Why Trust The Spruce Eats
This roundup was written by Brigitt Earley, who has written and edited hundreds of articles in the food space for various publications over the course of the last 10 years. Brigitt also attended the French Culinary Institute in NYC. Her kitchen is stocked with a mixture of Nordic Ware and Calphalon baking pans.
This piece was edited by Bernadette Machard de Gramont, an LA-based writer who specializes in global food and wine content. She researches and tests a variety of cookware, bakeware, and wine tools, and interviews field experts for their insight.
Nordic Ware Leak Proof Springform Pan 10 Cup Assorted Colors 9 Inch
New & Used from $32.61FREE Delivery
|9.8D x 9.8W x 3H centimeters|
- The soft color will brighten up your kitchen
- Aluminum conducts heat more evenly and leak proof design
- Nonstick coating for easy food release and cleanup
- Dishwasher safe
- This item: Nordic Ware Leak Proof Springform Pan, 10 Cup, Assorted Colors, 9 Inch$48.45Get it by Sunday, Jul 3 FREE Shipping on orders over $35 shipped by AmazonIn Stock.Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca.
- Get it by Saturday, Jul 2 Only 1 left in stock.Sold by Boxiki and ships from Amazon Fulfillment.
- Get it by Tuesday, Jul 12 $7.12 shippingIn Stock.Sold by IDMACommerce and ships from Amazon Fulfillment.
Petite Cakes Are Perfectly Scaled To Fit Life’s Everyday Celebrations
This sturdy 6 round cake pan is perfect for making tiered cakes or other stacked layer cakes to accommodate smaller gatherings with impressive results! Made of cast aluminum for superior baking performance, this USA-made pan provides even heat distribution for great, reliable baking results every time. Heavy-duty, quality pan won’t rust, and reinforced rim means no warping so you can rely on it for many celebrations to come.
Don’t Miss: Wedding Cake Pool Steps With Light
Nordic Ware Naturals For Sur La Table Cake Pan
- Aluminum pans provide even, consistent heat and are favored by professional bakers and pastry chefs
- Rims are reinforced with galvanized steel to prevent warping
- Creator of the original Bundt® pan, Nordic Ware has produced quality cookware in Minneapolis, Minnesota, with locally sourced materials since 1946
- Nordic Ware is a family-owned American manufacturer with over 60 years of experience making quality cookware and bakeware
- Manufacturer: Nordic Ware for Sur La Table
- Material: Aluminum
- Small: 8.5″ x 8.5″ x 2.25″ 8″ x 8″ x 2″
- Large: 9.5″ x 9.5″ x 2.25″ 9″ x 9″
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Sign up and be the first to know about new product launches, seasonal recipe features, and exclusive discounts. As a thank you for signing up, well email you a one-time code for $5 off when you spend $85 or more on www.nordicware.com , plus free shipping! Offer is available to first-time subscribers only.
Read Also: Wedding Pool Steps
Nordic Ware Naturals 9
A kitchen must-have, this Nordic Ware cake pan is a baker’s go-to.
- Aluminum construction ensures superior heat conductivity to help baked goods rise, brown and bake evenly
- Extra high sides prevent overflow and bake taller cakes
- Reinforced steel rim prevents warping
- Rust resistant
- Oven safe to 400°F
- Manufacturer’s lifetime limited warranty
- For warranty information please click here
- 2.5″H x 9.6″W x 9.6″D
- Model no. 46900M
Promotional offers available online at Kohls.com may vary from those offered in Kohl’s stores.
Scan the code to downloadthe Kohls App today.
Android, Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google Inc. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
The Cake Pan Buying Guide
- If youre baking traditional cakes, you want a pan with a little edge. And were not talking edge as in attitude. Flared or tapered tops might be fine if youre baking bread or muffin-type dishes that meant to rise and puff out, but its not much good for cakes or anything you need to decorate around the sides. Most bakers prefer straight sides that come up at a right angle.
- Most kitchens will have more than one cake pan. If storage is tight, look for sets of pans that can nest one inside the other, making it easier to save space.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Nothing Bundt Cake
Best Round Pan: Usa Pan Nonstick 9
Silicone nonstick coating is PTFE, PFOA, and BPA-free
Fluted design minimizes surface contact for easy release
If you can only choose one cake pan to stock your kitchen with, let it be a round pan. Its a solid choice for nearly any recipe and will see you through special events like birthdays, showers, and even elaborate wedding cakes. This 9-inch pan has a nonstick PTFE, PFOA, and BPA-free coating and a fluted design that makes removing baked goods a breezeeven for beginners. Bonusthis also makes cleanup simple all you need is hot water, mild soap, and a sponge.
