How To Make Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
First, youll need to beat together the butter and the sugar for several minutes until light and fluffy. Do not skip this step this is what ensures that the cake turns out soft. Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time, followed by the remaining wet ingredients.
Stir the sour cream and dry ingredients into the butter mixture, alternating between the two so that everything is incorporated evenly. Turn the batter into a 10-cup bundt pan thats been greased and floured.
Bake the lemon poppy seed cake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Once the cake has cooled completely, top with lemon glaze.
Yellow Cake Mix Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
Spring is coming! Spring is coming! If I say it enough times, maybe it will be true. This Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Cake recipe is lemon perfection. Plus, its quick as a bunny to mix up! Ill be making this for Easter this year. Its the perfect centerpiece and a total hit!
Hints of Spring make me crave those lemons
As soon as we have a warm day here in Denver, Im immediately craving light, citrusy recipes. Never mind that theres snow in the forecast for the next week. Today is warm and Im soaking it all in with my favorite Lemon Poppy Seed Cake recipe. This originally came from my mom and I didnt change a thing. Its so easy to throw together and so incredibly delicious.
Tunnel Of Curd Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
This idea was inspired by the Tunnel of Fudge cake that made the bundt pans famous. Id love to tell you you can do this as I did with the cheesecake, but I tried it and the curd overheated in the oven, curdled and I wasnt be able to get the cake out in one piece. Instead, once the cake is baked, slice it in half horizontally and use a spoon to dig out a ring of cake in the bottom half. Pour the curd into the ring and put the top half over it.
Also Check: Sams Club Birthday Cake Catalog
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
This lemon poppy seed cake is laced with fresh lemon zest, filled to the brim with nutty, crackly poppy seeds, and drizzled with a bright lemon glaze. Its the perfect company cake.
A variation of my lemon buttermilk pound cake, this lemon poppy seed cake is laced with fresh lemon zest, filled to the brim with nutty, crackly poppy seeds, and drizzled with a bright lemon glaze. The texture is just what you hope for in a homemade cake moist and melt-in-your-mouth tender and the cake keeps well for days. My grandmother would have called it a company cake since its the perfect treat to have on hand when friends and family come over.
The cake can be made in a Bundt pan or two 8½ x 4½-inch loaf pans. Before deciding which pans to use, please see the important notes at the bottom of the recipe. The cake keeps well for days on the countertop, and it freezes well, too.
Tips For Making The Best Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake
Here are a couple tips that can aid you in making the perfect lemon poppyseed bundt cake.
- Dont over mix your batter.
- I recommend against using a silicone mold, Ive never been successful with them and always have a hard time getting my bundt cake out of it. Use nonstick metal pans if possible, they conduct heat well.
- Make sure your bundt pan is properly sprayed with cooking spray, baking spray or greased with butter. Even if its a nonstick bundt pan, it doesnt hurt to grease the pan. You might even want to use a pastry brush to grease the pan, it makes it a lot easier.
- A good bundt cake recipe should only fill about 2/3 of the pan. Any more and youll end up with rounded tops, which might not be a bad thing, but your bundt cake wont sit flat on the serving platter.
- Give your cake sufficient time to cool before getting it out of the pan. Keep in mind that as the cake cools, it will slowly release itself from the sides of the pan, so resist the urge to pull it out immediately. Wait a good 10 minutes before trying to get it out of the pan. Flip it over onto your cake platter, and let it sit like that, it will slowly start to pull away from the pan and down onto the platter. Patience is key.
Read Also: Does Sam’s Club Make Custom Cakes
Sign Up For Our Free 7 Day Simple Meal Plan
starting with a box mix for the win!
Making cakes that start with a box mix is my new favorite. It gives you a great, flavorful base to start with, and is easy to increase the wow factor! Most importantly, it saves us all some time, right? Desserts that come together quickly can make entertaining more fun and relaxing. Plus, this Lemon Poppy Seed Cake is pretty enough to be a centerpiece for Easter or any Spring or Summer gathering!
More Cake Mix Cakes that take the Cake!
Here are a few more recipes that start with a box cake and become something that really stand out!Yellow Cake Mix Coffee Cake
Can I make this cake Gluten Free?
Im so glad you asked! Yes, you can! We love the King Arthur Flour Yellow Cake Mix, which we use in the Gluten Free Vegan Pineapple Upside Down Cake recipe. The texture and rise are great! Most people cannot tell its gluten free.
Why Bundt Cakes are awesome
I love Bundt cakes for a few simple reasons. First, the shape is beautiful. It makes a simple cake look fancy and unique. Second, they typically come with that soft, dripping frosting down the sides, and its my favorite. Mostly because I often find buttercream and cream cheese frosting to be a bit overwhelming for me. Last, It bakes up more evenly than a traditional two or three-tiered round cake. No troublesome dipping in the center, or difficulty removing and stacking.
To make this lemon poppy seed cake, simply
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Liberally grease and flour a bundt pan. Set aside.
Looking For More Easy Cake Recipes
Check out some more of my favourite recipes for cake:
This Spiced chai pumpkin bundt cake features a tender, spiced chai pound cake smothered in an irresistibly buttery chai glaze.
Castagnaccio is a traditional rustic Tuscan chestnut flour cake that is usually served in the fall and winter months following the annual chestnut harvest. This cake has a deep, rich, earthy flavour that is quite unlike typical cakes and desserts found elsewhere.
