Tricks To Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
Lava cake is easy to make, but tough to perfect. Trust us, weve made this recipe too many times to count as we honed it to perfection! Here are three important things to know about making the best lava cake:
- Youll need 6-ounce ramekins. This classic lava cake requires a special baking dish. Make sure to get these, because the bake time depends on it.
- The bake time is extremely sensitive. Youve got to pull the cakes when theyre just baked on the outside but still molten on the inside. It takes a little practice based on your oven, so dont worry if you dont get it right the first time.
- Follow the unmolding instructions exactly. Once you take the cakes out of the oven, they still bake in the ramekins. So youll need to let them sit an exact amount of minutes to get the outside and top to firm up.
Other than that, its big fun! The batter is quick and easy to whip up, and its a theatrical dessert thats perfect for chocolate lovers. Unmold the cakes, dig in, and watch that lava flow!
Ingredients For Chocolate Lava Cake
This list of ingredients is pretty simple and you wont believe how easy it is to make these homemade lava cakes. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements.
- Eggs: You will use whole eggs and egg yolks in this recipe. I like to make sure that my eggs are at room temperature when I start mixing the batter.
- Sugar: You dont have to use too much sugar to make this recipe delicious and sweet!
- Chocolate: You can use dark or milk chocolate for these desserts. they both tastedelicious, its just a personal preference of what you like better.
- Butter: Use unsalted butter that is at room temperature for this recipe.
- Vanilla extract: This brings out the sweet flavors in the cake.
- Cocoa powder: The cocoa powder will amplify that choclatey taste.
- Flour: All purpose flour works great for this recipe.
Pro Tips For Making Molten Chocolate Lava Cake
- Use a high quality chocolate for your lava cakes. This is the main flavor and you will taste the difference when using a better cocoa powder and baking chocolate.
- The bake time will change based on the size of your ramekins and your ovens idiosyncrasies so its a good idea to do a test batch before you serve these at a dinner party.
- Try adding a flavor you enjoy like orange zest, raspberry reduction or a hit of caramel.
- Serve it with ice cream!
Recommended Reading: Are Nothing Bundt Cakes Vegan
What If I Dont Have Ramekins
If you dont have ramekins then thats totally ok! You can use a muffin pan for these chocolate lava cakes instead. Grease the muffin pans before you pour the batter into them. Bake them for 8-10 minutes at 425 degrees. When they are done baking then use a spoon to get them out of the muffin tin and place them upside down on a plate to serve.
How Do I Reheat Cooked Lava Cake
Remember when you reheat your baked Chocolate Lava Cakes, you are solidifying the center and they will likely loose their lava. Still, you will have a delicious chocolate cake!
To reheat cooked molten lava cake from the freezer:
- Thaw lava cake overnight in the refrigerator.
- Place lava cake on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a damp paper towel
- Heat on medium power for about 40 seconds, or until the center is soft
To reheat cooked molten lava cake from the refrigerator:
- Unwrap cake.
- Cover with damp paper towel.
- Heat on medium power for about 40 seconds, or until the center is soft.
Read Also: Sam’s Club Cake Book
Is Molten Chocolate Cake Safe To Eat
In the UK it’s safe to eat raw eggs that are produced under the Lion code of Practice. However, in some countries you still need to worry about salmonella in raw eggs. But there is no need to worry about this cake: The bacteria is killed instantly at temperatures over 160F / 70C. Which means the hot gooey centre is perfectly safe to eat!
Why These Chocolate Lava Cakes Are The Best
In testing this recipe, we surveyed an incredible amount of lava cake recipes. The classic recipe uses a large quantity of chocolate and butter. But we tweaked and honed this recipe to perfection to taste even better with less richness. Heres what makes this lava cake recipe great:
- It tastes like chocolate cake batter. Most classic recipes taste like melted chocolate, which is good but not great. These molten lava cakes taste like the chocolate cake batter you lick off a spoon.
- Its just as decadent, with half the butter and chocolate as a standard recipe. The standard recipe is too rich for us. Plus, we hate using up an entire 1 ½ chocolate bars for the recipe . This recipe uses only ½ chocolate bar for 4 servings.
