Faq: Storing Milk Bar Chocolate Chip Cakefor Serving Later
How To Store Milk Bar Chocolate Chip Cake
The assembled cake will keep, uncovered in the refrigerator, for up to 1 day. After that, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an additional 3 days. Leftover slices can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Can you freeze Milk Bar chocolate chip cake?
Yes! You can freeze Milk Bar chocolate chip cake in two ways.
First, you can freeze the assembled cake for up to 2 weeks. When ready to serve, follow the recipe instructions to thaw the cake in the refrigerator and serve accordingly.
Second, you can freeze any leftover slices. Tightly wrap any leftover slices in two layers of plastic wrap and a layer of aluminum foil if storing for longer than 1 week. Freeze for up to 3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
The Best Ways To Store Chocolate
Shop bought chocolates last till the expiration date as mentioned on its label, but homemade chocolates should be eaten within a week if they are kept in the fridge, or two to three days if stored outside. Since you will not be using any preservatives, your chocolates will spoil if left for a longer period.
So if you want to know how to store this divine and sweet temptation, check out these easy tips on how to store chocolate.
So How Do I Make A Milk Bar
It starts with a quarter sheet pan. Thats right, this cake, just like my Raspberry Ripple Cake, is not made using regular round cake pans. Instead we use a sheet pan to make one large cake. Then we use a six inch cake ring to cut out three layers. It makes baking and layering the cake quick and easy.
We then use a sheet of acetate to line the inside of the cake ring. This will allow us to build the cake inside the cake ring, going nice and tall, and keeping all your frosting and fillings inside. The cake then goes into the fridge until you are ready to unwrap and present your masterpiece.
Also Check: Wedding Cake Pool Stairs For Sale
Shop The Seasonal Gift Shop
If you want to keep it festive, the seasonal gift shop is filled with sweets curated for different holidays and events.
For the holidays, The Pumpkin Milk Bar Pie is a unique twist on a traditional favorite.
For other occasions like birthdays, The Ultimate Birthday is a set that include a classic Milk Bar Pie, a 6-inch Birthday Cake, a dozen B’Day Truffles, and six assorted cookies. If you want to send something a little smaller, you can order a dozen B’Day Truffles .
Day : Make The Chocolate Crumbs
However, note that the chocolate crumbs can be refrigerated for up to 1 month, and frozen for much longer.
To make the chocolate crumbs, youll need to do the following:
Recommended Reading: Dairy Free Nothing Bundt Cakes
Wait How Do I Get Three Cake Layers
One thing we learnt at Milk Bar is that when you are creating a cake like this, not every layer has to be perfect. In fact, the bottom layer is typically made from two half moons cut from the leftover cake, so youll get two perfect rounds and one youll have to piece together. But dont worry, no one will know! See below diagram.
Ingredients Needed To Make The Momofuku Milk Bar Cake
Not gonna lie. There are also some specialty ingredients in this cake as well. I thought about taking some shortcuts, but I decided to go for it and see what the fuss is all about. Glad I did.
- Sugars The crumbs use both brown sugar and granulated white sugar.
- Cake Flour A little low protein flour to help bind the crumble together
- Baking Powder To help give the cake crumbs so lift so they arent dense.
- Salt I used table salt so I used less than called for since the original recipe used kosher salt. Kosher salt is bigger in granules so you need more.
- Rainbow Sprinkles Of course, sprinkles. Because hello ultimate funfetti cake is what we are going for here.
- Grapeseed oil
- Clear vanilla extract this is what Christine recommends using because it gives it that classic boxed mix taste.
- Milk I used whole milk, but I think a lower fat milk would be fine. Its used to soak the cake layers to help keep them moist.
- Vanilla A little more flavor here. Nothing wrong with that. Really drives home the vanilla cake flavor.
You May Like: Wedding Cake Steps For A Pool
What To Actually Try At The Milk Bar Flagship
Cereal Milk: Best sampled either as cool soft serve or as actual sweet-salty milk the latter is off-menu but available.
Peppermint snaps: A chocolate wafer layered with caramel and pretzels, dipped in white chocolate peppermint bark each flavor comes through clearly without devolving into heavy sweetness .
Birthday cake or corn truffles: Small snacky bites flavored like vanilla cake or vegetal corn and caramel. Eat them cold .
