To Make The Chocolate Ganache
Heat 1 cup heavy cream until steaming but not boiling!
While cream is heating, rough chop 2 cups Hersheys Kisses. Add to a heat-safe mixing bowl.
When cream is hot, pour into the mixing bowl with chocolate pieces. Whisk until smooth and shiny.
You can add more chocolate for thicker ganache or more cream for a thinner consistency, depending on your preference.
Pour over cake as much or as little as youd like. We used it all! Can you ever have too much chocolate?
This amazing holiday dessert will really wow your guests! It would also be perfect for Valentines Day , or even just for a Tuesday night chocolate craving!
What The Heck Is Devils Food Cake
I absolutely love knowing the history behind recipes and their names, so naturally I had to investigate the origins of Devils Food Cake and share with you!
So heres the deal: Devils Food Cake rose in popularity in the 1900s. A time when it was very normal to give desserts dramatic names! Many believe the name was inspired by the cakes slightly red hue and sinfully decadent nature. Although its certainly a lot less devilishly red than red velvet cake! Its more an orangey red from the cocoa powder.
One of the few solid facts available is that in 1902, the recipe was published for the first time in an American cookbook called Mrs. Rorers New Cookbook. The recipe was developed by Sarah Tyson Rorers and it quickly spread across the country, becoming staple dessert in many households.
And the rest, as they say, is history!
Tips For Frosting A Layer Cake
- Start the process even before baking by making each layer the same height. You can do this by weighing the batter in the pans or checking the depth of the batter with a ruler or even a toothpick.
- Make sure you have enough frosting. This recipe for frosting adds a thin coating between the layers. If you keep this as a two-layer cake, the frosting will be thicker.
- Real Simple suggests putting a dab of frosting on the cake stand to secure the bottom layer.
- Next tuck strips of parchment or wax paper under the perimeter of the cake. This will help keep the cake stand or plate clean.
- Start with the first layer, flat side down. Eyeball the frosting and add just enough to make a relatively thin layer across the surface to the edges. Use an offset spatula to spread.
- Repeat with the remaining layers, saving enough to frost the sides. Use your offset spatula or even a bench scraper to smooth or make a textured pattern with the frosting.
Recommended Reading: Sam Club Wedding Cakes Prices
Delightful Devils Food Cake Recipes
DEVIL’S FOOD CUPCAKES
We mixed sour cream into the batter to add moistness and a subtle tang. Silky smooth ganache makes a rich topping other options include seven-minute frosting and cream-cheese frosting. The chocolate curls are easily made with a few strokes of a vegetable peeler.
Recipe From marthastewart.com
Number Of Ingredients 13
DELIGHTFUL DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE
There’s more than chocolate in this luscious layer cake. The creamy ricotta cheese frosting is flavored with orange juice, mini chocolate chips and bits of candied cherries. -Betty Knorr, Chandler, Arizona
Recipe From tasteofhome.com
Number Of Ingredients 21
DEVIL’S FOOD CHEESECAKE
From Junior’s Cheesecake Cookbook, chocolate cheesecake nirvana! A labor of love to be sure, this is my favorite way to spoil both myself and the ones I love. Note: The cookbook states that the cream cheese MUST be full-fat.
Recipe From food.com
Chocolate devils food cake from scratch with a rich chocolate frosting.
Recipe From allrecipes.com
This is the best devil’s food cake you will ever eat, but with a twist!
Recipe From allrecipes.com
DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE WITH BROWN SUGAR BUTTERCREAM
Recipe From epicurious.com
Use Butter For Flavor And Oil For Lightness And Moisture
Oil is wonderful in cakes. When compared to butter, cakes baked with oil are loftier, have a more even crumb and stay moist and fresh tasting much longer. Case in point – Olive Oil Cake is moist, flavorful, tender and delicious, and keeps that fresh-from-the-oven texture for days after baking. The same is true for my favorite Spice Cake and Carrot Cake recipes, both of which are oil based cakes and decadently moist and flavorful.
Oil is particularly great in chocolate cakes because chocolate tends to dry out a cake. And this cake has a LOT of chocolate.
So, why doesn’t this recipe use ALL oil instead of a combination of butter and oil?Flavor. Butter adds flavor. For this recipe, I found that 5 tablespoons of butter and 5 tablespoons of oil was the perfect balance for maximum buttery flavor AND a moist, tender crumb.
You May Like: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
More About Hersheys Syrup Chocolate Cake Recipes
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE SYRUP CAKE | THE KITCHEN IS MY
FromServingsEstimated Reading TimeCategoryTotal Time
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE SYRUP CAKE – MY RECIPE MAGIC
10 BEST HERSHEY CHOCOLATE SYRUP CAKE RECIPES | YUMMLY
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE CAKE – JUST LIKE GRANDMA’S! – BAREFEET …
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bundt pan and lightly flour it with a couple tablespoons of cocoa powder. 9″ round pans or prepare cupcake liners.)