The pan’s durable construction is also resistant to warping, which adds to the longevity of the cake pan. Even years later, youll be churning out even, attractive cakes.
Material: Aluminized steel | Oven Maximum: 450 degrees | Dishwasher Safe: No
Nordic Ware Naturals Nonstick 8 Round Layer Cake Pan
WINNER – HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Solidly built, with a light gold nonstick coating, this pan produced tall, fluffy, level cakes. Layers shaped up perfectly, no matter how the pan was greased. Upside-down cake and pizza released and browned well, but cinnamon buns were too pale.
We maintain strict objectivity in all testing.*
Dimensions: 8.63″D x 8.63″W x 2.13″HItem Number: ATKNCP
This item is final sale and cannot be returned.This item can only be shipped within the United StatesSee return policy for details.
FREE STANDARD SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $50: Ships within 2-3 days.Need it faster? Choose expedited shipping at checkout.
*Expedited shipping may not be available for all America’s Test Kitchen Exclusive Deal items.
Terms and Conditions: One coupon code per ATK Shop order .
* OBJECTIVITY FIRST, LAST, AND ALWAYS.
Americas Test Kitchen does not accept advertising and conducts equipment tests without the knowledge of product manufacturers. Exclusive equipment offers are sourced only after the test results have been published in our magazines and on our websites.
You May Like: Sams Bakery Cake Designs
Cake Batter Tips And Tricks
- Make sure your butter, eggs, and milk are all room temperature before beginning . Room temperature ingredients emulsify when mixed and create a creamy, even batter that bakes up fluffy in the oven.
- Sift or whisk your dry ingredients together. This removes clumps and helps make a smooth, even batter.
- Mix your dry ingredients just enough to incorporate them into the batter. Overmixing can overwork the gluten, causing your cake to turn out tough.
- I recommend using a hand mixer on medium speed for creaming together your butter, sugar, and eggs. Then, switch to low speed for adding the dry ingredients and milk.
Top left: Butter and sugar creamed together, Top right: Eggs and vanilla added to the batter, Bottom left: Adding milk and flour, Bottom right: Fully mixed batter.
How Do You Get The Cake Out Of The Pan
Most cakes require a little cooling off before attempting to remove them from their baking pana just-baked cake tends to fall apart when it’s hot. Your recipe should specify how long to wait, but if it doesn’t say, wait at least 15 to 20 minutes. Then gently flip your cake over and set it on a wire rack to finish cooling completely.
Don’t Miss: Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake
The 9×13 Pan Buying Guide
- Some 9×13 pans arent dishwasher-safe. Youll need to wash them by hand using warm soapy water and a dishcloth. There are also models that are listed as dishwasher safe, but their product label states hand washing will extend the life of the pan.
- Check to see if the company selling the 9×13 pan supports any charities. There are a few that donate a portion of their proceeds to nonprofit organizations that help parents and children learn more about healthy eating.
- Make sure you understand the terms of any included warranties. Some lifetime warranties are limited to certain defects, which means you wont be able to request a refund for just any reason.
- Since all of the baking dishes are the same size, youll need to consider their features when reviewing prices. The Wilton Nonstick 9×13-Inch Pan is a basic model with a plastic lid, and therefore one of the most affordable pans. Youll find the Rachael Ray Nonstick 9×13-Inch Baking Pan and Nordic Ware 9×13-Inch Covered Cake Pan in the middle of the price scale. This is because the Rachel Ray pan has silicone grips and the Nordic Ware has an aluminum lid.
Best For Birthdays: Wilton Countless Celebrations 10
May still need to cut cake to shape
Minor leakage can happen under dividers
If you really want to surprise the special birthday honoree, trade your typical round cake for a more highly personalized one. This affordable 10-piece set comes with a unique rectangular pan that features a grid and inserts that allow you to create any letter of the alphabet and numbers from zero to nine.
Despite the perceived intricacy, theres little fuss for the baker to endure. The pan, which is made of steel and has a nonstick coating, allows for both easy release and quick cleanuptwo things youll be grateful for when you have a lengthy to-do list to tackle in preparation for the party.
Material: Nonstick coated steel | Oven Maximum: 450 degrees | Dishwasher Safe: Yes
Allows novice bakers to achieve professional layer style
Layers are on the thin side
May take trial and error to get desired results depending on cake batter
Just because youre a doesnt mean you have to stick to simple one-layer cakesparticularly if you have this four-piece set at your disposal. With a single box of cake mix, youll have enough batter to fill all four pans, creating four 8-inch layers that dont require any cutting to assemble. It is also available in a five-pan, 6-inch diameter set as well.