Apple pie soft serve : The texture is a bit thin, but it packs a wallop of cider flavor .
Cerealsies: Try the spicy cinnamon-sugar spheres or the Andes-like mint variety . Avoid the birthday flavor.
Milk Bar pie: A riff on chess pie that tames buttery, sugary goodness with an oat crust .
Strawberry corn Milkquake: A slightly soupy mix of Cereal Milk soft serve with fragrant pickled strawberries and salty cake bites .
Chocolate cookies: Underbaked , but with enough chocolate and salt to counterbalance the sugars .
Anyone whos ever encountered a bagel bite at a coffee chain, Fruit Loop-flavored ice cream at a grocery store, or unironic funfetti desserts can send Tosi a thank-you note. Milk Bars influence is nothing less than immense.
Clockwise from top left: A large cookie cake with pretzels, a racks of exposed cakes, and bagel bombs
What Is The Momofuku Birthday Cake
A funfetti cake thats light and fluffy. With sprinkles abound. Soaked in a vanilla milk. Slathered in a creamy dreamy vanilla buttercream frosting. And the best part
Cake crumbs. Dont worry we will get to the crunchy cake crumbs. And it all comes together into one blissful bite that I am still dreaming about. I actually made this cake months ago for my amazing Fiances birthday. He is a funfetti fiend and loves a good boxed mix. I wont judge. I still love him. But I wanted to make him one from scratch.
The cake is a bit different for a few reasons:
And this cake promised that it tastes just like those boxed funfetti mixes we all hate to love. It delivers. On so many levels. And then some. In fact, it blows a boxed cake mix out of the water. Yes I will be making this cake again.
Is it time consuming? Heck yes. Is it worth it? Every calorie laden, drool worthy bite.
Don’t Miss: Wedding Cake Steps For A Pool
Faq: Milk Bar Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe Troubleshooting
Help! My passion fruit curd came out pretty thick and solid after chilling it. Is this normal?
Truthfully, I was a little surprised by the texture of this recipes passion fruit curd. It was less creamy, and instead far more solid than the curds Ive made in the past. And when I spread it while assembling the cake, it was a little like spreading jelly!
But dont worry. If the texture of your curd sounds similar to mine, rest assured that youve done nothing wrong. It works in the cake, I promise!
Help! My coffee frosting looks REALLY weird. Its still pretty solid and will just NOT come together. Ive been mixing for at least 10 minutes now. What did I do wrong?
Before updating this post, I spent a lot of time reading other bloggers takes on the recipe on the internet. And it seems like we all came to the same conclusion, independently: Christina Tosis coffee buttercream for this cake is a hot mess.
Why? The recipe has a really odd amount of sugar, fat, and liquid. Specificallytheres too much fat, and not enough sugar and liquid to beat the frosting into the more traditional American buttercream frosting that youre likely used to.
Personally, I probably would have gone back to the drawing board with this coffee buttercream recipe and developed one that was less finnicky. But if you want the true Milk Bar experience, follow the recipe as instructed. It worksit just takes a long time to do so.
Special Ingredients You Need
There are a handful of ingredients that you may/may not be familiar with:
- Vegetable shortening. Shortening is mixed together with the butter to make the birthday cake and frosting white, not too yellow.
- Clear vanilla extract. Milk Bar uses McCormick vanilla extract in the birthday cake, crumbs, and frosting. The taste of imitation vanilla recreates the classic flavor of the cake box mix. Clear vanilla extract also helps the cake components white in color.
- Grapeseed oil. Grapeseed oil is low in saturated fat and has a light color and flavor that wont conflict with the other flavors in your cake.
- Glucose. Liquid glucose, often referred to as glucose syrup, is a liquid form of simple sugar. Glucose is added to birthday cake frosting. It keeps the frosting soft and moist. You can substitute glucose with corn syrup, but the frosting will be sweeter.
- Corn syrup. The corn syrup adds moisture to help dissolve the sugar. It also makes the frosting more glossy and luscious. You can substitute half the amount of corn syrup for glucose by volume.
- Citric acid. Citric acid is a weak, organic acid naturally found in citrus fruits. It is most often used as a natural preservative or to add an acidic or sour taste to food and baked products. If you cant find any, you can also substitute citric acid for a little amount of lemon juice.
