Lining A Rectangular Or Square Cake Pan With Parchment Paper
It is a common practice to cut two rectangular pieces of parchment paper, each the width of the pan, and lay them perpendicular to cover the bottom of cake pans.
While it seems simple enough, the problem with this method is that it doesnt cover the sides of the pan.
The good news is that theres a better way to line your square and rectangular cake pans.
This method is incredibly simple, covers the sides, and does not take more than a few minutes.
Plus, it can be used to line a cake pan of any size. Heres how you can line a rectangular or square-shaped cake pan like a pro.
Removable Bottom Tube Pan Pound Cake
Last updated on By Anna This post may contain affiliate links.
Before the holidays I learned that my removable bottom tube pan leaks batter. It works perfectly for angel food cake batter, but when I tried to bake a pound cake the batter seeped out. Thank goodness Id put a sheet pan on the lower rack. There was some burnt batter, but the cake was okay.
Create A New Wish List
Auto reorder # will now ship via common carrier. Please choose your delivery preferences:
- Non-stick coating for easy release of delicate cakes
- Removable bottom makes cleanup easy
- Great for creating light, fluffy angel food cakes
- Ideal addition to any commercial bakery, restaurant, or catering operation
Customer questions about this product
- How can I best maintain the non-stick qualities of this item?
- To prevent food from sticking to your non-stick surface, we recommend lightly coating it with oil, wiping off any excess with a soft cloth or napkin. Using sprays on non-stick coatings can actually cause food to stick more readily than using a fat or oil. Sprays can leave a glue-like coating, often missed during the cleaning process, which will begin to build up and cause foods to stick. Additionally, metal utensils and abrasive cleaners should not be used with non-stick surfaces to prevent scratching and damaging the coated surface.
- What is the difference between a bundt pan and a tube pan?
- Bundt pans are best used with high fat, heavy batters. They result in a visually appealing product with fluted sides and offer a classic look. Tube pans have smooth sides and typically a removable, flat bottom. Tube pans are traditionally used for angel food cakes.
You May Like: Handrails For Wedding Cake Pool Steps
*** Thanksgiving Recipes ***
These roasted brussels sprouts get a fair amount of spice from the crushed red pepper flakes, which cuts…
We love how the cinnamon-scented streusel topping lets the juicy berries peek through.
Poach quince in rosé with a dash of cocktail bitters and a few warm spices, then assemble into a tart…
Alton Brown’s turkey brine recipe from Good Eats will give you a flavorful Thanksgiving turkey with juicy…
Bone-in turkey breasts are easy to find, and as impressive as a whole bird when you roast them in butter…
Leave the sausage, nuts, dried fruit behind in favor of this easy, vegetarian-friendly stuffing recipe…
After trying every turkey-roasting method under the sun, I’ve finally settled on this as absolutely the…
Italian sausage and a heap of Parmesan cheese lend signature flair to the easy Thanksgiving dressing…
It’s all about the layers and ruffles in this dramatic seasonal pie.
This recipe was handed down by my great-grandmother. It is a family favorite that we make every Thanksgiving….
Cutting leeks into large pieces gives them a presence equal…
This crunchy crumble is the perfect topping for an ice cream sundae, easy apple crumble, or our Build-Your-Own…
I adapted this from a 50-year-old peach crisp recipe. Although it works well with peaches, it works even better with fresh, crisp cooking apples.
A simple dessert that’s great served with ice cream.
It takes a little work, but it is worth it.
Preventing Leaks With Removable Bottom Pan
This week I decided to make another removable bottom tube pan pound cake and researched some popular methods to prevent leaks. The most common is to wrap the bottom of the pan with aluminum foil as you would for a springform pan going into a water bath. There were also a ton of clever ideas on Food 52, including using a circle of cut grocery bag between the two parts. Im going to test that one next, but this time I did something different. I greased the pan, put soft bread crumbs all around the area where the two parts come together, then dusted the pan with flour. To be safe, I also baked it on a rimmed baking sheet. The bread crumbs worked, but next time Il try the grocery bag trick mentioned on Food 52 by Donna W.
Anyhow, the cake was delicious. Heres the recipe. Its similar to another favorite, Mary Jo Bowens Best Pound Cake Ever, but calls for all-purpose flour . Ive also included links to a few more pound cakes you can make in a removable bottom pan.
- 3cupssifted unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 6large eggsseparated into yolks and whites
- 1cupsour cream
- 1teaspoonpure vanilla extract
- 1teaspoonpure almond extract
Read Also: Pool Mat For Wedding Cake Steps
Million Dollar Pound Cake
This rich and buttery Million Dollar Pound Cake recipe has been rotating through Southern kitchens for decades. It’s made with 7 simple pantry ingredients and it’s amazing served on it’s own, with berries and fresh whipped cream, lemon curd, ice cream or countless other options. It’s a pound cake aficionado’s dream. Follow the preparation technique carefully and this classic delight will be the star ending to any meal.
Lining A Round Cake Pan With Parchment Paper
Round cakes can be a lot of fun to bake as long as you know how to line a round cake pan with parchment paper properly.
Heres one simple method to line round cake pans. However, keep in mind that this method only covers the bottom of the pan.
Therefore, it is best to grease the sides when using this method, especially if your dough or batter is likely to stick or if the recipe calls for lining the cake pan.
This method works adequately. However, you must be careful while cutting the circle.
If you cut along or out of the traced line, the parchment paper will be too big for the pan.
On the other hand, if you cut a little too inside the circle, the parchment paper circle will be too small to cover the entire base of the pan.
Either way your round cake will stick to the bottom. Therefore, if you think you might mess up the measurement, heres another way of lining a round cake with parchment paper.
