How Do You Make Pancake Mix From Scratch
If you want to make old fashioned pancakes from scratch even easier, you can always prep your dry ingredients in advance. This way, when you and your crew want fluffy pancakes from scratch, you can simply mix in the wet ingredients. Make sure you store the dry ingredients of your homemade pancake mix recipe in an airtight container to keep it fresh.
Tips For The Best Homemade Pancakes
Can this pancake recipe be used to make waffles? Yes! The ratios need to be changed up slightly, but this recipe can be used to make homemade waffles. Get my Fluffy Waffle Recipe here.
Can this pancake recipe be made into mini pancakes or silver dollar pancakes? Yes! I have used this recipe to make miniature pancakes before. Mini pancakes are perfect for kids, a pancake breakfast bar, or to serve at brunch. Get tips on how much batter to use and more in this post: Strawberry Banana Pancake Skewers.
Can this pancake recipe be made with buttermilk? Yes! Just sub out the whole milk for buttermilk. You can really use whatever milk you have on hand . I have not tried it with milk alternatives, like cashew or almond, but these should be okay also. In fact, I use buttermilk in these Blueberry Buttermilk Pancakes.
Can this pancake batter be made ahead of time? No. Most baking powder sold today is double acting, which means that the first leavening occurs when the baking powder gets wet. You may notice that after you mix the dry ingredients with the wet, the batter may puff up some in the bowl. The longer is sets without being heated up, the more it will lose that initial rise.
Can these pancakes be frozen? Yes! Freeze them individually before combining in an airtight bag. We reheat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds until warm.
Can this recipe be doubled? Yes. I have doubled this recipe and it works great.
Can I Use Powdered Milk That Has Fat In It
Yes. The recipe calls for non-fat, as the shelf life is longer for non-fat powdered milk. You can use a full-fat powdered milk too, just be sure to mark your pancake mix with the same best by date found on the powdered milk container. Alternately, you can omit the powdered milk and use milk instead of water when you prepare the pancakes. In that case, the shelf life is up to 18 months.
Read Also: Mrs Field Cookie Cake Recipe
Tips For The Best Pancakes
- Use a scale to measure dry ingredients if you have one for most accurate results.
- Dont over-mix the batter. Pancake batter should be slightly lumpy. This will help ensure they end up fluffy.
- If you like thick pancakes you can increase flour by a few tablespoons if you want thin pancakes you can reduce it by a few tablespoons.
- If using butter add in each area immediately before pouring pancake batter onto griddle, otherwise butter will burn.
- Leave room for batter to expand slightly on the griddle so they dont stick to each other.
- Let pancakes get some color on bottom before flipping. Pale pancakes dont taste as good as lightly browned pancakes.
- But do be careful not to cook too long or pancakes will start to dry out.
- To prep in advance dry ingredients can be blended beforehand it will keep well for months in an airtight container.
Tools To Make This Old Fashioned Pancake Recipe
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
- Maple syrup , whipped cream, fresh fruit, chocolate chips and/or your favorite toppings
Read Also: Wilton Cake Pan Batter Amounts
The Easiest Pancake Recipe
I love everything about these pancakes. First, they are extremely quick and easy to prepare, with only a few basic ingredients that everyone has at hand . Also, they turn out perfect every single time, with a lovely small round shape, and an amazing light and fluffy texture. And finally, they make me hungry as soon as I see them! Look no further. This is the one and only recipe you need!
We all need a basic pancake recipe that is your lazy Sunday go-to breakfast when you are just craving fluffy pancakes. Something easy and quick to make. With a long week behind me, I often happen to be tired, and for these lazy mornings, this easy breakfast recipe is just perfect.
How To Make Homemade Pancakes
First Published: · Modified: Nov 24, 2021 by Sandra · This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases with no additional cost to you.