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Nutrition Facts
How Do I Bake My Prepped Lava Cakes From The Refrigerator
Before baking your Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes from the refrigerator, place them on your kitchen counter and allow to come to room temperature. Check the temperature often. You do not want the batter to sit out longer than needed because it does have dairy and egg in it.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- If batter is still in mixing bowl, fill greased ramekins.
- Place room-temperature ramekins on baking sheet and bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Remove from oven when edges are firm while center is soft but not jiggly.
How To Make Chocolate Lava Cakes
Chocolate lava cakes with their deliciously rich molten chocolate center come together with 6 simple ingredients. Ready in just 25 minutes, this surprisingly easy dessert always impresses. If you dont have ramekins, follow our instructions for using a muffin pan instead.
Today were making straight-up chocolate lava cakes. Even though peanut butter chocolate lava cakes are truly magical, weve received a lot of requests for a plain chocolate version. So we decided to make them. It ISchocolate molten lava cake, after all.
Molten cakes are always a crowd favorite, and theyre infinitely better when freshly made at home. Youll love that lava cakes are single servings just like chocolate cupcakes. If you prefer a gluten-free option, consider making rich and fudge-like flourless chocolate cake.
Recommended Reading: Mrs Fields Cookie Cake Sizes
How To Make Chocolate Lava Cake In Muffin Pan
I havent yet tested them using a standard size muffin pan but that should work fine as well. Only fill each 2/3 full , then reduce bake time by a few minutes.
What To Serve With Chocolate Lava Cakes:
The perfect Valentines Day Meal would start with an appetizer of Shrimp Cocktail or Calamari followed with a dinner of Ribeye Steak or Pot Roast with a side of Mashed Potatoes or Mac and Cheese with these Chocolate Lava Cakes for dessert.
Trust me, youll be highly appreciated by the time you serve this chocolate cake for dessert. Extra points if you top it with ice cream.
If you like lava cakes and want another fun flavor option I also have these Peanut Butter Lava Cakes on the blog too.
Pin this recipe now to remember it later
Also Check: Does Sams Club Do Custom Cakes
Lava Cake Or Brownie Pudding Cake
Where are all my baking beginners out there??
Im here to say you should stick around for this one because this simple lava cake recipe is for you! Today we are mixing up a recipe that takes almost a little effort to make as it does to eat half a pan without realizing.
Just imagine, taking your fork and diving into what you think will be just a regular chocolate cake with ice cream on top, but to your delight, thats not what it is. With the first poke of the fork, a delectable chocolate lava sauce comes running out, leaving you with your chocolate dessert dreams coming true.
This cake is a cross between a brownie, chocolate cake, and a molten lava cake in one mind-blowing treat. It has the crackly top of brownies, the moist fluffy texture of cake, and a molten lava sauce built in to push it over the top.
Whether you call it chocolate lava cake, or brownie pudding cake, top it with your favorite ice cream flavor, and get ready to be on chocolate cloud nine.
How Do You Store Leftover Molten Lava Cake
Chocolate Lava Cake is best eaten immediately. We dont want you to miss out on the warm melted chocolate lava in the center of the cake! The longer the cake sits once removed from the oven, the more time it has to continue cooking. We want that gooey chocolate lava river to stay runny, so its ideal to consume it shortly after it comes out of the oven.
You can refrigerate your baked molten lava cake, although I dont recommend it. As you cook, store and reheat it, you may lose the liquid or lava texture in the center.
However, if you want to refrigerate your cooked cakes, wrap them individually and securely in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for up to three days. Just be aware that your lava cake will now just be a chocolate cake minus the molten center when ready to eat.
Recommended Reading: Pool Cake Steps
Preparing Wet Ingredients Solution For Choco Lava Cake
7. In another bowl, take cup sugar.
8. Add ½ cup cold water. Do use cold water only as it gives the best texture in the cake.
9. Using a spoon or a wired whisk mix very well till all the sugar is dissolved.
10. Now add 2 tablespoons oil. You can use sunflower oil or olive oil.
11. Using a wired whisk mix the oil very well with the sugar+water solution.
12. Now add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract . If using vanilla essence, then add ¼ teaspoon of it.
13. Add ½ tbsp lemon juice. Instead of lemon juice, you can also use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar.
14. Again mix very well.
How To Store Keto Lava Cake
Chocolate lava cake with a molten centre should be eaten hot and straight from the oven.
