Enter The Depression Cake
I remembered reading about a style of cake known as a Depression Cake. Not depression as in a negative emotional state, but depression as in Great Depression. No milk, no butter, no eggs and no fancy electric mixer needed.
I found a recipe and made a few changes this wasnt The Great Depression after all.
The main change was substituting coffee for half of the water in the recipe. Coffee gives a richer deeper flavour to chocolate cakes but you cant taste any trace of the coffee in the finished cake at all you wouldnt even know it was there.
Essentially, you mix together the dry ingredients and then add the vinegar, vanilla and oil. Using a fork, you mix all this together until it is well combined. Its like a dry crumbly pastry dough at this stage. To be honest, it looked a lot like soil actually.
Then you add the cold water and coffee and mix vigorously. Mix, mix, mix. Get those arm muscles into it. Its actually not too hard to get the bake batter to a good lump-free consistency .
Simple Chocolate Cake Batter
Into the spring form tin and pop into the oven. One bonus of so little baking equipment was that cleaning up was a breeze.
The smell of chocolate cake baking filled the house. Mouths were watering. Hungry family members made tentative forays in the kitchen to check on the progress of the cake and calculate when their first slice would be served.
And the taste? Absolutely fabulous!
The cake had a rich, deep chocolatey flavour and was quite light and fluffy.
Prepare Your Cake Pans
Spray your pan with baking spray or nonstick vegetable spray before filling with batter to prevent your cake from sticking. You can also use a parchment paper circle in the bottom of the pan for easier removal. Simply lay the parchment paper circle on top of the sprayed pan and fill with batter. The parchment paper does not need to be sprayed again.
Using a parchment paper circle is a great way to get a nice, smooth finish on your top cake layer. Simply peel the parchment from your cooled cake and youre ready to go.
Looking For A Great Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe
Looking for a FABULOUS Chocolate Doctored Cake Mix Recipe? We have an amazing recipe just for you!: Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
This doctored cake mix recipe is so good, and nobody would ever guess that it started with a mix. Sometimes you just need a quick and easy doctored cake mix recipe and this one never fails!
Also Check: Wedding Cake Steps For Pools
Chocolate Cake Recipe Variations
This chocolate cake recipe has been the most popular post on Foodess.com for years it has been pinned hundreds of thousands of times, and for good reason! Everyone who makes it falls in love, and everyone who tastes it asks for the recipe. You wont be disappointed. Its still my go-to, no-fail, delicious chocolate cake recipe for every birthday, celebration, or Valentines Day.
Ive made many variations on it since it was originally posted, and due to popular request have shared the Fluffy Chocolate Frosting recipe to go with it. Ive also made it as Moist Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Cream Cheese Frosting and as Caramallow Cupcakes chocolate cupcakes filled with creamy caramel and topped with deliciously sticky marshmallow frosting. That frosting, also known as seven-minute frosting, was the way we enjoyed chocolate cake most often when I was a kid and is still probably my top choice. Another favourite way to enjoy this beloved cake is very simply with sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries.
This chocolate cake recipe freezes beautifully and Ill typically make it a few days in advance when preparing for a party. Just wrap the cooled cakes well in plastic wrap before popping them into freezer bags. Freeze them until ready to use, and you can frost them while still cold . I do make sure that its at room temperature by the time its served for best texture . If you love this one, Ive got lots more cake recipes be sure to check them out!
Give Your Cake Time To Cool
When your cake layers are done, remove them from the oven and place each pan on a cooling grid to cool for 15 minutes. Removing the cake from the pan when its still hot can cause your cake to stick or break.
Once your cake layers have cooled for 15 minutes, you can remove them from the pans. Let them cool completely on the cooling grid before decorating. It should take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes for your cakes to completely cool to room temperature.
Also Check: Sams Club Birthday Cakes And Cupcakes
Mixing Method For The Chocolate Butter Cake:
The blending technique for this cake is simply the basic creaming technique, however even simpler.
With the creaming technique, you mainly whip up the butter and sugar till fluffy, you then alternately add in your dry and liquid components.
After I initially wrote this recipe, the directions went by creaming the butter and sugar for a pair minutes and later including within the sizzling water. Whereas I actually assume its necessary to combine the butter and sugar effectively, Ive decided that its not vital to combine it fairly as lengthy with this one.
Mainly, its actually not essential to whip the butter and sugar for a number of minutes for this cake, since youll later add within the sizzling espresso and that can primarily soften the butter and the sugar.
The Best Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
Published by Lauren on
Looking for the most delicious homemade chocolate cake recipe? You are in luck! This homemade chocolate cake is chocolate cake perfection! This best chocolate cake recipe it is super easy to make and results in the perfect from scratch chocolate cake recipe every time.
Also Check: Dairy Queen Rainbow Cake
Also Check: Sam’s Club Two Tier Cake Price
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
The cakes and the chocolate frosting can both be made ahead of time. Allow the cakes to cool completely and then wrap each layer in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to three month. Cakes can be frosted while frozen.
The homemade chocolate frosting will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Remove the frosting from the fridge about an hour before youre ready to frost your cake to allow it to come to room temperature.
Read Also: Bundtini Calories
How To Make Homemade Chocolate Cake
This will take a little bit more time than a box cake but trust me, it will pay off! There is something about this cake that tastes so good, that you wont mind a few extra steps in the process to get there!
Read Also: Ice Cream Log Cake Dairy Queen
Mixing Dry & Wet Ingredients
6. Pour 1 cup water .
7. Pour 1/3 cup oil . I have used organic virgin coconut oil. Do use some light oil otherwise the cake may smell oily.
8. Next add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Yes this cake needs more vanilla than the other recipes. However if you prefer less you may use only half of it.