Welcome to our post about how to make homemade pancakes! Our goal for this post is to be helpful to as many people as possible. Therefore, we have packed it with lots of information on the topic of homemade pancakes, from their origin to ingredient information, detailed step-by-step instructions, popular add-ins, recommended syrups and recipes. This post will teach you how to make pancakes from scratch. We will not be using a pancake mix. When you see how easy it is to make pancakes from scratch, you will never rely on a mix again!
Please use the clickable index below to jump to the topics of most interest to you. If you feel that something is missing from this article, please let us know in the comments below, and we will try to get an answer for you.
Read Also: Jamoca Almond Fudge Cake Baskin-robbins
Quick Tips And Tricks For The Best Old Fashioned Pancakes
- Dont overmix your batter! This means you want to mix the batter until it has just combined. Lumps are OK. If you whisk/mix until its completely smooth, the pancakes will become tough and wont become as fluffy.
- When do you know how to flip? When big ol bubbles start to form. Lift up the edge with a spatula to confirm the pancake is golden brown before flipping. Once you flip the pancake, you wont flip it again.
- Once youve flipped your pancakes, dont press down on them! This will deflate them. Obviously, we want them to puff up and be as light and airy as possible.
- Leftover pancakes? Freeze em! Line a baking sheet with wax paper, and pop them in the freezer for 4-6 hours. When the pancakes are fully frozen, transfer them to a freezer baggie. Reheat in the toaster oven, toaster or the oven until warm.
Tips For This Fluffy Pancake Recipe
- Do not over mix: Your pancakes will be dense and hard if you mix too long. You only want to mix the ingredients together and stop.
- Butter the pan when you are cooking the pancakes. This helps them to not stick and adds more flavor.
- Butter: top the pancakes with REAL butter and REAL maple syrup
- Use whole milk! This is important for the overall taste. The added fat in whole milk makes these pancakes perfect.
You May Like: Wedding Cake Ladder
Easy Fluffy American Pancakes
These 5-star review easy fluffy American pancakes are the BEST pancake recipe you can possibly find. With only 6 ingredients and 2 minutes preparation, you get generous and fluffy pancakes with no effort. These pancakes make hands down the best easy breakfast or brunch recipe for the entire family.
How To Make Vegan Pancakes
Making these vegan pancakes could not be easier. Simply whisk the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and then add the wet ingredients. Gently mix everything together until most of the larger lumps are gone. Since there is a hefty amount of baking soda in the recipe, youll notice that the batter begins to bubble straight away. This is a good thing since it means you are on your way to extra fluffy pancakes.
The recipe makes 6 pancakes, so depending on how many you eat at one sitting, this recipe could serve 2 to 3 people. If you have some leftover, you can freeze them! I love this trick for when just one of us wants pancakes in the morning.
How to freeze the pancakes: These are perfect for freezing and reheat nicely. This way, you can have pancakes for one, two or more any day of the week. To freeze them, cook the pancakes, and then lay them out in one layer on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for 20 to 30 minutes . Then divide them between freezer bags with a sheet of parchment or wax paper between them .
To reheat, use the microwave or oven. To microwave, place them onto a plate and microwave for 20 seconds for one pancake or longer for multiple pancakes. To reheat in the oven, package them in foil then place into a 350F oven for about 10 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Wedding Cakes From Sam’s Club
How To Make Pancakes In An Instant Pot
Get the Recipe:Instant Pot Buttermilk Pancake
The Instant Pot is another fun way to make up a large, fluffy pancake. To make up this breakfast, whisk up your favorite batter and then spread melted butter at least two inches up the inside of your instant pot. Pour in the batter, then use either the cake setting or low pressure, whichever your machine has. Cook for about 40 minutes, then hit the quick release button and wait about 10 minutes. Release from the Instant Pot liner using a rubber spatula.
How To Store Freeze And Reheat Pancakes
These pancakes keep in the refrigerator for a two to three days in a sealed container. If you want to freeze them, I recommend freezing your pancakes in two steps: freeze them separately in a single layer onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, then transfer them into a freezer-safe ziploc bag. This is the best way to ensure your pancakes wont stick together. Alternatively, you can stack them and place a sheet of parchment paper between each, then wrap the pancakes stack in foil. To reheat your pancakes, simply toast them straight from frozen or warm in the microwave for about 30 seconds to one minute.