It is possible to prepare the batter ahead and store it in the fridge overnight. Be sure to bring it back to room temperature before you bake it.
Another option would be to bake the cakes for 11-12 minutes until you have a fudgy keto chocolate cake. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Recommended Reading: Cookies And Cream Ice Cream Cake Baskin Robbins
You Can Never Have Too Much Chocolate
The Best Chocolate Brownies Your search is over for the BEST Brownie recipe! These homemade brownies are decadently rich, chocolatey and fudgy with the perfect crackly top. Youll never reach for the box mix again.
Mississippi Mudslide Cake Layers of chocolate cake, whipped cream, cookie chunks, and more chocolate is a dream come true for chocolate lovers.
Chocolate Raspberry Bundt Cake an intense chocolate cake with a surprise raspberry filling and a hint of raspberry liquor in every bite. Covered in a Chocolate Chambord Glaze and simply garnished with fresh raspberries, I love how elegant this cake looks with barely any effort.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles An easy, no-bake recipe for any occasion. Delicious, egg free cookie dough dipped in melted chocolate are the ultimate dessert idea!
Mini Smore Pie the perfect dessert for snacking or entertaining. Serve warm, room temperature or chilled. Either way, its chocolate, marshmallow, graham cracker deliciousness presented in the form of a decadent mini pie.
Chocolate Covered Brown Butter Krispie Treats No oven time, just 7 pantry staple ingredients, made without extra sugars, and take almost no effort to make. Theyre sweet, salty, peanutty, extra chocolatey, and just a little bit addicting!
How To Make Chocolate Lava Mug Cake In The Microwave
- your favorite mug, of course
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 oz semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon water
Gather all of your ingredients. Melt your butter in the microwave.
Whisk together with a fork, the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt until well combined in mug.
Add in the melted butter, milk, egg and vanilla. Whisk well to combine, making sure to mix in the flour mixture in the bottom.
Place the semi-sweet chocolate chips in the center of the mug. Drizzle the tablespoon of water right on top of the batter.
Cook in microwave for 1-2 minutes or until the cake rises to the top, the edges look set. The center will looks slighty wet and shiny but not raw, and sticks slightly to the finger when touched.
Let your chocolate lava mug cake cool for about 5 minutes.
Tips for making Chocolate Lava Mug Cake:
- Do not over cook! You want to make sure you have a nice gooey center. My sweet spot is 1 minute and 15 seconds to get the perfect lava cake. Start by microwaving for a minute and check your cake.
- Go crazy and add caramel, nuts, fruit preserves or peanut butter to the center!
- Dust the top with powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream.
Don’t Miss: Sams Club Cake Cost
How To Make Homemade Lava Cakes
- Prepare the oven and ramekins: Preheat the oven to 375°. Prepare 4 ramekins by spraying with nonstick spray. You can also dust with cocoa powder if desired.
- Melt the chocolate and combine with butter: In a small, heatproof bowl combine the chocolate chips and butter and place it over a small saucepan of simmering water. Stir occasionally until fully melted and combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients: In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until fully combined and thickened. Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Bake the molten chocolate lava cakes: Divide the batter evenly between each of the ramekins. Place on a sheet pan and bake for 10-12 minutes or until only the center is still jiggly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
- Serve the cakes: Place a plate on top of each ramekin and carefully flip over. Serve immediately.
Chocolate Lava Cake Ingredients:
These Chocolate Lava Cakes are fabulous because you can make them with pantry ingredients! All you need are:
- Semi-sweet chocolate: you will need 4 oz. of your favorite baking chocolate bar NOT chocolate chips. Chocolate chips wont produce the same lava center were looking for. Use quality chocolate like Ghirardelli, Nestle or Lindt for best results. If you LOVE dark chocolate, you can also use that instead of semi-sweet. Semi-sweet chocolate is technically dark chocolate but not as dark as some.
- Butter: use unsalted butter so we can control the salt.
- Powdered sugar: use powdered sugar and NOT granulated sugar.
- Eggs: we will use both 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks so you will need a total of 4 eggs.
- Salt: just an & frac18 teaspoon will do to enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Flour: I use all-purpose flour but Im sure a gluten free 1 to 1 baking flour would also work great.
Recommended Reading: Baskin Robbins Pinata Cake