How To Make The Strawberry Crunchies
I tried a couple different options for these crunchies. One option was using golden Oreos as a cookie base and then flavoring some of them to be strawberry. The other option was playing around with using pudding mix strawberry and vanilla to add flavoring. Ultimately I didnt think either of those gave the right flavor.
I ended up deciding on completely homemade crunchies. Youll need:
- All purpose flour
- Vanilla extract
Youll use some flour, sugar and butter in each of the flavors of crunchy. Then youll add freeze dried strawberries for the strawberry crunchies and the vanilla extract for the vanilla ones. You basically make a crumble with each flavor and then bake them in the oven to crisp them up. After cooling, you can crumble them up further, if needed.
While freeze dried strawberries might be a little harder to find , they add the most real strawberry flavor and is definitely the way to go.
Add Fudge And Cookie Crumble
Lauren Habermehl for Taste of Home
Next, pour a generous layer of the chocolate ganache over the chocolate ice cream layer. Smooth with an offset spatula before sprinkling the ganache with the chilled cookie crumbles. Gently smooth out the crumbles to form an even layer. Freeze the chocolate ice cream, fudge and cookie crumble layers for 20-30 minutes until firm.
What If I Dont Have Powdered Sugar
Granulated sugar can work in a pinch, but sometimes the whipped cream will weep as it loses the air bubbles whipped into the cream at a faster rate when using granulated sugar which is why I prefer powdered sugar. If you use granulated sugar, be sure to consume it immediately! You can also make your own by following my guide on How to Make Powdered Sugar.
You May Like: Most Popular Bundt Cake Flavors
How To Make Chocolate Cake
1. Butter and flour three 8-inch cake pans. I highly recommend using cake strips for a more even bake. Sift together the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
2 Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
4. Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes. Distribute batter evenly to the three pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I recommend rotating the pans halfway through the bake. Allow time to cool for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool fully.
5. In a small bowl combine the semi-sweet chocolate with 2 tbs of cream then microwave for 40 secs on half power. Stir to combine then set aside. Whip the butter for about 5 minutes using a paddle attachment . Beat in the confectioners sugar slowly. Add the cream. Slowly mix in the ¼ cup of cocoa powder. Add the salt, as well. You may add the optional vanilla and espresso at this step. Mix until you have a fluffy, even consistency. Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate ganache.
6. Pipe chocolate buttercream between each layer.
7. Pipe the buttercream on the outside of the cake. Smooth with a bench scraper and offset spatula. Press cocoa nibs or chopped chocolate onto the bottom of the cake .
8. Use an 869 tip to pipe dollops on top.
Easy Copycat Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake
As a kid, I rarely had the same birthday cake twice. I like all kinds of cake too much to stick with one. Regular cake, cheesecake, ice cream cakes you name it. The only one I didnt need to have for my birthday was a cookie cake, because I knew I could depend on my dad for that one at his birthday. So naturally, Ive tried quite a few cakes including ice cream cakes.
So, these days I feel like Im a bit of an ice cream cake connoisseur. Theres definitely something to love about all the different kinds available, but when it comes to a Dairy Queen ice cream cake, that middle layer of chocolate fudge along with the chocolate crunchies is pure heaven. Often, Id just dig that right out from between the ice cream and eat it alone. So darn good!
When I started playing around with ice cream cakes several years ago, I did a fair amount of experimenting with that middle fudge layer and finally perfected it. Ive shared it before, but never for this copycat cake so Im excited to share it with you today.
Read Also: Birthday Cake Steps For Above Ground Pool
The Dubious Economics Of Homemade Ice Cream Cakes
Before we get started, though, I need to level with you. Making an ice cream cake from scratch is not an entirely good deal, economically speaking. Dairy Queen charges about $20 to $25 for its regular round cakes. Making this with good-quality ice cream and store-bought ingredients, like fudge sauce and cookies, will probably be quite a bit more.