- Stir together the sugar, flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and beat with a mixer on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the boiling water and continue stirring to combine. The batter should be very thin and watery. Pour into prepared bundt pan or divide between two round pans or cupcake holders.
- Bake the bundt cake for 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 9″ rounds will bake in 30-35 minutes and cupcakes will bake in 22-24 minutes. Cool completely.
7 CLASSIC HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPES FROM THE ’70S …
FromEstimated Reading Time
HERSHEY’S SYRUP ONE-BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKE | RECIPES
HERSHEY’S & QUOT PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE& QUOT CHOCOLATE CAKE | RECIPES
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE SYRUP CAKE – HOSTESS AT HEART
HERSHEY’S CHOCOLATE SYRUP POUND CAKE – RECIPE | COOKS.COM
Hersheys Collectors Cake Recipe
3/4 cup butter or margarine1-3/4 cups sugar2 cups unsifted all-purpose flour3/4 cup Hersheys Cocoa1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda1/2 teaspoon salt1-1/3 cups water
Cream butter and sugar in large mixer bowl. Add eggs and vanilla beat 1 minute at medium speed. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt add alternately with water to creamed mixture.
Pour batter into two greased and floured 8-inch or 9-inch layer pans. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes for 8-inch layers, 30 to 35 minutes for 9-inch layers or until cake tester comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes remove from pans. Cool completely frost.
Recommended Reading: Bath And Body Works Strawberry Pound Cake Lotion
Baking And Recipe Methodology
All 12 recipes were made the day of, except for the Food & Wine recipe, which expressly stated it was best made the day before. We had 31 tasters, who ranked each cake on a scale from 1-10 for flavor, and 1-10 for texture. All cakes were baked in 8Fat Daddio anodized aluminum cake pans. Each cake was tasted plain, with optional frosting on the side. I used Sallys chocolate buttercream , and everyone loved this frostinghighly recommend.
Hersheys Disappearing Chocolate Cake Aka Hersheys Prize Chocolate Cake
3/4 cup Hersheys Cocoa1-3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour3/4 teaspoon baking powder1/8 teaspoon salt1-3/4 cups milk
Generously grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans. Cream butter, shortening, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy blend in eggs.
Combine baking soda, cocoa, flour, baking powder and salt in bowl add alternately with milk to batter. Blend well.
Pour into prepared pans bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes remove from pans.
And use cocoa in your favorite frosting recipe, too!
Recommended Reading: Wilton 1/2 Sheet Cake Pan
Extreme Chocolate Cake Recipe
Hershey’s Chocolate Company is known for its sinfully deep dark and flavorful chocolate cakes, from which this recipe is adapted from. This one is especially moist with the addition of vegetable oil. You can optionally dissolve 1 or teaspoons instant espresso powder in the boiling water, if desired, for a more vibrant chocolate-espresso flavor.
10 · 55 minutes · Hershey’s Chocolate Cake – moist with the silkiest milk chocolate frosting ever! I’ve made many chocolate cake recipes but always come back to this recipe every time. I’ve made many chocolate cake recipes but always come back to this recipe every time.
Instructions. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans or a 9×13 pan. In large bowl mix sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water. Pour batter into prepared pans.Batter will be very thin.
BASIC RECIPE: Break chocolate bar into pieces place in blender container. Add syrup and milk. Cover blend until smooth. Add ice cream cover and blend until smooth and thick. Serve immediately. Makes 1 serving. EXTREME VERSION: 1. About 1 hour ahead or several days ahead make CHOCOLATE CANDY LOLLIPOPS , if desired.
More About Delightful Devils Food Cake Recipes
13 SINFUL DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE RECIPES THAT ARE WORTH THE GUILT
DEVIL’S FOOD CAKE – WIKIPEDIA
10 BEST DEVILS FOOD CAKE DUNCAN HINES CAKE MIX RECIPES …
10 BEST DEVIL FOOD CAKE MIX COOKIES RECIPES | YUMMLY
DEVIL’S DELIGHT CAKE RECIPE – FOOD.COM
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, oil, and water. Beat on low just until blended. Increase speed to medium beat 2 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until toothpick comes out clean: 35 minutes for 9×13, 45 minutes for Bundt pan, 15 minutes for cupcakes, 30 minutes for 2×9″ round pans.