Recommended Reading: Gluten Free At Nothing Bundt Cakes
How Do I Choose The Best Pound Cake Pan
A pound cake pan traditionally is either a rectangular loaf pan or a tube or Bundt® pan. Some common features to look for when choosing the best pound cake pan are the weight of the pan, which should not be overly light in most cases, and handles on the side so it can easily be taken in and out of the oven. The material from which the pan is made also can make a difference, with some pans having a non-stick coating and others being made from unique materials such as flexible silicon. Pound cake is a versatile type of cake and choosing the best baking pan for one really involves knowing how the final cake will be served, because some pans such as Bundt® pans usually are difficult to use for making layered cakes, while a thin sheet pan might be perfect for the same situation.
Choosing the best pound cake pan starts with knowing how the final cake will be assembled. Most often, a loaf pan is used to present the cake without any toppings. A Bundt® or tube pan makes a pound cake with a shape that is suited to glazing or covering in other toppings. Some pans have multiple wells so several single-serving pound cake loaves can be made at the same time. For a layered cake, a sheet pan can be used to make layers separately, or a tube pan can provide a single cake that can be easily cut into layers.
Q: How Do I Remove The Bottom To Put My Cheesecake On The Serving Plate
Start by placing a dinner plate on top of your cheesecake .Next, hold this plate against your cheesecake then flip them upside-down. You can now set them onto a counter.Then, carefully lift the cake pan bottom off the cheesecake and place the serving plate under the cheesecake.Lastly, grip the two plates tightly then flip them over.Your cheesecake will be on your serving plate as soon as you lift the dinner plate off.
Recommended Reading: Wilton Cake Batter Chart
Cake Pan With Removable Bottom
There’s a recipe I’d like to try for a citrus chiffon cake, which calls for an “angel food cake pan with a removable bottom.” I don’t have one of those. The instructions after baking are strange: it says, “invert the cake on the neck of a wine bottle let cool. Run a knife around the inside of pan and remove outer ring. Run knife around tube and along bottom and remove the tube.”I just have a “normal” funnel-type pan do you think that’d work? Thanks!
Removable Bottom: Good For Angel Food Cake Bad For Pound Cake
Angel food cake is baked in an ungreased pan so that it can cling to the pan as it rises and wont slump during baking the ungreased interior also helps prevent the cake from slipping out of the pan when its cooling upside down. However, the lack of greasing makes it a challenge to cleanly remove the cake from the pan. For this reason, we liked tube pans with nonstick coatings, which made the process easier. Only one model in our lineup was uncoated, and while it was a bit more scratch-resistant than the others, we had trouble removing cakes.
A removable bottom was also essential. It allowed us to pull the entire cake out of the pan and then lift it off the base with no fuss. For fixed-bottom pans, we had to use a knife and significant shaking to coax out the cakes. While none of the cakes was ruined by our extra efforts, the exteriors of angel food cakes made in fixed-bottom pans looked splotchy and ragged compared with the crisp, picture-perfect cakes made in pans with removable bottoms.
You May Like: Pool Stairs For Sale
Pound Cake Can Be Made In Advance To Save Time
This pound cake is fantastic for make-ahead baking as it freezes like a dream.
- When freezing, make certain it’s cooled completely before tightly wrapping in plastic freezer wrap.
- It can be frozen as a whole cake or sliced making it convenient to grab a piece from the freezer for a quick treat or unexpected guests.
- I serve this pound cake, first made famous by Southern Living who dubbed it “Million Dollar Pound Cake” in trifles, parfaits, or as is with a cup of hot tea or coffee for entertaining and snacking. It’s a Southern classic that will never grow old. Now if you’ll excuse me, I think it’s time for a piece.
Our Favorite Tube Pan: Chicago Metallic 2
Ultimately, we ranked pans with removable bottoms higher because angel food cake is the quintessential purpose for these pans and its success relies on their unique design. Pound cake, on the other hand, can be made successfully in a loaf, Bundt, or cake pan. If you choose to make a pound cake in a tube pan with a removable bottom, we recommend either wrapping the exterior of the pan with aluminum foil or placing the pan on a baking sheet to prevent messes.
Our winner was once again the Chicago Metallic 2-Piece Angel Food Cake Pan with Feet . Its removable bottom made releasing cakes fast and easy, and the snug fit of its base against the pans walls prevented leaking, even with denser pound cake batter. Cakes made in this pan were nicely browned and perfectly tall, and the pans feet made for sturdy cooling.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free At Nothing Bundt Cakes
S To The Perfect Pound Cake
Our Test Kitchen breaks down some critical steps that can make the difference between a baking disaster and pound cake perfection.
1. Prepare the recipe as directed, and use name-brand ingredients. Store brands of sugar are often more finely ground than name brands, yielding more sugar per cup, which can cause the cake to fall. Store brands of butter may contain more liquid fat and flours more hard wheat, making the cake heavy.
2. Measure accurately. Be sure to use dry measuring cups for flour and sugar. Spoon flour into the cups and lightly level with the straight edge of a small offset spatula or knife. Extra sugar or leavening causes a cake to fall extra flour makes it dry.
3. For maximum volume, have ingredients at room temperature. We like to premeasure our ingredients and assemble them in the order listed. That way, if interrupted, we’re less likely to make a mistake.
4. Beat softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. This can take from 1 to 7 minutes, depending on the power of your mixer. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until light and fluffy. These steps are important because they whip air into the cake batter so it will rise during baking.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until the yolk disappears. Overbeating the eggs may cause the batter to overflow the sides of the pan when baked or create a fragile crust that crumbles and separates from the cake as it cools.