How To Make The Glaze For Easy Pound Cake
You can also make a simple glaze to pour over the pound cake by mixing
- 1 1/2 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 4 tablespoons milk
- 1-2 teaspoons flavor extract
Be sure to whisk the glaze well, so there are no clumps. Then pour or drizzle over the cake.
If the cream cheese cake is warm, the glaze will most likely soak into the cake. If you want it to sit up on top of the cake, make the glaze very thick, using less liquid and more powdered sugar. Then wait until the cake is completely cool to apply the glaze.
I Love This Easy Pound Cake As Is
This Easy Homemade Pound Cake is rich and buttery, with hint of vanilla. The flavor develops if you let it sit overnight, and I tend to like it best the second and third day.
There’s no need to add anything on top of it. But if you are so inclined, here are a few toppings you can serve with pound cake:
Serving And Storing Vanilla Pound Cake
Once fully cooled, cover and store the pound cake at room temperature. I always keep it in a domed glass cake pedestal on the counter. Its a cozy and welcome sight in the kitchen.
Serve the cake plain, with a dusting of powdered sugar, or top slices with whipped cream and your favorite fruit. We also love this vanilla pound cake with ice cream and a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
Its also a great cake to use in trifles and parfaits. Or, try it in place of brioche for a decadent Pound Cake French Toast! Sliced vanilla pound cake is also delicious warmed in the toaster, on the grill, or pan-fried in butter with a sprinkling of cinnamon sugar.
As with all pound cake recipes, the texture will densify after a few hours, and especially overnight. We enjoy the texture the best when gently rewarming the cake. Just pop a slice into the microwave for 5-10 seconds, and enjoy.
Don’t Miss: Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
The Perfect Bundt Cake Recipe
This recipe yields a beautiful golden vanilla Bundt Cake Recipe. Sweet, dense, soft, and golden brown with a simple buttery vanilla glaze, youre going to love this classic recipe. Includes a how-to video!
A sweet, simple, and unfussy recipe for the perfect vanilla bundt cake. A good bundt cake recipe has been missing from my library for far too long, so after lots and lots of testing, I finally have a solid version that Im proud to share with you.
Easy Pound Cake Recipe
If you have 30 minutes, then you can get your pound cake ready. This easy pound cake recipe requires only 6 ingredients that you likely have right now in your kitchen. So why sit here and keep reading this? Go to the kitchen and make moist pound cake now!
In case you didnt know, March 4th is national pound cake day. Plan early Megan
Recommended Reading: White Chocolate Raspberry Bundt Cake Calories
Pro Tips For The Perfect Pound Cake
- Make sure the scrape that bowl down at each step. You really want everything incorporated properly.
- DONT over-bake your pound cakes. This will make a dry cake and toughen the texture.
- This recipe makes AMAZING muffins. Just butter and flour your muffin tin then bake for about 20-25 minutes. They will be VERY moist and a light golden color outside.
- I flavored my cake with vanilla but you can sub in whichever flavors you like. Fresh lemon juice makes a delicious lemon pound cake, but maple syrup, almond extract, and rum are also very popular flavors for pound cake recipes.
- You can also add poppy seeds, shredded coconut, fresh berries, nuts, or dried fruit for extra flavor and texture.
How To Make Pound Cake
1. Set oven to 350F and butter and flour a 9×5 baking tin. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt then set aside.
2. Cream the room temperature butter and sugar together with a stand mixer or hand mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape the mixing bowl down and whisk once more.
4. Add the sour cream and vanilla then beat to combine.
5. Add flour the mixture and mix until just combined. Scrape the bowl down and use the spatula to finish mixing the batter.
6. Transfer batter to your prepared tin and bake until center is set.
Recommended Reading: How Long To Thaw Dq Ice Cream Cake
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Traditional Pound Cake
- Sifting the flour helps. When baking, this simple step can ensure a smoother texture.
- Add the egg mixture slowly. Dont just dump it in and combine. Take the time to slowly add it in to the butter pound cake recipe batter and use the mixer on low to incorporate it.
- Scrape down. This ensures you get everything combined and doesnt leave residual ingredients on the sides.
- Use a knife to loosen the cake. When the cake has cooled, use a butter knife to help you get the cake out of the pound cake pan. Youll then want to let it cool further from there on a rack.
This Is A Comprehensive Post With Step By Step Instructions On How To Make A Classic Pound Cake
Ill be sharing tips and techniques, pound cake troubleshooting ideas as well as cheat codes to help you make perfect, moist pound cakes. This classic pound cake is so easy and fool-proof, you can nail it even if youre a baking novice!
This is a long post, so you can zip straight down to the recipe below if you like. But if youre looking for tips and tricks to PERFECT your pound cake, then youre in the right place!
So lets start at the beginning.
Read Also: Wilton 6 Inch Cake Pan Baking Time
Whats So Different About A Pound Cake
Pound Cake is very classic, buttery vanilla cake commonly made in loaf form. The crumb is quite dense compared to typical cakes, but when made well, it should be moist, soft and melt-in-your mouth, as this one is!
Think of it as your great all-rounder. The cake you can pull out for afternoon tea, take into work for morning tea. Dress it up to serve for dessert, or grab a slice on the run!
Classic Pound Cake Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
A homemade pound cake is an easy dessert that uses just a few pantry staples!
When looking for a sweet treat that doesnt need a lot of ingredients, pound cake is perfect. With four main ingredients and a little vanilla and salt for flavor, its ready for the oven in no time!
Don’t Miss: Thawing Baskin Robbins Ice Cream Cake
What Kind Of Pans Can You Use To Bake A Cake
Why Youll Love This Recipe
Youll love that this cake is dense and heavy but is still soft and tender with a plush crumb that nearly melts in your mouth. Its also un-fussy to make with basic pantry ingredients.