9. Add 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar. Make sure you use good quality vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar.
10. Mix all these well gently with a whisk or a spatula just until well combined.
11. You will notice that the cake batter begins to bubble up. The acidic ingredient vinegar or lemon juice begins to react with the baking soda. Do not over mix at this stage, it may make the cake dense.
The Most Amazing Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
The Most Amazing Chocolate Cupcake Recipe is moist, chocolatey perfection. These are the chocolate cupcakes youve been dreaming of!
The Most Amazing Chocolate Cupcake Recipe is moist, chocolatey perfection. These are the chocolate cupcakes youve been dreaming of!
We know how much everyone loves The Most Amazing Chocolate Cake. Thousands of rave reviews have poured in from all over the world. It truly is the perfect chocolate cake. We have now scaled back the recipe so that it is perfect for cupcakes, making an even two dozen.
This is the best chocolate cupcake recipe in the world and its pretty easy to make too. They are unbelievable moist, about as perfect as they come. No more boxed cake mixes! We have kept this recipe as simple as possible so that even an inexperienced baker can be successful with it.
Read Also: Wedding Cake Pool Steps Replacement Rails
Oven Variations In Baking:
This recipe should take between 45-50 minutes to bake in the oven. However, the cakes doneness is more important than how long it has been baking in the oven. All ovens vary a bit from each other, running either hot or cold, fanned or not. It is best to see recipe instructions as a guide for an approximation of baking time, but dont worry if your cake is ready sooner or if it needs a few more minutes. You want to bake your chocolate bundt cake until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. For a truly accurate baking experience, we highly recommend an oven thermometer.
If you like this recipe, you may be interested in these other delicious cake recipes:
How To Make The Best Chocolate Cupcakes
Not only does this recipe make the best chocolate cupcakes in my book, they are also so quick and easy.
Ingredients for Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
- all-purpose flour
- espresso powder Optional, but I highly recommend adding espresso powder to your chocolate recipes.
- milk you can also use buttermilk, almond milk, oat milk, or coconut milk
- oil you can use vegetable, canola or melted coconut oil
- eggs when baking, I like to use room temperature eggs
- vanilla extract
- boiling water
There are a couple of ingredients that make my cake and these cupcakes different and the best Ive ever had. One of these is the boiling water. Its so important to my recipe, so please dont skip it even though you may think it sounds strange. It will make the cake batter thinner compared to most other batters, but it results in a very tender and moist cupcake.
This cupcake recipe is so simple. The batter can easily be mixed in a single bowl without using a mixer.
You May Like: Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake Commercial
Chocolate Cake From Scratch
Lets make a homemade Chocolate Cake from Scratch! This is the best easy recipe to make moist and light cake with perfect crumb and rich chocolate flavor, covered with incredibly delicious whipped chocolate ganache!
If youve never tried to make a chocolate cake from scratch, you need to try this recipe! Its super easy to make, even if you are a beginner baker. You will have a super moist and light cake, layered with delicious whipped chocolate ganache. Its so much better than store bought!
Why You Should Make This Recipe
- This bundt cake recipe is made with simple ingredients you can find anywhere.
- It can all be prepared in one bowl saving you time on dishes and cleanup.
- Chocolate cake is great for any holiday or special occasion.
- It can be customized with a variety of toppings including fresh fruit, powdered sugar, or icing.
Read Also: Sam’s Club Graduation Cakes
How To Melt Chocolate
This chocolate cake recipe calls for 6 oz. of semi-sweet chocolate, which gives this cake that rich, chocolatey flavor! Melting the chocolate can be done in the microwave but you can also use a double boiler for better control.
If you decide to use a double boiler, take extra care that no moisture from the steam gets into your chocolate. This may cause seizing and youll have to start over.
Ingredients In The Perfect Chocolate Cake
Even though you are making this cake from scratch , It is not hard and the ingredients are all stuff that you have heard of before! See the recipe card below for a list of exact measurements!
- Vegetable oil: You can use butter but it will change the texture! So I recommend vegetable oil if you can!
- Warm coffee: This enhances the chocolate flavor But if you would rather, buttermilk or warm water works too!
- Eggs: This will bind the batter together!
- Vanilla: Gives a flavor to the sweetness!
- Flour: This creates a base to mix all of the ingredients together!
- Sugar: This balances out the cocoa powder making the overall taste sweet!
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: Make sure you do NOT use Dutch process
- Baking soda: This makes the cake rise and become fluffy!
- Salt: Enchances all of the ingredient flavors!
Also Check: Wedding Steps For Pool
Tips For Best Results
- Sifting. I prefer to sift flour and cocoa powder for this recipe, so it will be light and without any clumps.
- Cocoa Powder. Do not use Dutch-process cocoa powder in this recipe but unsweetened natural cocoa powder.
- Coffee. For hot coffee, you can use regular or decaf coffee. It wont taste like coffee but will helps to enrich the chocolate flavor. If you dont have coffee, you can just use hot water.
- Buttermilk. If you dont have buttermilk, you can make it at home yourself. Just add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk, stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The mixture should curdle a bit when ready.
- Cake Pan. Make sure you use a leak proof cake pan for this recipe. Because the batter is very thin, it may leak out.
- Parchment Paper. Its important to use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, so it will be easier to take the cake out of the form. If you skip this step, most likely your cake will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Chocolate Ganache. When you whip the ganache, make sure you DONT over whip it! Otherwise, it will become more like a butter texture and will be too thick to spread over the cake.