Material: Nonstick coated steel | Oven Maximum: 450 degrees | Dishwasher Safe: Yes
Read Also: Wedding Cake Above Ground Pool Steps
An Overview On Cake Pans
You wouldnt know it from the drama and flair that surrounds shows like Cupcake Wars and The Great British Bake-Off, but baking is a lot more science than art. You can measure your ingredients and set your timers perfectly every time, but theres still one variable many bakers forget to factor in: The bakeware.
A good cake pan isnt just a handy receptacle for holding that yummy batter. Its an element that can radically change the taste and look of your dish if the material, size, and even the color arent just right. So whats the best one to buy?
As with most kitchenware, it depends on what youre baking. Lets start with the material. Most cake pans are made of metal and theres a reason for that. Overall, they heat up as quickly as they cool down.
Mind you, not just any metal will do. Stainless steels durability and resistance to rust makes it a great material for skillets and sheet pans. But it conducts heat slowly relative to other metals, making it a cheaper choice for cake pans.
Aluminum, on the hand, heats up perfectly which may balance out the fact that its not as durable as a pure metal. It may also impart a funny taste to acidic foods like tomatoes or citrus. To mitigate that, look for higher-gauge aluminum pans or those made with anodized aluminum. This is aluminum thats been subjected to an electrolytic process that hardens the outer layer. Without getting into the science, it also makes it non-stick and non-reactive with acidic foods.
What Size Pan To Use
This recipe works as written in three different sizes:
- 9×13 baking pan
- Two 9-inch round cake pans
- 13×18 half sheet pan
So, what size do you choose? This is totally up to personal preference. I have tested this recipe in all three sizes and they all turn out tender, moist, and delicious.
Both the 9×13 and 13×18 sheet cakes can remain in the pan after baking. Simply frost, slice, and serve! Round cakes need to be removed from their pans, trimmed, assembled, and frosted. This will take extra skill, patience, and frosting .
Suggested baking pans:
Read Also: Baby Shower Cakes Sam’s Club
Prism 9 Round Cake Pan
This classic sized 9″ cake pan is perfect for simple layer cakes and comes with Prism embossed bottom. Embossed Natural Aluminum Bakeware enhances the look and performance of our hugely popular baking pans. Exclusive Prism grid adds durability and provides easy release while also improving air flow for uniform crisping. Encapsulated galvanized steel rims prevent warping.
Best For Wedding Cakes: Hiware Springform Pan Set
Not entirely leakproof with thinner batters
Difficult to clean in crevices
Theres little room for error when youre making something as special as a wedding cake, but this three-layered set from HiWare will help you tackle this sort of ambitious project with minimal fuss. It comes with three differently sized nonstick springform pans that make it easy to remove each layer without damage. As a bonus, youll also get an icing spatula to help spread the frosting evenly and an icing smoother for creating beautiful designs.
Because each pan is made with durable carbon steel that resists warping and can withstand temperatures up to 450 degrees, the set is built to lastno matter how many cakes you have in your future. The nonstick surface makes this mostly easy to clean, though you might have to use a scrubber brush to really dig into the crevices around the spring mechanism and latch.
Material: Nonstick coated carbon steel | Oven Maximum: 450 degrees | Dishwasher Safe: No
Can be hard to grip with oven mitts
Reinforced rolled edges prevent the pan from warping, and the durable nonstick surface helps your cakes to release easily. When it comes to convenient clean-up, you cant really beat this option. Unlike many baking pans, this one can be put right into the dishwasher.
Material: Nonstick coated steel | Oven Maximum: 500 degrees | Dishwasher Safe: Yes
Whimsical design that looks great when baked
Top of the line construction
Recommended Reading: Dairy Free Nothing Bundt Cakes
Metal Vs Glass Baking Pans
Did you know that there is a difference in baking with metal versus baking with glass?
Metal, like aluminum, is a conductor, meaning it heats up quickly and allows heat to pass through easily. This bakes your cake evenly and quickly. Metal pans are also basically indestructible!
Glass is an insulator, meaning it takes longer to heat up, but will stay hot for longer. Baking a cake in glass can take longer than baking in a metal pan, which often translates into overcooked edges while waiting for the center to finish.
The benefit of glass is that you can see your cake while it bakes, ensuring the edges don’t burn. It’s also visually pleasing to serve a cake in a glass pan.
While I did bake my 9×13 cake in a glass pan for these photos, I recommend using an aluminum pan instead. Metal is easier to work with overall, and your cake is more likely to bake evenly throughout.
Here’s a great article with more details: Bon Appetit – Is It Better to Bake in Glass or Metal?