Recommended Reading: Most Popular Bundt Cake Flavors
How Can You Substitute Milk In A Pancake Recipe
You can use other wet ingredients besides regular milk to make pancakes. I think that using buttermilk or even almond milk are both great choices. Coconut milk is a great option, too.
I even think that using a protein drink as part of your ingredients could be a great replacement for some of the dairy.
How To Make Fluffy Homemade Pancakes:
- Start by sifting together the dry ingredients into a large bowl. I like to use my fine mesh strainer to get the dry ingredients sifted.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients in a smaller bowl and pour that into the dry ingredients.
- Whisk until the batter is just combined, there may be some small clumps, but this is ok. You dont want to over mix the batter.
- Heat a griddle up and coat with non stick spray or butter. Cook pancakes until golden brown on each side.
Recommended Reading: Is Rice Cakes Keto
Why I Love This Recipe:
These easy homemade pancakes are wonderfully fluffy and light. Theyre slightly sweet and pair beautifully with maple syrup and fresh fruit, too.
The homemade pancake batter is incredibly simple to put together, too. If you keep baking supplies at home, you might have the ingredients to make these already!
Not only are they delicious, but theyre fun to make as a family. Both our daughters get involved in the measuring, whisking and stirring. And we cant forget the taste testing, either.
Need breakfast inspiration, but dont know where to start? Head on over to my Breakfast and Brunch Recipe Index.
How Do You Make Pancakes From Scratch
First, were going to make our homemade pancake batter.
In a large bowl, measure out the dry ingredientsflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk them together.
In a small bowl, combine the milk, eggs, vanilla extract and oil. Whisk them together or stir them with a fork until everything is combined.
Why? Because if you dont mix the wet ingredients well, there will be ribbons of egg white in your pancakes. Its not awesome, even if it is edible.
Once the wet ingredients are well combined, pour them directly into the flour mixture. Use a rubber spatula to gently stir them together until just combined. If you overmix the batter, the pancakes will become tougher, so just stir until the flour is incorporated. Its OK if this batter has small lumps.
Let homemade pancake batter rest for 5-10 minutes. While it rests, heat your griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. When its hot, grease lightly with melted butter, flavorless oil or nonstick cooking spray.
Use a cookie scoop or a measuring spoon to dollop the batter onto the preheated skillet. I like to use a 2-tablespoon scoop to turn ours into silver dollar-sized, but you can obviously make larger ones, too.
When several bubbles have formed on the surface, flip and cook until golden brown and cooked through.
Repeat until all batter has been used.
Make a stack, and serve with your favorite toppings!
Also Check: Pampered Chef Ice Cream Cake Pan Recipe
What If I Dont Have Buttermilk
Dont worry! You can make your own buttermilk at home. Simply mix milk with an acid like white vinegar or lemon juice and set the mixture aside for 10 to 15 minutes. In this time, the mixture will start to curdle .
For our recipe below, we call for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk. That means that you will need to mix the following:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice
How To Make Perfect Pancakes
Pancakes by nature are simple and forgiving, but here are a few tips to help make them just right:
- Your skillet should be sizzling hot.
- Dont over-mix your batter. A little lumpy is fine!
- Keep butter by your side to fry the perfect cake.
- Flip when the edges look a little dry, and bubbles are coming to the surface.
Also Check: Baskin Robbins Harry Potter Cake
How To Reheat Pancakes
The fastest and easiest way to reheat your pancakes is in the microwave. It takes about 20 to 30 seconds depending on the wattage of your microwave to heat up one serving of pancakes.
You can also use your toaster, but if you have a large batch of them to heat up, use your oven. Simply preheat to 350F, then put your pancakes in a single layer on a foil-lined baking sheet. Cover the pancakes securely with foil and bake it for up to 10 minutes or until theyre all hot and ready.