Favorite Recipes From Crazy For Crust
**Did you make this recipe? Dont forget to give it a star rating below!**
It was all I could do to get photos without her jumping on the counter
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
Healthy Dog Cake Recipe
When you’re shopping for the necessary ingredients, I recommend using organic, natural ingredients whenever possible. One of the best things about making your dog’s birthday cake yourself from scratch is that you can leave out all of the unnecessary preservatives and artificial ingredients found in commercial products, and pack it with nutrition.
Dog Birthday Cake Tips
Dogs love all things peanut butter! Dogs always seem to know when youre making something for them.
This cake is so easy to make and decorate. Here are a few tips and ideas to spoil your best friend and wish them Happy Birthday:
- Frost the cake with peanut butter. To make it easier to spread, you might mix in a little coconut oil or yogurt. I used the peanut butter straight from the jar because I wanted it a nice piping consistency. Natural peanut butter might be too soft to pipe.
- If you dont want to top your dog birthday cake with sprinkles, try using little store-bought dog treats instead! Do this only if you dont plan on sharing the cake with your dog, of course!
- You can vary the recipe, substituting the carrot baby food with sweet potatoes, mashed banana, pumpkin puree, or apple sauce.
- To make a layer cake, simply double the recipe and spread peanut butter between the layers.
- Its going to be a messy celebration. Be sure to lay out a drop cloth on the floor for your dog when he enjoys his cake!
And yes, you can eat this cake with your dog! Its not as sweet as regular cakes, but its totally edible. Why not share a little birthday cheer with your furry friend?
Finally, for an adorable birthday outfit for your pet, dont forget our super easy DIY dog bandana! The perfect finishing touch!
Our dog Sadie loved this cake! I hope your furry friends love this dog-friendly cake too! Please let me know in the comments.
Read Also: Chocolate Lava Cake Jack In The Box
Full Cake Vs Pupcakes
Looking to convert this cake into pupcakes for your pup? Grease a muffin tin and fill the cups 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-22 minutes. It should yield about 9-12 cupcakes.
You can also try making this cake in a Dog Bone Cake Pan so you dont have to attempt cutting shaping it on your own. You can also try baking it in this Paw Print Cake Pan for another fun dog-themed cake.
How To Make A Dog Cake From Scratch:
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add all of the ingredients but the whipping cream. See the recipe card below for measurements. Mix all of the ingredients well together.
Set the oven to 350°F. Coat a 6×3 round cake pan with olive oil to help the cake not stick. Add the cake mixture into the pan and bake for about 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
Take the cake out of the oven and set it aside to cool to room temperature.
Add the whipping cream to a mixer and beat on high until peaks begin to form. This will make the frosting to top the cake with and getting whipping cream to peak can take some time. I usually have to wait for about 20-minutes for mine to be ready.
Once the cake is cooled and the frosting has peaked, you are now ready to decorate. You can add the frosting into a piping bag to decorate with or simply spread it over the top of the cake. Top with dog treats and it is ready to go for your furry friend.
Don’t Miss: Sams Cakes Designs
Dog Birthday Party Ideas
In addition to making this cake, why dont you throw your pup a pawty? To some it might sound ridiculous, but the the exceptional dog mom or dad it sounds perfect. Have the dogs run around and tire themselves out while the humans enjoy a cocktail? Sign me up.
Here are some cool dog party props I found online .
Key Ingredients Youll Need
- Whole Wheat Flour: Gives structure to the cake and has more nutrients than all-purpose flour.
- Peanut Butter or Almond Butter: Natural. Be sure you check the label and use a peanut butter that is made strictly with peanuts .
- Vegetable Oil: Used in place of butter to keep the batter moist and makes the cake easy to eat.
- Honey: Sweetens the cake without adding too much sugar.
- Carrots: Adding shredded carrots adds moisture to the cake as well as vitamins and fiber for your dog!
