Top Tips For Making Dairy Free Cake
Is Devils Food Cake Mix Vegan
Rich and full of chocolate flavor, this devils food cake is made with a few vegan baking tricks that might surprise you. This cake recipe is a vegan adaption of Nanas Devils Food that Reddit Readers are losing their minds over and for good reason! This is probably the best vegan chocolate cake Ive ever made!
Tip For Measuring Gluten
It is super important to use a measuring cup made for dry ingredients to measure gluten-free flour. I measure the gluten-free flour with the spoon & level method.
I use a large spoon to scoop the flour into the measuring cup. Then I use the back of a knife to level off the top of the measuring cup.
Please do not scoop the flour directly out of the bag with your measuring cup. If you do, you could end up with more flour than is called for in the recipe.
Read Also: Sams Club Baby Shower Cake
How To Use Dairy
- These cake layers can be served as two single layers or as a two-layer cake. You’ll need about 1 1/2 cups per single cake layer, or between 2 and 3 cups of frosting total to frost a 2-layer cake .
- Yellow cake pairs well with a variety of frostings. Try dairy-free vanilla buttercream, chocolate, or cream cheese.
How To Choose Healthy Food For Toddlers: The Options
Are there any special tips for baking cakes without milk? Yes, and our guide will outline how to make dairy-free cake recipes easily.
If you need to replace milk, be sure to use ingredients with similar properties. Which products are suitable as a substitute for milk to make dairy-free cake recipes? Cereal drinks and soy milk in particular are ideal for without lactose.
Can I also bake completely vegan? Of course, there are also plenty of cakes where you can do without animal products. In some cases, however, this involves a much higher expenditure.
Almost every typical cake contains butter and milk. However, not everyone tolerates lactose particularly well and vegans do not have to do without suitable recipes for without eggs. In our article we show you which alternatives you can replace milk in the dough . In addition, we present you various cakes without milk, which not only look good, but are also very tasty.
Recommended Reading: Samsclub Bakery Cakes
Healthier Valentines Day Desserts
So this isnt the healthiest treat. Even if you use honey for the cake, the frosting is sweetened with chocolate, so its got a lot of sugar.
For a sugar-free treat, I can offer you this delicious keto pudding. Plop some raspberries on top, and youve got yourself a super quick Valentines Day dessert! You can also use maple syrup if you prefer.
Let me know if you try the cake! I love getting feedback. 🙂
Grab A Free Printable Copy Of The Easiest Dairy Free Ice Cream Cake:
- Chop cookies in food processor until finely ground.
- Add cookie powder to a large mixing bowl containing 2 cups whipped topping.
- Fold cookies into whipped topping this will be the frosting.
- Lay 4 ice cream sandwiches on a non-stick baking mat and cover with frosting.
- Repeat with 2 more layers of sandwiches.
- Use remaining frosting to cover the entire cake.
- Freeze for at least 2 hours & enjoy!
Recommended Reading: Sams Club Birthday Cakes Cost
How To Make Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
Its so easy to make this chocolate cake, you are going to totally love it.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray three 8-inch cake pans for a three layer cake, or two 9-inch cake pans for a two layer cake, with non-stick spray and line the bottoms with circles of parchment paper. Set aside.
Then sift all purpose flour and unsweetened cocoa powder into a mixing bowl and add sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix together.
Prepare some vegan buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to a measuring jug and then adding soy milk up to the 1 cup line and letting it curdle. You can also use almond milk for this step if you prefer, but soy milk works really well.
Add the vegan buttermilk to the mixing bowl along with some oil, applesauce and vanilla extract and mix into a thick batter.
Then add in 1 cup of boiling hot coffee and whisk it in with a hand whisk.
The batter will be thin once the hot coffee is mixed in, and this is how its supposed to be for this recipe.
Divide the batter evenly between your prepared cake pans and then bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the cakes comes out clean.
Let the cakes cool for a few minutes in the pans before transferring to wire cooling racks to cool completely before frosting.
Can I Use Imitation Vanilla
Many will tell you that you should use high quality vanilla, just like they say you should use the best cocoa.
However, most of us will probably not be willing to pay the hefty price that comes with exceptionally high-quality ingredients.
Overall, vanilla is very expensive, so the extract is as well.
So, if youre not going to get regular quality vanilla extract, you might as well use imitation vanilla.
Recommended Reading: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
Why Is Applesauce A Good Substitute For Eggs
Applesauce is a good substitute for eggs because it helps bind together the other ingredients in this recipe, just like an egg would.
It also helps prevent gluten from developing, which is why it makes such tender baked goods.
While applesauce creates a wonderful texture in these cupcakes, it does cause them to rise a tiny bit less.
You can counteract this by adding an additional 1/4 teaspoon of baking powder to the recipe.
So What Makes This Dairy Free / Vegan Lemon Cake Better Than All The Others
Wowsers, where do I start??
- Its very light in texture not dense or heavy at all.
- Its SUPER moist! No spitting feathers here
- The lemon curd more than makes up for the missing dairy.
- If you didnt know it was dairy free, youd never guess it was!
- The frosting is really light and airy.
- Its cheap to make
I could honestly go on but I feel that at least sums up the main positives. This is genuinely one of the best cakes Ive EVER made. Forget the fact that its dairy free!
Don’t Miss: Does Sams Club Make Wedding Cakes
How To Make The Sugar
- Prepare the pans. Preheat the oven to 350 F and grease two 4 pans with oil.