The glaze is another winning component, a rich citrus crown! A bit of melted butter in the mix makes it perfectly rich and thick and rounds out the flavor nicely, while the lemon juice makes the citrus flavor truly pop!
Grab yourself a glass of lemonade and lets get started.
Also Check: Entenmann’s Pound Cake Ingredients
Ways To Serve Your Pound Cake
The greatest power of pound cake is its versatility. You can serve it so many ways, below are a few of my favorites:
- Slather with butter, toast in a skillet , then dust with powdered sugar and top with macerated warm berries. Serve warm.
- Slather with butter, toast in a skillet, and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, drizzle with chocolate or warmed Nutella
- Top with whipped cream, lemon curd and berries
- Dress it up with a lemon glaze and strawberry slices
- Use it for ice cream sandwiches
- Grill slices of pound cake and top with summer fruit
- Pound cake topped with bananas and honey
You get the idea. The variations are endless.
Where Does Pound Cake Originate
The recipe for pound cake was included in the very first American cookbook, American Cookery, published in 1796. Despite these early American origins, its thought that pound cake migrated from Northern Europe. The French lay claim to the pound cake as well, though its called quatre-quarts or four quarters.
Also Check: Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake Sizes
Warmed Eggs Worked In Slowly Create An Emulsionthats Important
Fresh, large eggs are what I call for in my recipe. Most important, the eggs need to be at room temperature so they dont harden the butter when you add them. You can speed up the process by putting the eggs in a bowl of warm tap water for 6 to 8 minutes.
When you add the eggs, do it one at a time, using a slow speed on your mixer. Youre trying to create a creamy mixture that holds the air bubbles that have already been whipped in. At this point, youre beginning to create an emulsion, which is the most important step in making the pound cake. A well-emulsified batter will trap and hold air bubbles that then expand during baking. This produces the rise and is a major factor in the final texture of the cake. A cake baked from a poorly emulsified batter will be grainy and uneven and can sink.
The emulsion begins with the butter, eggs, and sugar and continues while you add the dry ingredients . You want to prevent the emulsion from breaking, which would make it look like little curds floating in syrup. Sometimes if a recipe has too little sugar or too many eggs, the emulsion will start to break. To rescue the emulsion, add a little of the flour mixture, one tablespoon at a time, to maintain it.
Use High Quality Ingredients
To be completely honest with you, I am typically not the kind of baker that believes that using name brand ingredients is going to make a huge difference over a generic brand. But when you have a recipe with as few ingredients as pound cake, each one is significantly more important.
Compare a generic store brand sugar to a name brand sugar, such as C& H or Domino, and you may notice that the sugar crystals are much smaller. The rise, also known as the leavening, of this cake is completely dependent on the ability of the sugar to hold a web of air with the butter . Therefore, a smaller sugar grain is significant because it can cause this web to break and the cake to fall.
Did You Know: If the package of sugar does not specify cane sugar, chances are that it is actually beet sugar? Most generic store brand sugars are beet sugar. While those in the sugar industry claim beet sugar and cane sugar are chemically identical, many baking tests have proven that cane sugar creates much more superior baked goods!
Recommended Reading: Sam Bakery Cakes
How Do You Get A Cake Out Of A Bundt Pan Without Breaking It
Run a flexible spatula or nylon spreader around the edges of the pan dont forget the center tube! Since the cake has firmed up in the freezer, its easier to work the spatula around it without potentially damaging the design. Turn the pan over onto a cooling rack and your cake should drop out with a tap or two.
Lemon Curd And Pistachio
Its not very difficult to make lemon curd. Whisk together fresh lemon juice, grated lemon zest, sugar, and eggs in a heavy saucepan, then stir in butter and cook over moderately low heat, frequently whisking, until curd is thick enough. Let it cool.
Add a tablespoon of homemade lemon curd on a slice of pound cake. Give it a fresh twist by sprinkling on it a handful of pistachio, toasted and chopped.
Pound Cake From Cake Mix
- 1PackageYour Favorite Cake Mix
- 1PackageInstant Pudding and Pie Filling Mix
- 1CupPowdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray pan with vegetable pan spray.
- In a large bowl, or in the bowl of a stand mixer, combine cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water and oil. Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes remove from pan and place onto wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar and milk until sugar is completely dissolved. Divide glaze into 6 separate bowls.
- Using icing colors, tint glaze as follows:
- 1 bowl pink
- 1 bowl yellow
- 1 bowl green
- 1 bowl teal
- 1 bowl periwinkle
- 1 bowl white
- Prepare 6 decorating bags, separately, with pink, yellow, green, teal, periwinkle and white glaze. Cut small tip off each bag.
- Pipe drops of white glaze over top of cake. Alternate piping colored glaze and white glaze, allowing icing to drip down sides of cake. Continue filling in gaps. Tap cake on surface to help icing drip, if needed.
Kentucky Blue Ribbon All
This recipe for brown sugar pound cake will quickly become a staple in your home. This cake gas a delicious caramel flavor that comes from the brown sugar. Brown Sugar Pound Cake Recipe . I love making pound cakes and one of best recipes is this vanilla almond pound cake recipe. Make this in a 10-inch pan or angel food pan to make the mile high pound cake even more delectable.
Using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle or whisk attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the cream cheese and beat on high speed until completely smooth and combined, about 1 minute.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Make the cake: Butter three 9-inch round cake pans, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Sift flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt into the bowl of a mixer. Beat on low speed until just combined.
Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F . Butter three 9-inch cake pans. In a bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Set aside. In the top pan of a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over simmering water in a pan, melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
You May Like: Sam’s Club Cake Design Book 2021