To Use Butter And Other Oils:
I have tested the chocolate cake recipe with additional oils, as well as butter. Ive tested using an equal amount of melted coconut oil to the vegetable oil called for in the recipe. Ive also tested using the same volume of melted butter in place of the oils in the chocolate cake. While it does make the cake texture slightly different, it is still delicious and worth trying if youd prefer to use butter in place of oils in your chocolate cake.
Whew! See what I mean! This is the chocolate cake of everyones dreams, I think!
Do let me know how you like it.
Here are a few additional ways I like to make this cake!
If you are looking for cupcakes from this recipe, Ive shared my recipe for the best chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. This recipe makes a perfect dozen so that you can scale the recipe to make as many chocolate cupcakes as you need! Talk about easy!
I love this version! It is a delicious, scaled-down version that is just the thing for potlucks, reunions, tailgates, and travels perfectly! Ive also scaled-down the frosting so that has the frosting to cake ratio that my family prefers. It is a definite winner!
Scaled for a crowd, this recipe bakes beautifully in a rimmed baking sheet and is perfect for all sorts of get-togethers. Think of it as the 9×13s big brother! This recipe features Fudge Icing, but you can definitely substitute the icing for whatever you fancy!
Baking Tips For This Chocolate Cake Recipe:
I like to use the convenient Evenbake Cake Strips when I do a layered cake to be sure the layers bake up evenly and flat. I totally want to try this recipe for a special occasion as a double-layered chocolate cake with the chocolate buttercream frosting and maybe some mini chocolate chips pressed into the sides. Yum!
The Best Vanilla Cake Recipe
Dessert 45 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is the Best Vanilla Cake Recipe Ive ever tasted! So delicious, its quick and easy to make! Made from scratch, this cake is perfect for every occasion!
If you have been looking for a fluffy, moist and delicious not to mention quick and easy vanilla cake, here it isThe Best Vanilla Cake Recipe! Its the recipe that many of you requested by emailing, commenting, and messaging me for some time. As promised, here is the recipe that I think is the very best vanilla cake Ive ever tasted!
And topped with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting? Oh my word! It is perfection!
Also Check: First Birthday Cake Smash Outfit Boy
How To Make Chocolate Ganache Frosting
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever
It was great to hear that they thought the cake was just as good after their last bite as they thought it was with their first.
Heres another great thing about this recipe. The cake batter really can be made in a bowl without the use of a heavy duty mixer. Of course, that just makes things easier, but this is easily a recipe my Grandmother would have enjoyed making in her tiny kitchen with a whisk and a bowl. And Im sure it would have turned out perfectly, too.
Im not going to kid you, this makes a very rich, moist chocolate cake recipe. So if you are a faint of heart chocolate cake person, this is not the cake for you.
Based on the Old Fashioned Hersheys recipe, I sort of went a bit heavy-handed with some changes testing cake after cake until I got it just the way I wanted it, but the end result was oh so worth it. The crumbs left on the plate gave that away.
Recommended Reading: Handrails For Wedding Cake Pool Steps
How To Make Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
To make this delicious frosting, youll need a large mixing bowl or a large bowl for a stand mixer.
Thankfully, this chocolate buttercream comes together quickly and makes plenty to frost a three layer cake or three dozen cupcakes beautifully.
The Most Decadent Chocolate Cake Recipe
Posted by Erika | Nov 1, 2021
Chocoholics rejoice! Rich in cocoa flavor with a fluffy and moist crumb, this is the only chocolate cake recipe youll ever need. With a few ingredients and these helpful tips and tricks, youll be able to make the perfect chocolate cake! Pair this cake with our homemade mocha or chocolate buttercream for a dessert thats sure to please.
Read Also: Stop And Shop Sheet Cake Prices
Faqs About How To Make Chocolate Cake From Scratch
Here are my answers to some commonly asked questions about making this homemade chocolate cake recipe.
Can you double this recipe?
Yes! This recipe is easily doubled and baked in two, 9″ round cake pans. This is a great option if you will be making the cake for a large crowd. When I make this recipe as written for my family of 7, everyone usually eats three servings before the cake is gone.
How do you make a moist chocolate cake?
This recipe yields the best, moist chocolate cake ever. To ensure it turns out that way be careful not to over-bake, and measure all the ingredients properly and precisely.
How do you decorate a chocolate birthday cake?
I use either this chocolate buttercream frosting or homemade vanilla frosting to decorate this easy chocolate cake recipe. I use the following tools to decorate : Piping tips and couplers – I recommend a great starter tip and coupler set. However I always make this rosette style cake with a Wilton 1M tip and large coupler. Pastry Scraper. I use this pastry scraper to make a smooth crumb coat. I love it so much!
If you make and love our recipes, it would mean so much to me if you would leave a comment and rating! And don’t forget to follow along with us on , , , and – be sure to tag @joyfoodsunshine and use the hashtag #joyfoodsunshine so we can your creations!
Other Chocolate Favorites From Out Of The Box Baking
If youre crazy about chocolate, Ive got you covered. Here are some of my most popular chocolate recipes:
- Easy Doctored Brownie Mix with Mint Chocolate: This recipe gets rave reviews every time I take it to a family gathering or event. Best of all, its so easy!
- The Best Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake: I love a good chocolate cake and this one is hard to beat!
- Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies : This is my go-to chocolate chip cookie recipeeasy and tasty, loaded with the nutty flavor of browned butter.
- Double Dark Chocolate Espresso Muffins: These dark chocolate muffins have a hint of coffee flavor. Yum!
- Ooey-Gooey Chocolate Chip Blondies: These are a favorite in my family. Theyre right with flavor. . .and goo!
- Traditional German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting: This one is a favorite of mine since childhood!
Thats it for this post, friends! I hope you enjoy this rich, decadent German Chocolate Bars recipe. I think it will make you swoon!
Recommended Reading: Nothing But Bundt Cakes Greensboro Nc
Variations On This Recipe
These were delicious bars but Im already thinking of ways to change up this yummy recipe! Here are some thoughts:
- German Chocolate Cake Mix: Use a cake mix for the base of this cake, adding a stick of butter then pressing into the pan.
- Melt chocolate chips into the filling and add even more chocolate chips on top.
- Walnut Bars: Skip the coconut and pecans and make luscious walnut bars.
- What about sliced almonds? I think the flavor of coconut and almonds might be nice. You could even use almond flour for the crust, if you like.
What To Expect From These German Chocolate Bars
I happen to be a German Chocolate Cake fanatic so I was very much looking forward to tasting this great recipe. It did not disappoint!
I made these bars for some friends and I wanted to put a smile on their faces. Im pretty sure this will do the trick.
That light chocolate crust is tender and flaky, just like a thick chocolate pie crust should be. But that gooey, luscious center? Oh, my! The egg yolks cause it to thicken into a luscious center.
Its rich with flavor, loaded with the crunch of the coconut and pecans and the creamy goodness of chocolate chips.
In many ways, these remind me of my pecan pie blondies. Different flavor profile, but similar texture. Luscious! You could almost get away with calling these German Chocolate Brownies. They would make a great treat at a high tea or bridal shower, but theyre also perfect for a weeknight dessert.
I hardly have words. . .and that rarely happens.
Good thing Im giving this one away, folks. The temptation would be overwhelming!
Read Also: Nothing Bundt Cakes Delivery San Diego
Can I Make This Recipe Ahead Of Time
Yes, this homemade chocolate cake recipe can be made ahead of time. Bake and cool each cake layer and store them individually wrapped in the refrigerator for 2 days. You can also freeze each cake layer tightly wrapped for up to 3 months.
The buttercream frosting can be made 2-3 days in advance. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature when ready to frost the cake.
The Best Moist Chocolate Cake From Scratch
Sharing is caring!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I’m not kidding around when I say this is the best moist chocolate cake ever. Like ever ever. It’s a family recipe from my in-laws*, and it’s been made literally hundreds of time. Every single family birthday this cake gets whipped out, and it’s the highlight of the day. And by the way, I’m going to be using the word “moist” many, many times in this recipe. You’ve been warned.
Don’t Miss: Birthday Cakes With Photos On Them
How To Make Ahead And Store The Homemade Chocolate Cake:
Both the cake and the chocolate frosting can be made ahead. Allow the cakes to cool completely, wrap them well in plastic wrap and place each layer into a gallon zip-top freezer bag. Freeze the cake layers for up to one month.
To frost the cake, simply remove from the freezer and allow to thaw in the refrigerator with wrapping intact. Then, frost the cake once it has completely thawed.
Store the cake at room temperature on the counter. I like to store under a cake dome to keep the cake fresh.
The Best Online Cake Tutorials Recipes And More
Thanks so much for stopping by! We hope that you enjoy the recipe, if you give it a try, we would love for you to leave a comment below.
Dont miss our full collection of the BEST Cake and Frosting Recipes in our Recipes Section! If youre interested in cake decorating as well, make sure to check out our Free Cake Tutorials Section where you can select tutorials by category.
