on the bottom of the pan. Use a measuring cup and press firmly on the bottom. Transfer the cake pan back into the freezer for a few minutes to set the crust.
2. ADD THE FIRST LAYER of ICE CREAM: Start with your first flavor of ice cream. When the ice cream has softened enough to scoop easily, remove the cake pan from your freezer and start with a couple of scoops of ice cream, about 5 to 6 and drop them onto the crust.
3. PRESS THE ICE CREAM: Use the back of the spoon or the ice cream scoop and press the ice cream down. If you feel you need additional ice cream to complete the first layer, then go ahead and add more.
4. SPREAD IT EVENLY: The ice cream evenly into one thick layer, and about 1/3 full.
5. ADD the SECOND LAYER of CRUNCHIES:Scatter with another layer of dark chocolate crunchies over the ice cream.
6. MAKE THE SECOND LAYER oF ICE CREAM: scoop the second flavorof ice cream and place them over the crunchies.
7. SPREAD: Use the back of a spoon or ice cream scoop to flatten it all into an even layer.
8. TOP WITH the FINAL LAYER:with chocolate crunchies. Then place the cake back into the freezer for a few minutes.
9. FINAL LAYER ON TOP: When the whipped topping is completely thawed, remove the cake pan from the freezer and begin to spoon some of the whipped cream on top as the final layer.
Recommended Reading: Dairy Queen Make Your Own Cake
How To Make No Churn Ice Cream
- In a small bowl whisk together the sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, set aside.
- Whip the whole cream until stiff peaks form.
- Then add a little whipped cream to the vanilla/sweetened condensed milk mixture.
- This makes it easier to combine.
- Fold in the rest of the whipped cream mixture and combine. Its now ready to be frozen as is in a pan of choice or used in this Ice Cream Cake.
- Be sure to freeze until firm, for at least 3-5 hours or over night is probably best.
Gluten Free Ice Cream Cake
Super easy to make GF do watch your ice cream ingredients and your toppings, purchase Gluten Free Sandwich cookies or Chocolate Cookie, you might have to reduce butter so doesnt get too mushy. Also works great using GF Graham Crackers and butter.
Pulse or crush until medium fine crumbs then pour in melted butter.
Pulsing until combined, not long, you dont want to make a paste out of it. Reserve ¾ to 1 cup of the crumb mixture. Pat the balance of the crumbs into an 8, 9 or 10springform pan So I dont get my hands all crumby, I like to use a piece of plastic wrap to press the crumbs evenly. If you make it in a smaller springform, youll just adjust your ice cream amounts as you fill the pan, no special recipe here.
Also Check: Wilton Baking Chart
A Few Great Tips For Success
- I used a frozen dairy-free coconut whipped topping for the top of our ice cream cake. Its located in the freezer section of any supermarket. But you can use any whipped topping you prefer. When you bring it home, keep it in your refrigerator to thaw so its ready when you need it.
- Its best to chill your springform pan in your freezer or fridge for a few minutes before you start. This will help prevent the ice cream from melting too quickly while youre putting it together.
- Also, it is a good idea to wrap the bottom of the pan with a sheet of foil to keep from any ice cream coming through while you are putting it together.
- Keep in mind, you will not be using the entire container of ice cream, unless you use a larger springform pan.
- Plus, if you plan to use a larger size springform pan, you will need to increase the amounts of ice cream and crunchies needed.
How To Store A Homemade Ice Cream Cake
You have ice cream cake leftovers? I’m not sure that’s ever happened in my house! You should obviously store any leftover ice cream cake in the freezer so you can enjoy it later. Wrap it with plastic wrap to keep it from freezer burn or crystalizing. It will be best enjoyed within 7-10 days.
Avoid letting the ice cream cake soften too much if you plan to re-freeze it.
If you want to make your ice cream cake ahead of time, it’s easiest to make it minus the whipped cream frosting for storage, then make the frosting and decorate the cake the day you plan to serve it.
A disposable cake box or a plastic cake taker will be useful for storing your cake in the freezer.
Recommended Reading: Does Dairy Queen Sell Ice Cream Cakes