Also Check: Wedding Cake Above Ground Pool Stairs
Special Tools And Equipment
You will also need to gather these tools and equipment to make this cake:
- 1 quarter sheet pan. The most important note when it comes to this birthday cake is that you are not going to bake three 6-inch cakes. Instead, you will bake one large sheet cake. Then, you will stamp the 2 cake rounds with a cake ring. For the third cake layer, you will need to put together the remaining off-cuts from the sheet cake.
- 1 6-inch/15 cm cake ring. A cake ring is used to stamp out the birthday cake. Then, the stamped cake rounds are stacked in the same cake ring lined with an acetate cake collar.
- 2 strips 3-inch/7.5 cm cake acetate. Cake acetate is a type of sturdy plastic that comes in sheets or rolls. It is used to line the inside of the cake ring. They will serve as a protective wrap for naked cakes.
- Pastry brush. Use a pastry brush to lightly brush the cake soak into each layer of cake.
- Bent spoon or small ladle spoon. In many Christina Tosi videos, she uses a bent spoon to spread the frosting. I found using a small ladle spoon works as well.
One: Make The Cake Crumbs
These are surpringly easy and can be made up to a week ahead of time. Just dont snack on them all week before you get to the cake assembly! Trust me it will take willpower.
Start by combining the dry ingredients- sugars, flour, baking powder, salt, and sprinkles
Then add the oil and vanilla. The mixture will become moist and crumbly.
Then spread the mixture onto a baking sheet. I lined mine with parchment paper, but you could use a silicone baking mat. You want to break up the crumbs with your hands.
Once during baking, and then once they cool you want to break up the crumbs a bit. The crumbs will still be soft when you take them out of the oven but will crisp up as they cool.
The cake crumbs can be stored up to a week ahead of time at room temperature in a container or frozen up to a month.
Also Check: Gluten Free Nothing Bundt Cake
Milk Bar Expands Grocery Store Line To Target
The fast-growing dessert empire of Milk Bar is set to continue its rise with the launch of grocery store treats at all Target locations nationwide.
Following an initial launch at Whole Foods in April 2020 with packs of fan-favorite cookies, Milk Bar will begin its Target run with brand new Truffle Crumb Cakes inspired by Milk Bars signature bakery Cake Truffles and classic supermarket desserts available in the refrigerated section.
Truffle Crumb Cakes will also be joined by the soft baked cookies, inspired by the bakerys signature mix-ins and names. Additional cookie flavors will debut in the coming months.
Truffle Crumb Cake flavors include:
- Birthday Made with rainbow-flecked vanilla birthday cake and coated in a layer of icing, sprinkles and crunchy birthday crumbs
- Chocolate Birthday Rich and fudgy cocoa-packed chocolate birthday cake, coated in a layer of icing, sprinkles and crunchy chocolate birthday crumbs
- Chocolate Chip Deep vanilla chocolate chip cake and coated in a layer of icing, sprinkles and crunchy yellow cake crumbs
Cookie flavors include:
- Confetti A buttery, vanilla-infused confection with a burst of colorful sprinkles.
- Compost A cookie featuring pretzels, potato chips, coffee, oats, graham crackers, chocolate chips and butterscotch
- Cornflake Chocolate Chip Marshmallow A chewy chocolate chip cookie featuring crunchy caramelized cornflakes and gooey marshmallows
Follow The Expiration Dates But Not Too Closely
Dont take the best by dates of chocolates too seriously. You can consume chocolate bars even after a few months past their best by date. Chocolate manufacturers just follow industry standards and give an arbitrary date. Since food requires moisture for it to get spoiled, chocolates are comparatively safer than other alternatives because they contain very little of it. So it doesnt necessarily make anyone get sick if its a bit old. Even milk chocolate is edible after its past date because milk solids are made with very little moisture. However, trust your gut instinct or if your taste buds tell you otherwise, just get rid of it.
You May Like: Tilt And Turn Cake Turntable
Day : Make The Passion Fruit Curd
However, note that the passion fruit curd can be refrigerated for up to 1 week! Unfortunately, it cannot be frozen as it tends to separate when thawed, ruining the curds texture.
To make the passion fruit curd, youll need to do the following: