Tips To Making The Best Vanilla Cake:
- Bring eggs and butter to room temperature. When all of the cake ingredients are roughly the same temperature everything mixes up so much better! Doing so will help get the moist crumbs everyone loves! Plus, youre less likely to overmix.
- Theres a lot of science when it comes to baking. Follow the recipe closely!
- Want a pure white cake that makes the best wedding cake? Use egg whites! Youll need to use 8 egg whites in this recipe, since 2 egg whites equals one egg. Vanilla extract also has a little bit of coloring, so you can switch it out for the clear baking version if youre wanting a perfectly white cake. Since it only adds a little bit of color, most of the time you wont notice it.
- Let the cake layers completely cool before you begin assembling and icing the layer cake. Even a slightly warm cake will begin to melt the icing which will cause it to shift or collapse. To speed up the cooling time, pop the layers in the refrigerator or freezer!
- Use ¾ teaspoons of baking soda to help give the cake layers a little more height. The baking powder reacts with the salt and the baking powder to help create a higher rise on your cake layers. Its an optional addition since there isnt much of a difference and the recipe already calls for baking powder and salt.
Why Are My Cupcakes Dense
The dry cupcake experienced denseness because of almost the same reason. With too much flour, dry ingredients, or any combination of them, the batter will turn dry. You might have a dry and dense cupcake if you dont whip enough butter. If you are using liquid or sugar, it is too little or no added value.
How To Serve Homemade Vanilla Cake
- For layers, it’s best to level the cakes before frosting so you’re working with flat tops. Then, apply a “crumb” layer to seal the cake crumbs, let that chill and set, and finish it off with the remaining frosting. You can also add a few fresh strawberries, some fun candies, or practice your piping skills to give the cake a special look.
- Buttercream frosting is a natural choice for vanilla cake. It’s the most common type of frosting, and there are many delicious recipes to explore. Buttercream frosting works wonderfully for layered cakes and can be colored or flavored to fit any occasion.
- Try a chocolate sour cream frosting or a cocoa frosting for a vanilla and chocolate combo.
You May Like: Buy Opera Cake
This Cake In A Cup Recipe Is So Easy
Sometimes I really want a yummy dessert but dont want to make a full size cake because I know I will eat the leftovers. This single serve dessert is the perfect solution when you just need something sweet. It is so delicious and will satisfy your sweet tooth.
We love this easy chocolate mug cake recipe and make it all the time. The kids love that I gladly make it because it is just so simple.
How To Make A Simple Sponge Cake:
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe card with many important details:
Yield: One 8 round cake, 2 inches tall
- Whip 4 eggs in a stand mixer until foamy, then gradually add 1cup sugar and continue whipping until the eggs fall off the whisk in a thick ribbon .
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350F. Line an 8-inch round cake pan lined with foil and sprayed with non-stick spray. Or brush the inside of the pan with softened butter and dust with flour. Shake out excess. Fasten wet cake strips around the cake pan.
- Sift the dry ingredients .
- Combine all wet ingredients .
- Fold the dry ingredients in halves, carefully forming a number 8 with your movements.
- Fold in the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- For best results, leave the cake on the counter for 6-8 hours before using it in a cake. This will reduce the amount of crumbling when you go ahead to split the cake layer in two horizontally.
You May Like: Most Popular Bundt Cake Flavors
How To Make Classic White Cake From Scratch
1) Grease two pans and line with parchment. Whisk dry ingredients together in medium bowl, set aside.
2) Cream butter and sugar. Mix in eggs. Alternate adding dry ingredients and milk plus vanilla.
3) Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake as directed. Let cool.
4) Make your buttercream . Fill and frost cake.
Flour And Eggs For Structure Fat And Sugar For Tenderness
In cakes, the protein ingredients, which are the flour and eggs, are the major structure-builders. Theyre essentially what holds the cake together. Fat and sugar do the opposite they actually wreck or soften the cakes structure, providing tenderness and moisture.
