To Use Butter And Other Oils:
I have tested the chocolate cake recipe with additional oils, as well as butter. Ive tested using an equal amount of melted coconut oil to the vegetable oil called for in the recipe. Ive also tested using the same volume of melted butter in place of the oils in the chocolate cake. While it does make the cake texture slightly different, it is still delicious and worth trying if youd prefer to use butter in place of oils in your chocolate cake.
Whew! See what I mean! This is the chocolate cake of everyones dreams, I think!
Do let me know how you like it.
Here are a few additional ways I like to make this cake!
If you are looking for cupcakes from this recipe, Ive shared my recipe for the best chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. This recipe makes a perfect dozen so that you can scale the recipe to make as many chocolate cupcakes as you need! Talk about easy!
9×13 Chocolate Cake
I love this version! It is a delicious, scaled-down version that is just the thing for potlucks, reunions, tailgates, and travels perfectly! Ive also scaled-down the frosting so that has the frosting to cake ratio that my family prefers. It is a definite winner!
Large Chocolate Sheet Cake
Scaled for a crowd, this recipe bakes beautifully in a rimmed baking sheet and is perfect for all sorts of get-togethers. Think of it as the 9×13s big brother! This recipe features Fudge Icing, but you can definitely substitute the icing for whatever you fancy!
How Do I Store Chocolate Cake
Chocolate cake is great for making ahead of time and storing in the fridge or even in the freezer for when you need it! Follow these tips for leftovers or make it ahead of time for all of your celebrations!
Refrigerator: Unfrosted cake layers can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. Be sure to wrap each layer separately in at least two layers of plastic wrap. Frosted chocolate cake can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
Freezer: Unfrosted chocolate cake layers can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months. Just like in the fridge, layers should be wrapped separately in at least two layers of plastic wrap as well as a layer of aluminum foil on top. Once my layers are completely frozen, I like to transfer them into a large freezer ziplock bag to help keep out freezer burn. The layers can be frosted frozen or you can let them thaw in the fridge before frosting!
How To Make A Simple Chocolate Cake
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards.The wikiHow Video Team also followed the article’s instructions and verified that they work. This article has been viewed 315,639 times.
Everyone likes chocolate cake! If you like simple recipes, or are short of time, why not make a simple chocolate cake? It’s delicious, easy to make, and takes less than an hour from start to finish.
The Best Chocolate Frosting For Chocolate Cake
The frosting on top is also to die for! Its my usual chocolate frosting, but this time I beat it for a few minutes to incorporate more air and have more of a whipped frosting. It lightens in color and gets fluffier. Its just as chocolatey, but the whipped, light texture goes perfectly with the moist cake.
I really am in love with this cake! Its a nice change from the slow-bake version if youre looking for something easy and quick to throw together. The other one will always remain the MOISTEST cake ever , but this cake truly is moist and tender and SO good! And the 9×13 cake size is classic and easy to transport so you can have chocolate cake all day, err-y day. Youre welcome.
- Prep Time:20 minutes
- 45 tbsp water or milk
- Sprinkles, optional
How To Make Eggless Chocolate Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 170 C or 340 F for at least 15 mins. Grease a 8 inch round cake pan. If you do not have an 8 or 9 inch pan, check my pro tips section below to use other pans. I highly suggest using parchment paper to line the cake tray. This way the eggless chocolate cake comes out of the pan easily. If you do not have it, then drizzle some flour all over on the sides and bottom. Invert it & pat it off over the kitchen sink to remove the excess flour.
How To Make Chocolate Cake:
Mix Dry Ingredients. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Addwet ingredients:. Eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Add boiling water. Stir to combine . Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Assemble and Frost: Place one cake layer on serving tray. Spread a generous amount of frosting on top. Add second cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
Checkerboard Cake Recipe By Tasty
Here’s what you need: chocolate cake, yellow cake, chocolate frosting
Provided by Alix Traeger
|1 chocolate cake, prepared, 9 inches|
|1 yellow cake, prepared, 9 inches|
- Slice the top of both cakes to create a flat surface.
