Filling Your House With The Sweet Smell Of Freshly Baked Carrot Cake Is Way Easier Than You Might Think
Theres something about carrot cake that is simply irresistible. With its mellow carrot sweetness, cinnamon spice and tangy cream cheese frosting, you cant help but cut yourself a slice. This is especially true for Taste of Home contributor Kim Orr of West Grove, Pennsylvania.
Growing up, Kim would beg her mother to this old-fashioned carrot cake recipe each year for her birthday. Luckily for us, Kim has shared this celebratory carrot cake recipe with the entire Taste of Home community. Keep reading to learn how to make this traditional carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. We bet youll love it enough to serve on your own birthday!
But first, make sure you have the right cake supplies to create sweet success!
Do I Have To Buy Buttermilk I Always Throw The Rest Away
My store sells a small carton of buttermilk, so I didnt have to worry about wasting it.
However, if you do find yourself with a quart, check out my leftover buttermilk recipes.
But if you really, really dont want to buy buttermilk, you can substitute 1/4 cup whole milk with 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Let it sit for 5 minutes or until the milk looks curdled.
Easy Carrot Cake Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, and salt.
- To a large bowl, add eggs and whisk until lightly beaten. Add sugar and vegetable oil and beat until well-mixed. Add flour mixture and use a wooden spoon to stir until just mixed.
- Add carrots and stir until evenly distributed, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all of the batter is mixed.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish and smooth the top. Bake for about 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the center of the cake looks set and a toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pan until completely cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, and vanilla until well-combined and smooth. Slowly add sifted powdered sugar and beat until all the sugar is incorporated and frosting is smooth and creamy.
- Spread frosting over the top of the cake. Chill before serving if desired, and enjoy!
Also Check: Can I Have Rice Cakes On Keto
Which Ingredient Makes Cake Soft
Cake flour, which is more finely ground and contains less protein than its all-purpose counterpart, is a major contributor to how soft and the overall weight of a cake. Since cake flour has less protein, less gluten is formed. Without all of that gluten, the cake becomes less dense, airy, and smooth.
What Is Carrot Cake
Carrot cake is a spice cake with grated carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove then frosted with cream cheese frosting.
My small carrot cake recipe is baked in a 6 inch cake pan , making it acceptable as dessert for two.
Dont have a 6 inch pan? You can also make my small batch Carrot Cake Cupcakes with pineapple.
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Seasonal Flavors 2021
What Are The Major Ingredients And Minor Ingredients In Cake Baking
Ingredients. Flour, water, and leavening agents are the ingredients primarily responsible for the characteristic appearance, texture, and flavour of most bakery products. Eggs, milk, salt, shortening, and sugar are effective in modifying these qualities, and various minor ingredients may also be used.
Moist & Fluffy Homemade Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Will Become Your New Favourite Recipe
This carrot cake recipe is one you will fall in love with time and time again! The perfect balance of flavour with a hint of cinnamon, soft crunch from nuts, crushed pineapple and an incredibly moist crumb smothered all over with a silky smooth cream cheese frosting.
The perfect texture, the best flavour, easy and foolproof Carrot Cake!
You May Like: Blueberry Yogurt Bundt Cake
How To Make Carrot Cake
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- Orange and green food coloring, optional
Step 1: Mix the ingredients
In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and oil, and set aside. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda and powder, nutmeg and salt. Then, a third at a time, stir the dry mixture into the wet mixture until its fully combined. Fold in the grated carrot.
Test Kitchen tip: Add an old-school touch to your carrot cake by stirring in some raisins, shredded coconut, chopped walnuts and/or well-drained crushed pineapple. Each will give your carrot cake texture and some added sweetness.
Healthy tip: You can also replace half, or all, of the canola oil with an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce. This swap not only gives your cake some apple flavor but reduces the fat content, too.
Step 2: Bake your carrot cake
Grease and flour two 9-in. round baking pans (Psst! Check out our no-fail way on how to grease a cake pan. Divide the cake batter evenly between the pans and then bake them in a 350° oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
Step 3: Prepare the cream cheese frosting
Reserve about 1/2 cup of frosting for optional decorating. Fold the chopped walnuts into the remaining frosting, if desired.
Step 4: Frost and decorate
Step 5: Enjoy
Baking/making Yummy Carrot Cake
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
In a large bowl add your flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg! Mix it together.
Now in a smaller bowl combine your eggs, shredded carrots, brown sugar, white sugar, oil and vanilla. Mix it together making sure its mixed fully.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not over-mix!
Pour the batter into a greased 9×13 baking dish. Spread evenly in the pan. Let me mention this recipe makes a thinner cake more like a bar! I love it more thin because I get the perfect cake to frosting ratio! If you want it thicker you can double the cake batter or bake it in an 8×8 pan..it will need to bake longer!
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the middle looks set. It should be springy and soft when you gently touch it and a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the center. Cool completely before frosting.
Frost with the best ever Cream Cheese Frosting!
This cake will stay fresh for up to a week if covered tightly !
I dont ever refrigerate my cakeeven with the cream cheese frosting! We have never gotten sick, but if you are worried you can store it in the fridge!
Yummy Carrot Cake is easy to make! It is simple but delicious! A moist carrot cake with a sweet and creamy cream cheese frosting makes this cake amazingly delicious!
Here are some products I used to make this recipe:
CHECK OUT MY LATEST POSTS!
