Drumstick Cake The Best Homemade Ice
I admit I can not take full credit for this ice-cream cake recipe. Isnt that true of ALL the very best recipes?!? Theyve been handed down from one mom to another over the years!
Back when I was in college, I worked part-time at a bank with a wonderful group of moms. Id often encourage Friday pot lucks because they were all AMAZING bakers and cooks. Some of my favorite recipes today, some twenty years later, originated from this group of women.
I want to take a moment to give a big THANK YOU to Sherry for passing this Drumstick Cake recipe on to me so that I can pass it on to your family today.
Lets get to that ice-cream cake recipe, shall we?!?
How To Make No
FIRST STEP: In a large bowl, pour in the whipping cream and whip until very stiff peaks form.
SECOND STEP: Using a medium-sized bowl, combine the condensed milk and sugar and blend.
THIRD STEP: Slowly pour the condensed milk mixture into whipped cream while whipping continually.
FOURTH STEP: Pour ice cream mixture into a loaf pan smooth out.
FIFTH STEP: Chill your condensed milk, heavy whipping cream, and loaf tin in the fridge before you start it will make everything freeze more easily.
SIXTH STEP: Scoop out 3 tablespoons of frosting and place them randomly on top of the ice cream mixture.
SEVENTH STEP: Using a knife, drag frosting through the ice cream mix, making a swirl pattern.
EIGHTH STEP: Using a clean knife, scoop out additional frosting and smooth it on top of the ice cream.
NINTH STEP: Continue until youre pleased with how it looks. You can also swirl in sprinkles with the frosting as well.
TENTH STEP: Embellish with sprinkles and freeze for 3+ hours.
Ice Cream Cake Options
Theres more than one way to make an ice cream cake it should involve at least one flavor of frozen treat, but the traditional cake layers can be replaced by brownies, crushed cookie layers, rice cereal treats, or even pulverized pretzels. Or you can just go all in on the ice cream with a thin layer of cookie crumbles in the middle, a la Carvel.
Related Reading: The Best Dairy-Free Ice Cream Brands to Buy | Our Favorite Ice Cream Parlors That Deliver
And you can top it off with various sauces and extras, with or without whipped cream. Really, you can use any ice cream cake recipe as a template and make swaps as you please, mixing and matching your favorite ice cream flavors and other ingredients to build your ultimate summer dessert.
Also Check: Turtle Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
Easy Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Cake
Whether you like to enjoy a scoop full of ice cream or wish to cut it just like a cake, this recipe wont disappoint you. Here is an interesting take on ice creams that uses a crispy crust of Oreo cookie crumbs beneath a delectable ice cream mixture that doesnt call for any special machines to get all set. All you need to do is mix everything together and let it freeze for some time. Simply cut out the Easy Homemade Oreo Ice cream Cake into squares and serve it with a cute Oreo cookie on top to see those huge smiles popping up!
Recipe Details :
How To Make Ice Cream Cake
There are lots of different methods, sizes and shapes of ice cream cakes out there. I tried to make mine as simple and straight forward as possible, using 8 inch metal cake pans lined with plastic wrap and store bought everything. When youre planning a party, who has time to home make EVERYTHING?! Not this girl.
Be sure to watch my video tutorial below to ensure success. And, if you happen to be working in a warmer kitchen, dont be afraid to assemble the cake first, freeze again and then finish frosting and decorating.
You May Like: Turtle Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
How To Make An Oreo Ice Cream Cake:
- Start with a decadent Oreo crust: This crust requires only two ingredients and almost zero effort!
- Layer with softened ice cream: Removing the ice cream from the freezer about 20 minutes beforehand makes the layering and mixing process a snap.
- Freeze between layers: Taking the time to freeze the cake between each layer will make cake-building a mess-free endeavor, with clear layers!
- Once the cake has been assembled its all ready to be decorated. I suggest a combination of whipped cream or whipped topping, chocolate sauce, and Oreo cookies.