- Cut both cakes in half widthwise to create four cakes.
- Place a small plate on top of the cake and cut around to create a smaller circle.
- Place a glass in the middle of the cake and cut around to create an even smaller circle.
- Assemble the first layer by placing the outside chocolate ring on a plate or cake stand. Insert the next yellow cake ring and then the inner chocolate cake ring.
- Frost the cake with a thin layer of frosting in between each layer.
- Continue forming layers alternating the colors on the outside.
- After the fourth layer frost the entire cake and cool in the refrigerator.
- Slice and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories257 calories, Carbohydrate57 grams, Fat2 grams, Fiber1 gram, Protein2 grams, Sugar29 grams
Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Recipe
Heres what youll need to make it:
- Mayonnaise: You need full fat mayonnaise. This is non-negotiable for proper results. Low fat or light mayo will not give you the moisture you need. We prefer Hellmans or Dukes.
- Whole milk: Whole, full fat milk will provide the most moisture and best results.
- Flour: Just regular all-purpose flour. Make sure its spooned and leveled, not scooped. Too much flour will make the cake dry.
- Granulated sugar: For sweetness.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: This is what makes the cake chocolatey. We love Ghirardelli or Hersheys.
- Baking soda: This is the leavening agent that will help the cake rise.
- Salt: Just a pinch
- Vanilla: For flavor.
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake Frosting: Our homemade chocolate buttercream frosting recipe is smooth, creamy, decadent, and perfect for this cake.
Mixing Dry & Wet Ingredients
6. Pour 1 cup water .
7. Pour 1/3 cup oil . I have used organic virgin coconut oil. Do use some light oil otherwise the cake may smell oily.
8. Next add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Yes this cake needs more vanilla than the other recipes. However if you prefer less you may use only half of it.
9. Add 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar. Make sure you use good quality vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar.
10. Mix all these well gently with a whisk or a spatula just until well combined.
11. You will notice that the cake batter begins to bubble up. The acidic ingredient vinegar or lemon juice begins to react with the baking soda. Do not over mix at this stage, it may make the cake dense.
Easy Moist Chocolate Cake
With so many different chocolate cake recipes out there, varying in taste, texture, thin, tall, frosted or plain, it can be hard to choose one. But even though there are a ton of ways to make a chocolate cake, most would agree that the best ones are moist with a tender crumb so moist that it sticks to your fork when you take a bite. The kind that requires it be served with a tall glass of cold milk. Nobody wants dry cake! This Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake fits the bill on all levels. Its consistently moist and rich, with a wonderful deep cocoa flavor.
Chocolate And Vanilla Checkered Flag Cake
Provided by Nancy Fuller
Yield 10 to 12 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
|All-natural nonstick cooking spray, for spraying the cake pans|
|3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the cake pans|
|2 cups granulated sugar|
|2 sticks unsalted butter, softened|
|5 large eggs|
|2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar|
|2 sticks unsalted butter, softened|
|2 tablespoons heavy cream|
|1 vanilla bean, split and scraped|
How To Make A Checkered Cake Recipes
“Check” out this new patterned cake. It’s the pan that makes the magic!
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
|1 box Betty Crocker Super Moist yellow cake mix|
|1 cup milk|
|1 package cream cheese, softened|
|1 teaspoon vanilla|
|1/2 box Jell-O strawberry- or orange-flavored gelatin|
|1 container Betty Crocker Whipped fluffy white frosting|
|Yellow food color|
|Betty Crocker Easy Flow white decorating icing , if desired|
|Candy flowers, if desired|
- Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour bottoms and sides of three 9-inch round pans of checkerboard cake set. Place divider ring in one of the pans, following manufacturer’s directions.
- In medium bowl, beat cake mix, milk, cream cheese, vanilla and eggs with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 2 minutes longer. Divide batter in half stir gelatin into half of the batter.
- Spoon batter into each pan and using divider ring, following manufacturer’s directions.