- Combine the dry ingredients and fold in wet ingredients. Combine the almond flour, oat flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Fold in the rest of the ingredients .
- Bake the cakes. Divide the batter between the two cake pans. Bake for 20-23 minutes or until the cakes are baked through.
- Cook the cakes for frosting. Remove from the oven and carefully transfer to a cooling rack.
- Frost and decorate the cakes! Once the cakes are fully cooled, lightly frost one cake with coconut yogurt, before stacking on the other cake and frosting the entire cake. Top with your desired toppings and serve whole to your baby as a baby smash cake, or slice to enjoy!
How do you make this baby smash cake dairy-free?
Use coconut yogurt as the frosting rather than a traditional frosting! It will also keep it sugar-free if you use plain coconut yogurt.
Can you make baby smash cake egg-free?
You can try to make it with flax eggs! However, I havent tried it and cant guarantee it will work. Though it will likely still come together, it probably wont get as much of a rise.
Can you make this baby smash cake the day before? How do you store it?
You can! I made it the night before my sons birthday party and it worked out perfectly. I stored it in glass, and then frosted it the next day.
How To Make A Dairy Free Chocolate Cake
Because we are making this dairy free chocolate cake also a vegan chocolate cake, we need to make this cake without eggs. In order to do that we are replacing the typical milk or buttermilk in a regular chocolate cake recipe with dairy free buttermilk. For the eggs, we are doing a combination of applesauce, baking soda, and apple cider vinegar.
Once we had the replacements we needed to make this dairy free chocolate, we were ready to bring you the most delicious dairy free cake ever.
In one bowl, youll combine all the dry ingredients by sifting them into the bowl. Then, youll make the dairy free buttermilk and let that sit up. In another bowl, youll add all the wet ingredients, except the coconut oil and additional dairy free milk.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients with a mixer on low speed in four increments, just until blended. In a small saucepan, bring the coconut oil and dairy free milk to a boil. Pour that in and stir to combine. Let mixture sit for 5 minutes.
Grease 3 9 pans and evenly pour batter into each one. Bake at 350 degrees for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove and let cool completelyBake in oven 28-32 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
See below tips and tricks for making this dairy free chocolate cake perfect!
Don’t Miss: Mrs Fields Happy Birthday Cookie Cake
The Easiest Dairy Free Ice Cream Cake
This cookies and cream ice cream cake is the most popular recipe on my blog by far and its one of our go-to party desserts.
Theres only one problem since Im lactose intolerant I personally cant enjoy more than a couple bites! But the good news is that all it takes is one simple substitution to make a dairy free ice cream cake that I can eat as much of as my heart desires!
Instead of using regular ice cream sandwiches, I use a dairy free version and Im good to go! My favorites are made with coconut milk ice cream, but you can use whichever variety you prefer.
Gluten Free & Dairy Free Victoria Sponge Cake
My recipe for Gluten Free & Dairy Free Victoria Sponge Cake is absolutely foolproof. Plus its simple to make and tastes heavenly! This basic Victoria sandwich recipe can also be used as a base to make other gluten and dairy-free cakes by simply adding other flavours.
This post contains Affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Gluten-free Victoria sponge cake is a recipe that has been requested so many times Ive lost count. Its so simple Ive never shared it, despite making it all the time.
Its very easy to make these simple gluten-free sponge cakes dairy-free as well. Especially since any good jam sponge is simple with minimal ingredients just as this one is.
I use it as the basis of most of my gluten-free, dairy-free sponge cakes, flavouring each in any way that I like. If youre interested to know more about that then head to my post called The Secret To Great Gluten-Free Cakes
Read Also: Can You Have Rice Cakes On Keto
How To Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- In a large bowl cream butter until smooth with a stand-up or hand mixer.
- Add the pure vanilla and almond extract to the butter. Mix until fully combined.
- Add the cocoa powder and mix until fully combined.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time to the butter mixture and mix until fully combined.
- Add the milk to the frosting and beat until smooth and spreadable.
- Place the first cake with the shiny side down on a plate or a cake plate.
- Frost the top of the first cake. This will be the frosting in the center of your cake. I like a good amount of frosting in the center.
- Place the second cake on top of the frosted first cake the shiny side down.
- Frost the top and side of the cake with the remaining frosting.
- I decorated the top with chocolate shavings and frosting flowers using a Wilton 1M tip.
How To Store And Freeze
- The cakes can be made ahead of time and tightly wrapped and stored for up to a day before frosting. Before storing, make sure the cakes are completely cooled. If you wrap them while they’re still warm, the extra humidity and heat could actually make the cake spoil faster.
- Whether kept at room temperature or in the fridge, the cake must be completely sealed from other foods and will keep for two to three days. They will keep in the freezer for up to a month.
- If freezing these cakes, be sure to thaw them gradually. Frozen cakes should be thawed in the fridge and then set out in a cool room to reach room temperature.
- After the cake has been frosted, it still must be covered, but it will keep a little longer as frosting helps lock in moisture. Cake that has vegan buttercream or fondant icing will keep for three to four days in the fridge.
Read Also: Birthday Cake Protein Bars Recipe
The Easiest Healthy Baby Smash Cake
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. Im not a doctor or RD. Always make sure your baby is at least 6 months and has reached all signs or readiness to enjoy solids. Always supervise your baby!
This sugar-free baby smash cake is made with almond flour, oat flour, apple sauce, banana, and eggs! Its topped with a dairy-free yogurt frosting, perfect for dairy-sensitive little ones!