Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
May 17, 2017
This Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe is fast fast fast to make. And it disappears just as quickly too. Layer ice cream and drizzled fudge sauce between ice cream sandwich layers and youre good to go! Say goodbye to expensive store bought ice cream cakes this summer.
When the heat wave of summertime finally hits hard, youll be glad to have this simple and refreshing Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe in your back pocket! Weve had a cold, wet and rainy spring so far, but the temps this week are forecasted in the nineties. Time to break out the ice cream cake!!! You wont even need to turn on your oven.
My kids have always loved ice cream cakes as far back as I can remember. Me too! I remember having an ice cream cake for my birthday a few times through the years. But have you checked the price of an ice cream cake from Friendlys, Carvel or the grocery store freezer lately?
They arent cheap. In fact, youll pay top dollar for an ice cream cake. If you think about it, the ingredients are basically cake and ice cream and shouldnt be any more expensive than a traditional cake with a scoop of ice cream on the side.
A few summers ago I put together an ice cream cake by layering ice cream sandwiches and then frosting with Cool Whip.
The cool thing is , the ice cream sandwiches make easy ice cream cake layers all on their own.
Tips For The Best Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to assemble the cake. Do not thaw the whipped topping on the counter at room temperature, or the texture will be runny.
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften slightly so that you can gently press them down as you’re creating the layers. This will help them fit in the pan!
- Prepare the cake at least 1-2 hours in advance of when you plan to serve it. The cake needs adequate time to firm up in the freezer again before you slice into it.
Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Ingredients
Ice Cream Sandwiches- This recipe uses a total of 6 vanilla sandwiches to build the two layers of this ice cream cake. I use Blue Bunny brand, but you can use any brand you can find in your local grocery store. The only requirement really is that they are rectangular, or your cake will have lots of gaps.
You may even experiment with different flavors you find! You can try Neapolitan, cookies and cream, or even mint!
Cool Whip- Technically you can make your own whipped cream if you prefer, but I say keep it simple! An 8 oz. tub of Cool Whip works perfectly for this Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe. It even comes in Extra Creamy, Sugar Free, or Lite varieties if you have a preference!
Oreos- You only need 4 or 5 crushed Oreos for the Oreo layer, but you are of course welcome to add more! There are also lots of fun flavors to experiment with here if are feeling creative. Mint Oreos work great with Mint flavored ice cream sandwiches! Or you can do what I do and use Double Stuffed!
Also Check: Nothing Bundt Cakes Copycat
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
People love to have ice cream cakes but they can be expensive or time consuming to make. You can make this ice cream sandwich cake inexpensively and it comes together quickly. It has an amazing taste and it is so simple to make. The kids can help with this one! Skip the expensive ice cream cakes and make this ice cream cake at home. Since it doesnt take long to make, you can make it the same day you want to serve it.
Switch It Up With These Variations
- You can use any ice cream sandwich flavor you like. Ive tried ones with chocolate ice cream, vanilla ice cream, and Neapolitan ice cream all three are fantastic.
- If you like Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches or other round ones, youll need a few more sandwiches.
- Feel free to use your favorite Cool Whip all of them will work!
- For the cookies, use your favorite Oreos or use any cookie that you can crush.
- For the sauces, feel free to use caramel saucein place of the chocolate or do a combo of both.
- You can also add your favorite chopped candy and/or chopped nuts chopped peanut butter cups, candy bars, walnuts, peanuts, and almonds would all work great. Moral of the story?
Get creative and put your own spin on this easy ice cream cake. You probably can switch it up every time you make it and never have it the same way twice. Sounds good to me! Enjoy!
Read Also: Above Ground Pool Wedding Cake Steps
How To Make Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
First remove the wrappers from all the ice cream sandwiches. You need to move fast because ice cream melts.
Then lay 3 ice cream sandwiches side by side on a cake platter.
Next drizzle with the caramel and the chocolate.