Combine The Frozen Strawberries And Sugar In A Food Processor Or Blender
May 11, 2002 · step 1. Stir yogurt and sugar into Pour strawberry mixture into frozen bowl and freeze in back Process until the fruit is roughly chopped. Once it boils, give the pot a stir and reduce the heat to a Prepare the strawberry ice cream mixture as usual. 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled.
May 11, 2002 · step 1. Pour strawberry mixture into frozen bowl and freeze in back Stir yogurt and sugar into Once it boils, give the pot a stir and reduce the heat to a Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Mar 22, 2021 · freeze a large metal bowl or glass mixing bowl overnight . 1 quart fresh strawberries, hulled. Process until the fruit is roughly chopped.
8 Heavenly Cakes and Desserts in Jars That Won’t Let You from www.diyncrafts.com
Prepare the strawberry ice cream mixture as usual. Easy, eggless strawberry ice cream. Jun 19, 2020 · original recipe yields 6 servings. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour. Be sure to scale recipe down if you have a countertop model. Combine the frozen strawberries and sugar in a food processor or blender. Stir yogurt and sugar into With the processor running, slowly
Also Check: Wedding Cake Steps
What You Need To Make This Recipe
Ice cream I recommend using real dairy ice cream. Sometimes youll see ice cream labeled as frozen dessert, which might seem confusing. Ice cream is made from milk fats, while a frozen dessert uses vegetable oil fats instead. I find that frozen dessert does not soften as evenly and doesnt refreeze as nicely.
Chocolate cake you can use my favorite chocolate cake recipe and freeze the two extra layers in the recipe or a box mix. Its up to you!
Hot fudge again, feel free to use my hot fudge recipe or buy it from the store. The hot fudge sauce is not just to decorate the cake with but to help the Oreos stick to the cake layer. Using a substitute like chocolate syrup wont work as it wont firm up the same.
Tips For The Best Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to assemble the cake. Do not thaw the whipped topping on the counter at room temperature, or the texture will be runny.
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften slightly so that you can gently press them down as you’re creating the layers. This will help them fit in the pan!
- Prepare the cake at least 1-2 hours in advance of when you plan to serve it. The cake needs adequate time to firm up in the freezer again before you slice into it.
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Gluten Free Ingredients List
Fun Facts About Ice Cream Cakes:
- Inspiration for the first ice cream cakes probably came from trifle desserts and the Baked Alaska.
- Ice cream cakes are popular in North America and Australia. They are not as common in Europe.
- Carvel is well known for selling ice cream cakes, but Baskin Robbins, Dairy Queen, Friendlys and Cold Stone Creamery sell them too.
- In 1977, Carvel debuted the Fudgie the Whale ice cream cake for Fathers Day. It was advertised as a cake for a whale of a Dad.
- There are some people who argue that ice cream cakes are not really cake!
Banana Split Ice Cream Cake
Talking about ice cream sundaes, one just cant forget to mention Banana Splits. But here is something that cant be called just another regular banana split treat, as this one is an irresistible ice cream cake sitting on top of a crunchy Oreo crust. It has got numerous layers of unbeatable flavours sliced bananas, smooth strawberry ice cream, strawberry sundae topping, chocolate ice cream, hot fudge sauce, vanilla ice cream and pineapple sundae topping. The final garnishing of whipped cream and chopped walnuts comes out just right with that cherry on top.
Recipe Details : browneyedbaker
Recommended Reading: Wilton Cake Batter Chart
So Lets Get This Straight I Am Not A Cake Decorator
Never have, never will be. That is no surprise to you because that is not why you visit my blog. You visit my blog for my charming wit, funny stories, and really easy recipes. Not because I make the prettiest dessert goods. Now if you are looking for pretty cakes and even tutorials, I know a few blogs you can visit that will give you exactly what you are looking for. Two of my personal favorite cake and dessert based blogs are Sweetapolita and The Cake Blog. They both have tutorials and photos that will make you drool. They make cake decorating seem so easy, but it really isnt. It takes lots of practice and lots of mistakes to perfect that kind of art.