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Seasonal Flavors
Can Dogs Have Donuts
They can when you make them dog safe! This dog donut recipe includes only ingredients that are shown to be safe for dogs. Use dog donuts as a treat for a special occasion or a reward for a job well done.
Typical doughnuts made with white flour and lots of sugar, should not be served to doggies. Save those for yourself!
The ingredients in this recipe are generally recognized as safe for dogs. While I am comfortable feeding these to my dog, I always suggest consulting with your veterinarian for what is safe for YOUR dog.
The Best Healthy Dog Birthday Cake
The Best Healthy Dog Cake that is perfect to make for any pawty! Made with all-natural ingredients like oats, peanut butter, and banana, your puppy will be sure to LOVE every bite!
Well, its official. My little baby is not so little anymore!
I cant believe Cashew is already ONE! It feels like just yesterday that we brought her home for the first time and now shes completely taken over the couch and doubled in size.
Its no secret that Im a crazy dog mom, and proud of it! So naturally, I jumped on the opportunity to bake her a bone-shaped birthday cake. Followed by a ridiculously cute photoshoot to show it off haha.
I mean, seriously?! I cant even handle this cuteness. Ps. Her bandana was custom made for her by Yonas Closet.
Read Also: Wilton Serving Size Chart
How To Make Birthday Cake For Your Dog: A Dog Cake Recipe
People are not the only ones who celebrate birthdays every year, pets too! Furry friends, especially dogs, bring so much joy, happiness, and sweetness to your family, so there is no excuse not to spoil them during their birthday. A birthday celebration is not complete and exciting without a sweet and delicious birthday cake. Unfortunately, the cake you buy in the cakeshop may be bad for your dog and can be a threat to your dogs life.
The good thing is, you can still make your dogs birthday special by contacting a bakeshop that can customize a birthday cake for your cute dogs or by preparing a homemade birthday cake. In this case, you are sure that every ingredient in the cake is fresh and good for your pet. The question is, how you can make a birthday cake and what are the ingredients that are harmful to your fur baby. This article will answer all questions running on your mind.
Tips And Tricks For Pumpkin Dog Cake Recipe
Consult your pets veterinarian to know if your dog is not allergic to the ingredients stated above. Beat the heavy cream until soft peak before adding the peanut butter. Make sure to adjust your dog cakes temperature and cooking time since they come in different shapes and sizes. For instance, if you make a single mini springform pan, it is suitable to utilize a toaster oven to bake it. It is more energy-efficient than using a full-sized oven.
If you are using peanut butter and yogurt, avoid purchasing artificial sweeteners, especially xylitol. Even though it is okay for human consumption, it is extremely harmful to dogs because it is a sugar alcohol. Humans and dogs react differently to xylitol due to the pancreas present in humans and dogs, regulating blood sugar. If a dog were to consume it, the release of insulin would be so quick. It results in a dramatic drop in blood sugar levels that is known as hypoglycemia.
Likewise, make sure the ingredients are 100% dog safe. If canned pumpkin puree is unavailable, you can substitute it for a plain pumpkin that is not spiced. Also, ensure the homemade pumpkin puree is not watery. Because of that, you may have to test the flour amount for an appropriate batter consistency.
Read Also: Strawberry Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
Pumpkin Dog Cake Recipe
This dog cake recipe calls for pumpkin and applesauce. The greek yogurt peanut butter frosting will be irresistible for your pup!
Its Hudsons birthday! Can you believe hes two years old? It feels like I was just baking him his first homemade biscuits yesterday. To celebrate his second birthday, I baked him a pumpkin dog cake with peanut butter frostingtwo of his favorite flavors!
Hudson spent his birthday hiking in Colorado with fellow fur friends. He also ate some of his birthday cake, which he loved! The recipe is incredibly easy.
Coconut Berry Dog Cake
You might be tempted to try this refreshing dog cake! The blueberries and strawberries are rich in antioxidants, Vitamin C and phytochemicals, which are great for your dogs health. Coconut oil, another ingredient, is also good for digestion and enhances your pets coat. The recipe below makes one 4-inch cake.