Then lay another 3 ice cream sandwiches on top going the the other direction. Drizzle with more caramel and chocolate.
Continue this process 2 more times so it is four ice cream sandwiches high.
At this time, if the ice cream sandwiches start to melt, then place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
Now its time for the icing on the cake. I think this might be my favorite part! Ice the cake with the cool whip.
Then drizzle the caramel and the chocolate on top allowing it to drip down the sides.
Freeze the cake for at least 2 hours and then I allow the cake to set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to soften some so its easier to cut and then its ready to serve!
Ingredients Needed For Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Cake
Layering ice cream sandwiches, hot fudge, Cool Whip, and peanut butter cups makes this an easy ice cream cake recipe for summer parties! It is so easy to customize the ice cream cake flavors by using your favorite candy.
- Ice Cream Sandwiches Most boxes come in 6 or 12 count boxes. If you want the ice cream sandwiches to completely fit the 8×8 pan, you will need 14 ice cream sandwiches.
- Hot Fudge You will need one 12 ounce jar of hot fudge.
- Cool Whip Make sure to thaw the whipped topping in the fridge ahead of time. You can also use 3 cups of this homemade whipped cream instead.
- Peanut Butter Cups Feel free to use regular Reeses peanut butter cups or the unwrapped minis. Either one works as long as you have 2 cups of chopped candy.
- Mini Reeses Pieces The smaller ones work best for the decorations on top because of their small size. But the regular ones work just as well if you cant find the small ones.
- Chocolate Syrup Drizzled on top for garnish.
Recommended Reading: Wilton Cake Baking Times
What Does Ice Cream Cake Taste Like
Ok before with jump to recipe for this cake. Lets talk about what ice cream cake even tastes like and is it worth it to make this delicious cake recipe!
Do you remember as a kid enjoying birthday cake with the biggest scoop of ice cream on top? I have many fond childhood memories of enjoying this dessert at my and my friends birthday celebrations.
To me, thats what ice cream cake tastes like. Its the delicious and perfect combination of ice cream and cake in a perfect dessert.
I love ice cream cake. I think I might actually now prefer it over a traditional cake. If you love cake and love ice cream, I know youll love this easy dessert recipe too!
Print Your Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Below:
Popsicles are also great to beat the heat! You will love Cookies and Cream Popsicles! These cream popsicles are packed with whipped cream, Oreo cookies and taste absolutely amazing!
You might also like to try this easy and delicious Snow Ice Cream Recipe.
We are crazy about oreo cookies and this Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe is out of this world!
Oreo Dirt CakeRecipe is one of the best no bake treats that takes just minutes to prepare.
Learn how to make this easy no church Cotton Candy Ice Cream recipe.
Don’t Miss: Wedding Cake Stairs
Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Variations
- Neapolitan: Use Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches and chocolate, strawberry, or vanilla ice cream.
- Mintchocolate: Choose mint chocolate ice cream sandwiches and mint chocolate ice cream.
- Candybar: Go with vanilla ice cream sandwiches with your choice of ice cream and your choice of crushed candy: toffee/Skor, M& Ms, Reeses, Snickers, Kit Kat, Rolos, whopper, etc.
- Ice Cream Sandwich Cake with Magic Shell: Use vanilla ice cream sandwiches with vanilla ice cream. Leave off the whipped cream and add Magic Shell® on top right before serving. Add a spoonful of whipped cream on the side as desired.
- Hot fudge or caramel sauce: For an even sweeter treat, add a drizzle of hot fudge or caramel sauce to your bars homemade or store-bought.
- Taste of home shares a variation without any additional ice cream .
What Other Toppings Can I Use For My Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
There is no limit to the possibilities with this ice cream cake! Some of our other combinations include:
- Chocolate ice cream sandwich cakes
- Heath Bar toppings
- Oreo Cookie in place of the M& Ms in the cool whip mixture and/or sprinkled on top of the cake
- Chocolate Chips
- Adding a layer of hot fudge sauce on top of the cool whip mixture
You May Like: Wilton Half Sheet Pan
Easiest Ever Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
Published: · Modified: Jun 16, 2021 by Carissa · This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission if you buy an item in my links, at no charge to you.