If you have too much of the structure-building flour and eggs, the cake will be tough and dry. If you have too much of the moistening, softening fats and sugars, the cake might not set. It could be a soupy mess or so tender that it falls apart.
Bakers have formulas that balance these ingredients so their cakes have the strength to hold together but are still tender and moist. These formulas dont have to be followed dead on, but if you stray by more than about 20 percent, you may have problems.
There are two sets of formulas: pound-cake formulas, which have less sugar than flour and high-ratio formulas, which contain more sugar. The general rule is that high-ratio cakes require shortening, whose added emulsifiers help hold the cake together. You can, however, make successful high-ratio cakes with butter if you aerate the butter by creaming it and if you add emulsifiers in the form of egg yolks. Some bakers even make cakes with olive oil, which contains natural emulsifiers .
Here are the three formulas for the more popular, sweeter, high-ratio cakes:
Don’t Miss: Dairy Queen Make Your Own Cake
Should You Put Sour Cream In White Cake
A long long time ago I remember reading in the cake forums about this magical white cake recipe called WASC cake that all the cake decorators used. I had no idea what it was but desperately wanted to know! Soon, I learned that WASC stood for White Almond Sour Cream cake and the first ingredient is a white box cake mix.
Now, I dont actually have anything against anyone who uses boxed mixes or doctors boxed mixes. For my personal journey as a cake decorator, I was looking to make my own recipes that would make me stand out. Anyone can whip up a box mix but then it just tastes like everyone elses cake. You see what Im saying?
So why would you use this type of white cake recipe? Well not everyone is a scratch baker or wants to be. Or maybe they just want a quick and easy cake recipe that will for sure turn out. This recipe is definitely a no-fail and is what you might call a doctored box mix. The addition of the sour cream and eggs makes it more flavorful and moist. It also detracts from that chemical taste that most box mixes have.
Would I suggest you make this instead of scratch mix? Well really thats up to you. I promise I wont hold it against you one way or the other. Just always be up-front with your customers . If you say you bake from scratch then bake from scratch. If you use a box, its perfectly ok to say you use freshly baked cakes.
The Easiest Cake Mix To Make At Home
This Homemade Vanilla Cake Mix is so easy to make and will store in your pantry for those days you want to put together a quick, delicious vanilla cake!
Move over Betty Crocker Cake Mix All Things Mamma is comin for ya! Im about to show you how to make this easy homemade cake mix recipe that results in the best made-from-scratch cake!
While this Homemade Cake Mix is perfect for a 13×9 cake, it can also be used anytime you have a recipe that calls for a recipe with cake mix cake mix cookies, cake mix peach cobbler dump cake, or even cake mix brownies.
Seriously, its one of my favorite homemade mixes.
You May Like: Baskin-robbins Ghost Cake
Why Are My Cupcakes Not Fluffy
TO VIEW AN INGREDIENTS AT ROOM temperature, DO THE REQUIREMENTS. If you are making boozy cupcakes! Use eggs, milk, beer, or liquor if necessary. While these ingredients are at room temperature, they cant work as harmoniously as if they were at room temperature. The combined ingredients of poor prepared cakes may also result in a dense flavor that is not as fluffy as the light version.
Capture The Flavor Of Juicy Fresh Strawberries With This Old
If youre a fan of fresh strawberries, chances are you love them baked into a dessert as well. The only problem? Fresh strawberries can lose their flavor and color during the process. But not with this old-fashioned strawberry cake recipe.
A homemade strawberry puree used in both the cake batter and the frosting is the perfect solution. Its fresh, moist and wonderfully flavored. Its made entirely from scratch, toono need for Jell-O or a boxed mix with this cake.
Also Check: Gluten Free Nothing Bundt Cake
How Can I Make My Cupcakes More Moist
White Wedding Cake Recipe
White cake recipes where originally created for weddings. Only the rich could afford white flour and sugar so a white cake was considered a symbol of your wealth. These days, a white cake with a fine, moist crumb is probably the most common flavor cake baked for all types of occasions.