19 UNEXPECTED CAKE MIX RECIPES – COSMOPOLITAN
CHOCOLATE DEVILS FOOD CAKE RECIPE | BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease the bases and sides of two 20cm round tins with cooking oil spray. Line the bases with baking paper.
- Put butter and caster sugar in a large bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour, baking powder and bicarb over mixture, then pour in the cocoa mixture. Stir gently to combine. Divide mixture between the two tins. Bake for 25 30 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- To make ganache icing, put the thickened cream into a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate.
- Put one of the cakes onto a chopping board. Use a large serrated knife to remove the domed top part of the cake and discard. Put the cake, cut side down, on a cake stand.
Also Check: Sam’s Club Bakery Wedding Cakes
Hersheys Devils Food Cake
3/4 cup butter or margarine, softened1-1/2 cups sugar1-3/4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour1/2 cup Hersheys Cocoa1 teaspoon baking soda1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk*1/2 cup boiling waterFluffy Vanilla Frosting
Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in large mixer bowl. Add eggs beat well. Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt add alternately with buttermilk to creamed mixture. Add boiling water beat until smooth.
Pour batter into wax paper-lined 13x9x2-inch pan. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes remove from pan and remove paper. Cool completely frost with Fluffy Vanilla Frosting. Store extra frosting, covered, in refrigerator for later use.
* To sour milk: Use 1 tablespoon vinegar plus milk to equal 1 cup. Have milk at room temperature before combining with the amount of vinegar indicated in the recipe. Let mixture stand several minutes before using.
Easy Chocolate Bundt Cake Made With Hersheys Kisses
I realized a while back that even though I am a notorious chocolate-lover, my blog didnt have any legit all-chocolate recipes.
You know, the kind of chocolate dessert that you dream about. The kind that makes you want to eat as slowly as possible to savor every bite. Every. Single. Bite.
I mentioned this glaring lack of chocolate to my husband and he immediately suggested a recipe for chocolate cake, filled to the brim with big ol Hersheys Kisses and finished with a creamy chocolate ganache.
Let me tell you, the real thing was every bit as amazing as it sounds. I took tons of picturesand did plenty of taste-testing!
Youve got to try this one!!
Related: For another fun candy-bar inspired cake, try our Twix Pound Cake!
Don’t Miss: Ben And Jerry’s Ice Cream Cake Review
Two Whole Eggs And Four Egg Yolks
Eggs create essential structure and stability in cakes. Egg whites are fantastic at trapping air, which helps cakes rise in the oven, giving them a light texture. Yolks are fantastic at binding liquids and fats together, creating an emulsion that results in a super smooth homogenous batter. Yolks also have a high fat content, contributing to this cake’s rich flavor and velvety texture.
In this Devil’s Food Cake Recipe, the combination of a total of 6 egg yolks and 2 egg whites achieves the perfect balance of a rich, fudgy consistency that isn’t overly dense.
Hershey Kiss Cake Ingredients
For your convenience, Ive included shop-able ad links to some of the products used to make this easy chocolate bundt cake. Our disclosure policy is available here.
- Betty Crocker Super Moist Devils Food Cake Mix You can use any chocolate cake mix, but this is one of our favorites.
- Hersheys Kisses We bought the party bag so there would be more than enough for the recipe. Youll need at least 3 cups of Kisses.
- Vegetable oil or softened butter
- Heavy cream
Tip: We used Betty Crocker cake mix and Hersheys® Kisses, so you know this recipe is both easy AND delicious!
You May Like: Wedding Cake Pool Stairs For Sale
Results: Top Chocolate Cake Rankings
Tasting cake plain is of course very different than eating a frosted cake. There was a lot of feedback that most of the cakes were a little drier and less chocolatey than expected, but I think this is due to the fact that these cakes are designed to be paired with a frosting that will add moisture and additional chocolate flavor. As always, I think pretty much all of these cakes would be excellent as standalone cakes, and when frosted I doubt anyone will complain.
If youd like to check out all the recipes I scraped off the interwebs, check out the Recipes tab of this spreadsheet. You might find that your favorite recipe is pretty similar to one that was tested!
Here are the results!
Ina was the most popular recipe nominee going into this tasting, so its exciting to see she held her own. At first, I was disappointed that Hersheys took second place, but as my data viz consultant Skyler pointed out, Hersheys has a commercial army of recipe developers, so why SHOULDNT they develop an excellent cake recipe to beat the rest? Its also nearly identical to Inas, so it was gratifying to see tasters give a consistent rating .
Liquid: Looking at the recipe composition for Ina and Hersheys, its interesting to note that these recipes had by far the highest percentage of liquid. Intuitively, the moister cakes tended to have higher liquid percentages while some of the drier cakes had a smaller proportion of liquid.