Also Check: Above Ground Pool Wedding Cake Pool Steps
How To Make A Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake:
Lemon Syrup Soaked Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
This version will give you the most puckery lemony cake, especially on the edges and exterior of the cake. Simply cook together ½ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice and ½ cup granulated sugar until the sugar dissolves. When the cake comes out of the oven, poke it with a toothpick or cake tester and pour the hot syrup over the cake. Let it absorb into the cake before you remove the cake from the pan.
Don’t Miss: Sams Club Birthday Cake Book
What Makes This Recipe Special:
- Flavor: for starters, it is just freaking delicious! The lemon flavor comes from three different places – batter, syrup, and glaze.
- Simple recipe: it’s a pretty straightforward butter cake. So follow the recipe and pay attention to the details, as most baking recipes are.
- Lemon syrup: the butter and sugar have to be creamed enough to become light and airy, the dry ingredients sifted and the cake bathed in a sugar-lemon juice mix just as it comes out of the oven. That final touch adds a lot of moisture to the tight crumb. And sets it apart from other lemon cakes.
- Flavors: I have made it with orange, a mix of citrus, tangerine, in a bundt pan, as a sheet cake, as a loaf cake. It always turned out amazing!
- Versatile: you can use different pans, like a sheet pan or loaf pans.
What Ingredients Are In Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake
This recipe has your typical cake ingredients flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter, eggs. I used a full half cup of lemon zest in place of lemon juice. Trust me here! The zest adds a world of bright flavor without adding any extra liquid. It took me two big lemons to get a 1/2 cup of zest, but it may take more or less for you depending on the size of your lemons. I also used buttermilk to create a nice fluffy, moist cake.
Lets talk about lemons! Regular lemons from the store will taste incredible, but if you happen to find some Meyer lemons then scoop them up and never look back. They are a hybrid between an orange and a lemon. The flavor is just unbeatable! You can thank me later.
We cant forget about those poppyseeds! Hemp seeds, flax seeds, and chia seeds are great nutty substitutes for this cake if you need. You can leave this ingredient out as well, the cake will still taste amazing.
The glaze is nice and simple. Powdered sugar, vanilla, fresh lemon juice, and a touch of milk are all you need to make this awesome glaze. You can always adjust the amount of milk called for to create your perfect consistency!
Also Check: Sams Club Tier Cake
How To Tell When My Cake Is Done Baking
Every oven is different, and what works perfectly for me might not be the case for you. Have no fear, toothpicks are here! Use a clean toothpick and poke as deep as you can into the thickest part of the cake. If it comes out clean, then your cake is all done. If theres some batter stuck to it, add 5-10 extra minutes until the cake is fully baked.
Tips For Baking The Perfect Bundt Cake:
- Grease the pan thoroughly. Use butter or shortening to coat the entire surface inside the pan. Make sure you get in every crevice or cranny. Then sprinkle flour in the pan and tap and rotate the pan until there is a thin layer all over. Flip the pan over and tap out the excess flour. An easier method is to use a nonstick baking spray. Be sure to spray a generous coating all over the inside.
- Fill the pan. Too little batter will result in a thin cake, but too much batter will result in a mess. A good rule of thumb is to fill the pan â full. PRO TIP: Fill your pan with water, counting the cups as you go to see what size pan you have.
- Do not open the oven door until it is time to check for doneness. The loss of heat can result in the cake falling if it is not finished baking.
- Cool the cake in the pan for a short time. Most cakes need 10-15 minutes in the pan to cool and release from the sides of the pan. If you allow the cake to cool completely in the pan, the cake can potentially stick to the pan and not fall out in one piece. Tap the pan gently on the counter, then place a plate on top of the cake. Slowly flip the cake over and shake gently until you feel the cake fall out. Lift off the pan and let it cool.
Recommended Reading: How Many Weight Watchers Points Is A Nothing Bundt Cake
How To Store And Freeze Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Let the glaze harden before slicing. The cake will keep nicely for 3 days if kept covered on the countertop. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. After it is completely cooled, double-wrap it securely with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place it in heavy-duty freezer bag. Thaw overnight on the countertop before serving.
How To Store Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake
One question I get asked often is Do I need to refrigerate bundt cakes?. My answer is no, you dont. All you need is a covered cake plate and the bundt cake will keep quite well at room temperature. Besides, refrigerating a bundt cake might dry it out, plus the cold can dull the flavor. So if you have a covered cake plate, your cake will keep just fine for several days.
If you dont have a covered cake plate, use a bowl, such as the bowl from your salad spinner to cover the cake.
Read Also: Wilton Cake Cutting Guide
Rest Of The Ingredients
The eggs are added one at a time because it helps the batter incorporate better. It might look curdled at some point but it will be smooth enough in the end when the dry ingredients are added.
Dry ingredients: also known as the flour mixture they are added after all the wet ingredients are mixed. Make sure they are sifted so they are more easily incorporated into the final batter. I have them measured and sift them directly over the butter part, but you can use a medium bowl to sift them separately if that makes it easier.
How To Freeze Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake
You can absolutely freeze this bundt cake, however I would freeze it without the icing and simply drizzle it with icing when serving.
Let the bundt cake cool completely. Cut the bundt cake in individual slices, then wrap each one in plastic wrap then place them in a freezer bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
DID YOU LOVE THIS LEMON CAKE? TRY THESE!
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Nutrition Facts
Almond Extract Makes A Difference
The almond extract adds a wonderfully warm, buttery, and slightly nutty flavor to this cake that perfectly complements the lemon and poppy seeds. Cooks Illustrated recommends Nielsen-Massey pure almond extract and McCormick imitation extract, stating that the difference between the pure and imitation was barely distinguishable. The former is more bold and assertive, while the latter mellows a bit more during baking.