Ironically, where I am from the more organic and less refined your ingredients are, the more expensive they are. Funny how things tend to go full-circle.
Recommended Reading: Red Velvet Nothing Bundt Cake Calories
My Best Vanilla Cake Recipe Is
Plush, moist, fluffy crumb without being freakishly unnaturally so . No more dense cakes!
Keeps near perfectly for 4 whole days. 100% fresh on Day 1, still 96% perfect on Day 4. Thats unheard of!
Lovely vanilla and butter flavour without a greasy mouthfeel
Even, elegant crumb no large tunnels or irregular, crumbly holes
Bakes perfectly flat no levelling required!
Makes perfect cupcakes
Not overly sweet and
As tender as it can be but still be stable enough to make a large layered cake smothered with frosting or piles of cream and berries. In contrast, Chiffon Cakes and Japanese Sponges which, while lighter still, cannot actually hold up to much extra weight the bottom layer gets quite squished.
So if all that appeals to you too, then I dare say this might become YOUR favourite vanilla cake recipe too! And heres a little preview to show you how soft and fluffy it still is after 4 days:
Is It Done Baking
Putting together a great cake batter is no simple task, so its a good idea to know what to look for when checking to make sure your cake has baked properly. Instead of just relying on the clock, here are a few other indicators that your cake is done:
- A cake is fully baked when a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, or with a few dry crumbs. If the toothpick appears wet with batter, then the cake is not done baking. Try baking for another few minutes before checking again.
- When done, the surface of the cake should spring back after being gently pressed with a fingertip.
- In some cases, the sides of the cake will start to pull away from the pan when done. Be careful, though if the cake shrinks too much, then it might be on its way to being overbaked
Once done, let your cakes cool on a wire rack. Wait for about 15 minutes, or until the cakes and pans are cool enough to handle, before removing the cakes from their pans. If you try to remove a cake that is too hot, it may break into pieces.
Let the cakes completely cool before trimming, cutting, or frosting. A chilled cake is much easier to cut and leaves less crumbs behind.
You May Like: Are Rice Cakes Keto
Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
We had to start it off with a classic chocolate cake! This isnt just any old chocolate cake recipe though its a moist, delicious, and surprisingly easy cake with super simple ingredients.
And, its so tasty you can enjoy it without any toppings or frosting at all .
Were not lying when we say this is the best cream cheese pound cake youll ever try. Its moist, dense, soft, flavorful, and has a nice sweet crust thats so tasty!
With custom toppings like whipped cream or fruit, it gets even better. Plus, it freezes well too!
What Would Make A Cake Not Rise
Using old or stale baking powder, or baking powder that has been improperly stored, can result in not enough rise, and flat dense cakes. … As soon as the water is added to the baking powder the air bubbles are released, so leaving your batter to stand after mixing can also result in flatter, denser cakes.
You May Like: Pralines And Cream Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
What Is A Sponge Cake
A sponge cake is a delicate, spongy cake with a uniform crumb that is made with eggs, sugar, and flour as the main ingredients. The cake absorbs the moisture from the cream very well, making it suitable for just about any kind of cake or a roll. See the bottom of the post for a variety of cakes to make with this fluffy cake.
White Cake Frosting Ingredients
Mmm, frosting. We are making a classic American buttercream.
- Butter. You can use unsalted butter, but you may want to add another pinch of salt to the recipe. To soften butter, remove the butter from the wrapper and place it on a small plate. Put in the microwave for 30-40 seconds on power level one. Dont use full power! Your butter will melt!
- Powdered sugar. Sift the powdered sugar if it looks extra clumpy
- Heavy cream. *Feel free to use whole milk or whatever milk you have on hand. It wont be quite as thick and creamy but it will work.
- Kosher salt. A flakey salt that absorbs moisture. To substitute table salt instead of kosher salt, use ½ table salt for every 1 teaspoons of kosher salt called for in the recipe.
You May Like: Dairy Free Nothing Bundt Cakes