- Bake 23 to 29 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen side of each cake from pan with metal spatula turn upside down onto cooling rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Tint frosting with yellow food color until deep yellow color. Using a thin layer of frosting between layers, stack cake layers so outside colors of cake alternate. Place cake on serving plate frost side and top of cake with frosting. Decorate with decorating icing garnish with candy flowers. Store loosely covered.
Can I Substitute Milk For Buttermilk
Buttermilk reacts with rising agents, like baking soda and baking powder, to form carbon dioxide and act as a leavening agent. If you have a recipe that calls for both buttermilk and a rising agent, you shouldnt substitute regular milk. You can either purchase buttermilk, or make your own buttermilk substitute at home.
How To Decorate Chocolate Cake
Homemade frosting is easy and honestly the best .
If youre in a hurry, one can of frosting will cover a sheet cake or be enough for cupcakes, but two cans are needed for three layers .
We love changing the flavor of this recipe just by changing the delicious frosting we top it with!
- For a cool flavor option, try Peppermint Buttercream Frosting.
- Or any regular buttercream frosting recipe will do. To make it suit any occasion, try tinting with food coloring, like pink or yellow!
Sprinkle on multi-colored sprinkles or chocolate jimmies. This is the best chocolate cake recipe for birthdays, so get some fun candles and celebrate someone special! They will love this yummy birthday treat!
Chocolate Cake Recipe Variations
This chocolate cake recipe has been the most popular post on Foodess.com for years it has been pinned hundreds of thousands of times, and for good reason! Everyone who makes it falls in love, and everyone who tastes it asks for the recipe. You wont be disappointed. Its still my go-to, no-fail, delicious chocolate cake recipe for every birthday, celebration, or Valentines Day.
Ive made many variations on it since it was originally posted, and due to popular request have shared the Fluffy Chocolate Frosting recipe to go with it. Ive also made it as Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting and as Caramallow Cupcakes chocolate cupcakes filled with creamy caramel and topped with deliciously sticky marshmallow frosting. That frosting, also known as seven-minute frosting, was the way we enjoyed chocolate cake most often when I was a kid and is still probably my top choice. Another favourite way to enjoy this beloved cake is very simply with sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries.
This chocolate cake recipe freezes beautifully and Ill typically make it a few days in advance when preparing for a party. Just wrap the cooled cakes well in plastic wrap before popping them into freezer bags. Freeze them until ready to use, and you can frost them while still cold . I do make sure that its at room temperature by the time its served for best texture . If you love this one, Ive got lots more cake recipes be sure to check them out!
An Easy Classic Chocolate Sheet Cake
Well since the other version is a slow bake cake that bakes at 300 degrees and that can sometimes throw people off, not to mention it takes longer to bake, I decided to make a version that bakes at the usual 350. I wanted to be sure it was just as tasty though! Surprisingly, that wasnt as easy of a task as Id expected.
There was a fair amount of experimenting, but the big thing was decreasing some of the liquid so allow for a quicker baking cake. I played around with decreasing the milk, oil and water. They all have similar effects on the cake, but produce slightly different results. I primarily went back and forth on the oil and milk. I ended up with a little more milk than oil. Oil adds great moisture to the cake, but too much makes it a bit of a firmer cake. Reducing it a touch and leaving more milk makes it a little lighter and softer. The final result is perfect and so delicious!
Use This Batter For 6 Chocolate Cupcakes
So what if you want a smaller batch of chocolate cupcakes? Yes, you can absolutely use this recipe. This chocolate cake batter yields about 1 and 1/2 cups of batter total, which makes 6 standard size cupcakes. How does it weigh up against my standard chocolate cupcakes recipe? Well, this batter is a little thicker so the cupcakes arent quite as light, delicate, and spongy. Theyre soft and moist, but have a slightly heavier crumb.
- For a cupcake topping, use any of the topping options listed above.
- For the pictured frosted cupcakes, I used the chocolate ganache recipe below. After the ganache cools completely, you can beat it with an electric mixer for about 3-4 minutes to make whipped ganache. Tastes like chocolate mousse! You can read more about it in the recipe below or in my chocolate ganache post.