This ice cream sandwich cake is about the easiest summer dessert ever. All it takes is as little as two ingredients, and a few minutes to put it together!
I almost didn’t post this recipe. I figured that because it uses only processed ingredients, it wasn’t “on brand”. But then I said “Who cares! My family loves this recipe, and I’m gonna share it no matter what some people my think!”
Truthfully, this recipe is a little different than most of the recipes I share. Namely that it’s not made from real ingredients – not made from scratch. But in this case, it means that this recipe is super quick and easy to whip up, and it feeds a crowd. And who cares if it’s not exactly health food – who doesn’t love ice cream sandwiches??
Alternatives And Other Options
There are so many great options for this cake! You can literally add any candy or sweet treat to this cake and customize it to make it your personal favorite!
- candy bars use chopped up candy bars like Butterfinger, Snickers, Heath Bar, or Reeses on top of the cake.
- Oreo cookies use crushed Oreo and sprinkle them on top of this cake
- chocolate chips use mini or regular-sized chocolate chips. You could also mix milk or dark chocolate chips with white chocolate chips.
- mini M& Ms sprinkle mini M& Ms on top of the cake for added color
- different flavors you can use different flavors of ice cream sandwiches. We used vanilla ice cream sandwiches, but you could try chocolate ice cream sandwiches or even neapolitan ice cream sandwiches.
- mini marshmallows these would be great fun to put on top of the cake
- fresh fruit top with slices of fresh strawberries and blueberries
- nuts add chopped pecans or walnuts
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Dairy Free
Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe With Ice Cream Sandwiches
We are raiding the frozen dessert aisle for this easy cake a cake that doesnt need baking or even a mixer. Lets just say this is more of an assembly operation.
You know those classic chocolate ice cream sandwiches with vanilla ice cream? Well, they make the best ice cream cake! This recipe is similar to an icebox cake and uses those classic frozen treats to make a deliciously cold and creamy cake that you can slice and serve. It looks like a layer cake.
The best news? You only need five ingredients to make this cake, and its ready to go in the freezer in about 10 minutes. Ice cream cake with ice cream sandwiches is my ideal summer dessert!
Variation Ideas For This Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
Since this recipe is simple to make, there are many variations that you can make to this recipe to make it your own.
Generally, I use plain ice cream sandwiches for this cake recipe. However, you can use different flavors of ice cream sandwiches. Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches are delicious in this recipe. Also, the other day, I say half vanilla and half chocolate ice cream sandwiches that would work perfectly for this cake recipe.
I prefer cool whip or whipped cream for the top of the ice cream cake, but you can definitely change the toppings to make this cake work for any holiday or birthday party.
You can chop up your favorite type of cookie or candy bar for the topping or of course sprinkles or even chocolate chips would help turn this cake into a beautiful birthday cake for anyone in your life!
Also, you can ca add colored icing in between the layers to match a holiday.
The possibilities are endless with this easy cake recipe.
This cake just looks so beautiful served up and no one has to know that you cheated by using ice cream sandwiches. It will be our little secret.
Check out this video on how easy it is to make this ice cream cake:
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Peanut Allergy
How To Store An Ice Cream Cake
You will want to keep it in the freezer. For store bought ice cream cakes, you will want to take it out of the freezer about 20 minutes before you are going to serve it. For this ice cream sandwich cake, you do not need to bring it out early. It will thaw easy enough to cut and eat right from the freezer.
How To Make A Reeses Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake recipe comes together in less than 10 minutes. The hardest part about this Reeses ice cream cake is that you have to wait for it to all freeze together before you can dig in.
Recommended Reading: Pool Step Replacement Handrails