Of course, money isnt the only reason to do something from scratch you may want to use your own special homemade flavors, or create a cake with dairy-free ice cream. You might want to decorate it specially, or include home-baked cookies inside.
But just fair warning if you want the cheapest option, pick one up at your local shop. For all the other reasons, proceed!
Blueberry Ice Cream Pie
This clever and unique recipe puts a major twist on the classic ice cream cake. Instead of being encased by a layer cake, the ice cream in this dessert sits inside a real pie crust!
The filling itself is everything a berry lover could ask for. A creamy combination of blueberry compote with sweet, homemade vanilla ice cream is enclosed in a flaky, buttery pie crust thats sturdy enough to stand up to the surprise filling.
Get the Recipe: Two Cups Flour
Read Also: Is Rice Cakes Keto-friendly
How To Make A Strawberry Ice Cream Cake
After your strawberry shortcake crunchies are made, its time to layer the cake. But first lets talk about the cake pan. I used an 8 by 3 inch cake pan, because I like a taller cake. You could definitely use a 9 inch pan though, and a springform pan would certainly be convenient. Either way is fine
Once youve got your pan, youll want to line the inside of it with clear wrap. Youll use the clear wrap later to help lift the ice cream cake out of the pan. From there, add your strawberry ice cream and spread it evenly into the pan.
Add about a cup of the strawberry shortcake crunchies to the ice cream and spread evenly, then freeze everything for a couple hours, until fairly firm.
Add the vanilla ice cream layer on top, then freeze the whole cake until firm.
From there, youll make your whipped cream and frost the outside of the cake. The ice cream does melt quickly, so feel free to pop the cake in the freezer as needed. I did a quick outer coat, froze it for about 20 minutes, then did the final layer. I popped it back in the freezer for another 20 minutes before adding the crunchies, but you want to be sure not to wait too long or it might be harder for the crunchies to stick to the whipped cream.
Finally, add some freeze dried strawberry powder to the remaining whipped cream and pipe a border onto the top of the cake.
Pro Tips For Making This Recipe
- Its best to slightly soften the ice cream before adding it to the cake pan so you can create a uniform layer, making it much easier to layer on top of the cake.
- Be sure to press out any air pockets in the ice cream when adding it to the cake pan.
- When lining the cake pan for the ice cream, be sure to leave some extra plastic wrap on the sides to make it easier to lift.
- Try to have your kitchen as cold as possible to make sure the ice cream cake doesnt melt as you work with it. If your kitchen is on the warmer side, youll have to put your cake back into the freezer often in between steps.
- To make cutting the cake easier, you can run your knife under hot water before slicing.
Also Check: Above Ground Pool Step Replacement Handrails
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Once upon a time, my husband decided hed like to host a small 4th of July cookout Youd think I would have learned by now that my husband never does anything small. So I really shouldnt have been surprised when, what started as a guest list of about 25 friends and family, quickly spiraled to upwards of 50 people.
To say I was feeling a tad stressed out is an understatement. Luckily he asked everyone to bring a side or dessert, but wed already made two additional trips to Walmart for more meat, utensils, napkins, trash bags, etc Being a firm believer that you can just never have too many desserts, I also asked him to grab the ingredients for my favorite ice cream cake recipe on his last trip.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER! .WHILE YOURE AT IT, LETS BE FRIENDS! FOLLOW ME ON FOR MORE EASY RECIPE IDEAS.
How Do You Make It Moist From Scratch
Use a nice quality cocoa powder, fresh ingredients and remember to balance the sweetness with a bit of salt. Follow the recipe below for the most moist and fluffy chocolate cake imaginable. Dont over bake your layers! Watch the batter and remove from oven when the centers spring back when pressed lightly and the edge starts pulling away from the pan.
Read Also: Sams Club Birthday Cake Order Form
Tips For Making The Best Ice Cream Cake:
- You can use any flavors of ice cream that you prefer. Instead of chocolate and vanilla try mint and chocolate, or try cookie dough and cookies and cream, you name it, just pick two flavor combinations that mix well together.