Don’t Miss: Dairy Queen 8 Inch Cake Price
How To Make Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Making these cupcakes is just as simple as making carrot cake. If you have a couple of bowls and can stir ingredients together then you can absolutely make these cupcakes! Heres how I like to do it:
Ingredients For Healthy Carrot Cake
- Whole wheat flour : It is crucial you use one these flours. I have not tested the recipe with white whole wheat or pastry whole wheat flours.
- Greek yogurt: Its the Greek yogurt that replaces majority of oil that traditional carrot cake recipe call for. Make sure to use one with at least 2% fat content.
- Maple syrup or honey: Both add moisture and amazing flavour. You definitely will taste honey more. Any liquid sweetener will work.
- Carrots: Finely grated carrots and not squeezed.
- Eggs, oil and milk: Any light tasting oil like avocado, light olive oil, grapeseed oil will work. Any milk is fine too. These ingredients add moisture and act as a binder.
- Nuts and coconut flakes: My absolute favourite is a combo of toasted walnuts and coconut flakes that add moisture. Coconut flakes can be long, regular or dessicated. I use unsweetened variety but you can use sweetened and cake will be sweeter. Also on top I sprinkled coconut chips.
- Powdered sugar: We need only 1/2 cup to make healthy frosting unlike traditional recipes that call for 2 or even 3 cups of icing sugar.
- Baking essentials: Vanilla extract, cinnamon, baking powder, salt.
Don’t Miss: What Is Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake Made Of
Tips For The Best Carrot Cake
- Finely shred carrots. This offers a perfectly uniform texture, cleaner slices and no large visible chunks of carrots.
- Use freshest carrots if possible for best flavor.
- Precisely measure ingredients . If you have a kitchen scale use that for the most accuracy.
- Dont over-mix the batter after adding in flour and after adding in carrots. Otherwise cake can be spongy and may not rise as high.
- Properly prepare cake pans. Dont forget to grease pan, line with parchment and dust with flour. No risk of cake sticking and falling apart.
- Use cake strips to wrap around cake pans if you have them for more even layers and a higher rise. Be sure to soak in water a while before using.
- Bake just until cooked through. Under-cooked and cake will collapse, over-cooked and cake will be dry.
Are Cake Pops Unhealthy
Monocalcium phosphate is not a concern when consumed in moderation. The consumption of excessive amounts of phosphates in the diet, particularly when they are found in processed foods like Starbucks cake pops, can accelerate the aging process, increase the risk of heart disease, and place undue stress on the kidneys, among other health risks.
You May Like: Buy Opera Cake
How To Pipe A Carrot Decoration
- Skill Level
- Buttercream frosting
Fit the piping bag with round decorating tip 12 and fill 1/2 full with medium consistency frosting. Hold the decorating bag at slightly less than 90 degree angle.
Click to mark this step as completed
Position tip slightly above the surface. Using heavy pressure, begin squeezing at the top of the carrot. Lift tip slightly, letting the frosting fan out generously. Gradually relax pressure to taper shape as you pull back.
Click to mark this step as completed
When the carrot is the desired length, relax pressure and pull the tip back without lifting it off the surface to pull the end to a point.
Click to mark this step as completed
Trim with multi-opening decorating tip 233 pull-out string tops.
Click to mark this step as completed
- For smaller sized carrots, use tip 6 for carrot and tip 2 for pull out top
- Dip your finger in cornstarch and gently pat down any sharp points
How Do I Make My Cake Light And Fluffy
Creaming simply means beating butter with sugar until light and fluffy, trapping tiny air bubbles. The air bubbles youre adding, plus the CO2 released by raising agents, will expand as they heat up, and the cake will rise. A wooden spoon and elbow grease will do the job, but an electric mixer is your best bet.
Recommended Reading: Chi Chis Cornbread Recipe
What Our Readers Are Saying
If you dont believe that our recipe helps you bake the best homemade carrot cake, take a look at what our readers are saying about the recipe! More reviews are in the comments section below.
Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, very easy to follow, came out perfect first attempt great hit with the family, now a regular demand from my kids. A
This carrot cake was amazing!!! I made it for my husbands birthday and he said it would win a Paul Hollywood handshake Yuna
This is an absolutely divine carrot cake recipe!!!! It is so hard to find one that is not dry this one is moist and works perfectly every single time and we make it often as it is definitely our favorite!!! Jodi
Since posting this recipe, weve had some frequently asked questions. Here are the most common:
Jazz Up Salads Antipasto And Dinner Plates A Fun Alternative To Carrot Sticks For Snacking
Looking for holiday gifts for the foodie in your life?
- 1 large carrot–at least 1″ wide at top
I learned to make carrot curls years ago when I worked in the kitchen of an Italian restaurant. They were a colorful, edible garnish for the restaurant salads and antipasto.
Carrot curls are so easy to make, and they add flair, crunch, and a fun factor that may even encourage kids to eat their carrots! It only takes a few minutes to prep them, and they will hold in the fridge for at least week. That way they’re handy to add to salads or simply pretty up your sandwich or dinner plate with something fun and nutritious.
Here’s the simple procedure.
Step 1. Assemble the supplies:
- carrots — I like them to be at least 1″ wide at the top–even wider is better. You can use smaller carrots, but the big ones make the best curls.
- a peeler — I prefer a Y-peeler it makes it easy to cut long, even strips
- vinyl paper clips — these won’t rust like the metal ones
- container with lid
Step 2. Peel the carrot and discard the peelings.
Step 3. Lay the carrot flat on a cutting board. Starting at the wide end of the carrot, use the peeler to cut thin, even strips that run the entire length of the carrot.
Make it a Yummy day!
Don’t Miss: Sams Club Baby Shower Cakes