Finally, if youd like to access our full library of hundreds of cake decorating video tutorials, you should consider becoming a member of My Cake School! We have tutorials for all skill levels of cake decorating and memberships are only $30/year. You can find all of the details here!:Membership Details for MyCakeSchool.com
Also Check: Party City Gender Reveal Cake Topper
Which Apples Are Best To Use For Baking
Any baking apples would be great: Gala apples, Golden Delicious, Granny Smith apples, Honey Crisp, Cortlandor any tart apples. I just dont recommend using Red Delicious apples for baking, since they can become mushy.
I like to peel the apples for apple cobbler! The skin doesnt break down during baking and create a chewy texture.
Tips For Best Results
- Sifting. I prefer to sift flour and cocoa powder for this recipe, so it will be light and without any clumps.
- Cocoa Powder. Do not use Dutch-process cocoa powder in this recipe but unsweetened natural cocoa powder.
- Coffee. For hot coffee, you can use regular or decaf coffee. It wont taste like coffee but will helps to enrich the chocolate flavor. If you dont have coffee, you can just use hot water.
- Buttermilk. If you dont have buttermilk, you can make it at home yourself. Just add 2 teaspoons of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup of milk, stir and let it sit for about 5 minutes. The mixture should curdle a bit when ready.
- Cake Pan. Make sure you use a leak proof cake pan for this recipe. Because the batter is very thin, it may leak out.
- Parchment Paper. Its important to use parchment paper on the bottom of the pan, so it will be easier to take the cake out of the form. If you skip this step, most likely your cake will stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Chocolate Ganache. When you whip the ganache, make sure you DONT over whip it! Otherwise, it will become more like a butter texture and will be too thick to spread over the cake.
Also Check: Where Can I Get A Picture On A Cake
Homemade Chocolate Cake For All Times Recipe Inside
- Team Slurrp
Bake your own chocolate cake with a few commonly available and basic ingredients at home.
One can not easily get bored of chocolate cakes. Whether it is the urge to satisfy the craving for dessert, beat the everyday blues or reward oneself with a cheat meal, this chocolaty indulgence is the ultimate resort that never quite loses its charm. Besides great taste, chocolates are popularly known to alleviate stress. The credit goes to the flavonoid-rich cocoa which is the main component of chocolate cake, and is known to enhance mood besides positively impacting vascular blood flow. What’s more, it can be baked with much ease at home with just a few commonly available and basic ingredients like flour, baking powder, milk, sugar and cocoa powder.
The genesis of the chocolate cake can be traced back to the 17th century when cocoa powder procured from the Americans was introduced into regular cake recipes. It was in 1828, that Coenraad van Houten of the Netherland, known as a chocolate maker, devised a method for reducing the bitterness of cocoa and making cocoa solids more water-soluble. However, the first-ever chocolate cake was made only in 1886 when American cooks started adding chocolate to the cake batter. The good old chocolate cake has today proliferated into numerous variants which include the Black Forest, Chocolate souffle cake, Devil’s food cake, Fudge cake, Molten chocolate cake, and Red velvet cake.
Preparation time : 45 minutes
Why This Chocolate Cake Recipe Works
- The cake batter can be made in one bowl and without the use of an electric electric mixer .
- This chocolatey fluffy cake is made from scratch however, it doesnt require any more work than using a cake mix or making a doctored up cake. As an added bonus, the flavor and texture of this homemade cake is far superior than any boxed cake.
- The addition of buttermilk gives this chocolate cake a softer, lighter texture while giving it more body. That is not all, a buttermilk chocolate cake tastes far superior than one without. The tang of buttermilk adds a depth of flavor without adding extra fat.
- The addition of espresso powder intensifies the taste of the chocolate without making it bitter. A perfect cake for all chocolate lovers!
- Instead of making a layered cake, this recipe can be made into cupcakes or into a sheet pan cake by using a 9×13 baking pan.
- If you are looking for the cake recipe to keep in your back pocket, this is the one to keep! I use it for birthdays, Valentines day, school functions, family gatherings, summer parties and every other occasion throughout the year.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Chocolate Cake At Home
Chocolate Cake Recipe: Ingredients And Substitutions
Many people ask how to make a cake super moist. It’s all in the ingredients. I made sure to choose ingredients that would create a moist chocolate cake with a rich chocolate flavor that everyone raves about. So let’s chat about the ingredients and some possible substitutions – although it took me years to perfect this chocolate cake recipe so I really don’t suggest tampering with it.