Dessert decorating requires passion and a true love for cake decorating because you need a great deal of patience, which I do not have. I am so impatient when it comes to cake decorating I cant even watch the show Cake Wars because it takes so long and the amount of detail the bakers put into their cakes is absolutely insane to me. In fact, they make their cakes look so pretty I dont even want to eat them afterward because of the work they did. All that time making a cake look pretty only for it to stand for a few hours before it gets destroyed. So this Birthday Ice Cream Cake recipe I created didnt require many man hours and the only thing I needed to make this cake look gorgeous was a lot of sprinkles.
What Sets This Ice Cream Cake Apart:
- Real cake! So many ice cream cake recipes are really just blocks of ice cream with whipped cream and frosting. Not this recipe! This ice cream cake is made with yummy chocolate cake and ice cream and a layer of fudge sauce in the center.
- Adaptable: Feel free to make this recipe with yellow cake, or even a boxed cake mix! You can also vary the toppings and ice cream flavors. Find more ideas below.
- No special equipment. All you need is an 8 or 9 inch baking pan .
You May Like: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
Truly Beautiful Ice Cream Cakes
The day they legalize dessert marriage, you’ll find me at City Hall.
Deb at Smitten is 100% absolutely insane, and thus decided to DIY every single component of this cake, from ice cream to cookies to fudge sauce. The good news is that you have no obligation to do the same you could just buy and assemble all of the ingredients and it would still be awesome. Recipe here.
Is that pretty or is that PRETTY? Recipe here.
How To Store An Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake is actually a great recipe to make ahead. You can layer everything together, cover it and leave it in the pan you built it in. It should be fine sitting in the pan for about a week ahead of time. Then you can frost it the of or the day before you need it so that the decorations looks nice and fresh.
After decorating, its ideal to store it in a container in the freezer. If you dont have a container that size or space in your freezer, itll be fine for a few days in your freezer.
Read Also: Jamoca Almond Fudge Cake Baskin Robbins
How To Make An Ice Cream Cake
1. Line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Transfer all the ice cream to your lined cake pan and then cover with another layer of plastic. Press down into a flat layer and freeze.
2. Prepare and cool an 8-inch chocolate cake and cover the top with the chocolate fudge sauce using an offset spatula.
3. Sprinkle chopped cookies on top of the hot fudge.
4. Remove the ice cream layer from the freezer, unwrap it, and place it on top of the fudge. Cover the whole thing in plastic and place in the freezer while you make the whipped cream.
5. Combine cold whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and mix starting on low. Gradually increase speed to high and mix until very soft peaks form. Finish off by whisking the whipped cream by hand until the peaks firm up. See my Whipped Cream Recipe for more instructions.
6. Cover the cake with the whipped cream and transfer the rest to a piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip.
7. Pipe a drip of chocolate onto the edge of the entire cake.
8. Pipe a scalloped pattern onto the top edge of the cake with the reserved whipped cream. Press crumbled cookies onto the bottom edge, and the cake is ready to serve.
How To Customize An Ice Cream Cake
The best part about ice cream cake is that its so simple to customize with endless flavor options.
I like to use store-brought ice cream for the obvious reason that it makes this recipe that much easier to throw together. But also, because you can buy any flavor of ice cream making it that much easier to change the flavors.
However, my favorite was to customize the ice cream is to add my own mix-ins. So for this recipe, I added chocolate cake into the ice cream, but here are a few other suggestions, think of it like the menu at Cold Stone, the options are endless!
- Crushed cookies: Oreos, chocolate chip, sugar cookies, you name it.
- Candies: M& Ms, Kit Kats, Snickers, gummy worms, you get the idea.
- Nuts, sprinkles or chocolate chips
Recommended Reading: Wedding Cake Steps For A Pool
Brownie Ice Cream Parfaits
Individual brownie parfaits are an all-around simpler way to make an ice cream cakeand you can assemble them at the last minute. Just layer fresh-baked brownies, ice cream, fresh raspberries, and whipped cream. Hot fudge and caramel sauce optional but encouraged. Get our Brownie Ice Cream Parfaits recipe.
Tulip Sundae Glasses, 4 for $18.99 from Amazon
Totally charming vessels for your individual ice cream desserts.