- 1½ cups coconut flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup blueberries
You May Like: Sam’s Club German Chocolate Cake
Spoiled Dog Cake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl mix together vegetable oil, peanut butter, applesauce and pumpkin puree. Once combined, mix in egg and mix until combined.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into an 8″ round pan that has been greased with oil.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack prior to removing from pan.
- After cooling, add frosting if desired.
- Mix Greek yogurt and peanut butter until well combined. Spread over cake. If not serving immediately, store in refrigerator.
Dog Birthday Cake Faqs
Is birthday cake bad for dogs?
It depends on the cake. If you are making the cake for your dog you can control what ingredients go into the cake, keeping it as healthy and safe as possible for your dog.
What treat can I give my dog for their birthday?
You can give your dog a homemade birthday cake like the one Ive shared in this post. Some other treats you can give your dog on their birthday include homemade dog biscuits, pupcakes, or frozen peanut butter yogurt dog treats.
What kind of cake can dogs eat?
The best kind of cake for your dog is a homemade dog cake or one you pick up from a bakery that specializes in dog cakes. Some of the most common flavors of dog cakes include peanut butter, pumpkin, and sweet potato.
Can I eat dog birthday cake?
Yes! Every ingredient in this cake is safe for human consumption . This cake will not be as sweet as a traditional birthday cake so keep that in mind if you decide to dive in!
Read Also: Sams Sheet Cake Price
Frozen Banana And Peanut Butter Pupcakes
Photo and Recipe by LolathePittyIngredients
- ½ cup of frozen peas
- ¼ cup of rolled oats
- ¼ cup of shredded cheese
- 1 or 2 medium-size potato or sweet potato
- Place the potato/es in a hot pan full of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low heat and cook for about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, combine the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix, as if making meatloaf. Split it up evenly between greased baking tins, flattening the texture to make neat ‘pattie’ forms.
- Put the mixture in the freezer for around 30 minutes.
- Peel off and mash cooked potatoes until soft, adding water as required to achieve a seamless and spreadable consistency.
- To cover, take spoonful and structure mashed potatoes among both and over two of the meat cakes. To achieve the appearance of a frosted center, place a thick coat between both two cakes. Then, spread the outer of the cake.
- Use the rest of the peas to garnish the cake’s top.
- To bring color and various designs to your dog’s cake, you can use a variety of dog-friendly vegetables or treats!
What To Put In A Dog Birthday Cake
As you all probably know, Tilly is my favorite thing. So, we wanted to spoil Tilly rotten for her birthday with all of her favorite things. And if you know Tilly, you know her favorite foods are pumpkin, greek yogurt, and peanut butter . Naturally we landed on a peanut butter pumpkin cake held together with a Tilly approved peanut butter and greek yogurt frosting.
Even though this cake is made with safe ingredients, youll still want to limit the amount of dog bday cake your puppy eats. This dog birthday cake recipe will make a small 6 inch cake, but we still wouldnt recommend giving the entire cake to your pup. We gave Tilly a small piece and she was more than happy.
Read Also: Bundt Cakes Winston Salem
Best Dog Cake For Pups With Stomach Sensitivities: Grain
If your doggo has a sensitive stomach, this grain-free dog cake from Cotter Crunch is the perfect way to praise your pooch. This cake is made with chickpea flour and mashed strawberries for a naturally slightly sweet treat for your favorite pooch. Its also made without peanut butter, so its great for pups who dont fare well with peanuts.
This cake is made by mixing the chickpea flour base with fresh strawberries. The cake is made without eggs and is topped greek yogurt or coconut cream.
You can top the cake with sliced strawberries or serve it plain. Either way, your doggo will be happy to devour this tummy-friendly cake.
- Plain Greek yogurt or unsweetened coconut cream