- Dip the knife youre using to cut the cake in a glass of hot water, then wipe it clean with a towel in between cutting each slice.
- The cake melts pretty fast, so make sure to slice it up and serve it quickly after bringing it out of the freezer. When youre not slicing and serving, keep the cake in the freezer.
This homemade ice cream cake is as good or better than Dairy Queen, or Baskin Robbins. Its the perfect ice cream dessert, with creamy smooth layers of ice cream and the crunchy fudgy chocolatey Oreo cookie middle. Its heavenly, delicious, and so perfect served up for a birthday, summer party, or any occasion.
Neapolitan Brownie Ice Cream Cake
Enjoy the classic summery flavors of Neapolitan ice cream, now in ice cream cake form! Rich, gooey brownies alternate with strawberry and vanilla ice cream layers for the iconic three-flavor combination.
Its all topped with a pouring of chocolate ganache, swirls of vanilla whipped cream, and fresh sliced strawberries.
Get the Recipe: Tutti Dolci
Recommended Reading: Sam Club Baby Shower Cakes
How Do You Make A Homemade Ice Cream Cake
You do have to think ahead of time because you will need to freeze each individual layer for the best results. Here is what the basic time frame looks like:
Day 2 :
- Spread salted caramel over the top of the frozen ice cream layer. Freeze for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare whipped cream. Spread over the top of the salted caramel layer when ready to serve. Decorate with cookies, salted caramel and hot fudge drizzles if youd like. You can pop that back in the fridge for about 30 minutes if youd like the whipped cream to firm up. It doesnt take long!
This cake may sound like a lot of work, but all in all, its about 20 minutes if youre going the store bought route.
I did make my own hot fudge sauce and salted caramel sauce. You could also make homemade brownies if youre into that sort of thing
Triple Berry Chocolate Vegan Ice Cream Cake
With this recipe, were combining two iconic ice cream cake flavors into one delicious recipe. Start with a moist cake with a deep, rich chocolate flavor, add vegan vanilla ice cream, and layer with fresh berries.
Top it off with a smooth ganache made from vegan chocolate and coconut milk for a glossy, expert-looking finish.
Get the Recipe: Butternut Bakery
Also Check: Sam’s Club Birthday Cakes 2021
Make The Chocolate Cookie Crunch
Lauren Habermehl for Taste of Home
Preheat oven to 350°. While it heats, pulse the Oreo cookies several times in a food processor. Add the melted butter and then pulse for a few more seconds until rough cookie crumbs remain. Dump the cookie crumbs out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet and spread out evenly into a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes then remove and let cool completely.
Lauren Habermehl for Taste of Home
Once cool, in a medium mixing bowl, combine the cooled cookie crumbs with the chocolate Magic Shell. Stir to coat the crumbs evenly and then spread back onto the parchment-lined baking sheet in a thin layer. Freeze for 30 minutes and then crumble into small, coarse pieces. Keep refrigerated until ready to use.
Editors tip: Baking the Oreo crumbs helps make them extra dry and crisp so that they dont become soggy from the moisture of the ice cream. Its an extra step thats well worth the effort.
What You Need To Make This Recipe
Ice cream I recommend using real dairy ice cream. Sometimes youll see ice cream labeled as frozen dessert, which might seem confusing. Ice cream is made from milk fats, while a frozen dessert uses vegetable oil fats instead. I find that frozen dessert does not soften as evenly and doesnt refreeze as nicely.
Chocolate cake you can use my favorite chocolate cake recipe and freeze the two extra layers in the recipe or a box mix. Its up to you!
Hot fudge again, feel free to use my hot fudge recipe or buy it from the store. The hot fudge sauce is not just to decorate the cake with but to help the Oreos stick to the cake layer. Using a substitute like chocolate syrup wont work as it wont firm up the same.
Read Also: Sams Club Wedding Cakes Pictures