Ingredients You Need For This Recipe
- Butter: Soft butter or use melted and cooled butter.
- Sugar: White granulated sugar should not be used in place of flavored sugar, as it may alter the flavor of the lemon.
- Fresh Lemon juice and lemon zest: Use untreated and preferably organic fresh lemon juice.
- Eggs: medium size and at room temperature
- Vanilla: Pure, liquid vanilla extract that can be replaced with a packet of vanilla sugar.
- Sour cream : The acidity of the crème fraiche plays an important role in the softness of this cake. You can replace it with fermented milk or plain yogurt.
- Flour: white wheat all purpose flour.
- Baking powder : For the softness or replace with baking soda.
- Salt: essential to bring out the flavors.
- Poppy seeds: Poppy seeds are added mainly for the decorative side of the cake, but they also add an extra texture in the mouth.
- Confectionner’s sugar : To make the sugar glaze use confectioners’ sugar instead of sugar.
Stable Cream Cheese Frosting
In my most recent post I gave you the details of how to make cream cheese frosting more stable and Ive used that recipe here. Cream cheese frosting is such a perfect pairing for Lemon Poppy Seed Cake!
Ill let you head over to that post to read the ins and outs but it comes down to order of ingredients, temperature, and stabilizing agents.
I hope you all love this cake as much as we did. Its the perfect spring cake and would be wonderful for Mothers Day!
Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake
This Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is moist, perfectly sweet, and lemony! Its completely homemade and is topped with the most delicious lemon glaze.
Are you more of a fan of lemon or chocolate desserts? When it comes to the two, I really have a hard time choosing. On one hand I love love love chocolate, but on the other hand Im a total lemon lover too.
But since I may have gone a little crazy on the chocolate recipes lately and its been sooo cold, today Im bringing you this bright and fresh lemon poppy seed bundt cake!
This recipe is kind of a mix of my vanilla cupcakes and this lemon bundt cake from Martha Stewart. The first time I made the cake, I used all butter and it was just okay. The cake came out a little dense, which I expected, and the next day it wasnt quite as moist.
I decided to adjust the recipe a bit and used a mix of butter and oil and the end result was so much better! The cake is still buttery, but the 1/4 cup of oil helps to make the cake just a bit lighter and helps to keep it moist.
The lemon glaze really adds to the cake though and adds a little extra pop of lemon flavor, so dont leave it off! Its just two easy ingredients and you can mix it up in no time.
Don’t Miss: Zone Perfect Macro Bars Birthday Cake
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram and hashtag it #thesimplesweetlife
Update Notes: This post was originally published in March of 2015 but was republished with step-by-step photos and tips in February of 2019.
Oh yay! You made it all the way to the bottom. High five!
So you probably noticed that this is in updated version of an older recipe from my blog. And maybe that has you wondering what the cake originally looked . Was it pretty? Did she even know how to use a decent camera?? That would be a no and no.
And as much as I hate to share my cringy, old photos, I also appreciate the glimpse at growth it allows and the opportunity to remind you: Seriously guys, if I can do it, ANYONE can. Heres a little glimpse at the original cake.
Best Ever Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Best Ever Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf is perfectly moist and tender, packed with delicious lemony flavors and sprinkled with just the right amount of poppy seeds. Easy to bake, it makes for a great breakfast, tea-time or dessert, with or without icing. Love all things citrus? Me too! Make sure to give my amazing Orange Pound Cake and Perfect Lemon Ricotta Bundt Cake a try!
Guys, Im so happy and proud to share with you my perfect lemon poppy seed loaf recipe today! Ive been working on this recipe for quite some time and I finally obtained the results I was looking for: a rich, buttery and moist lemon poppy seed loaf, with just the right amount of poppy seed. The result is just insane and slightly addictive too!
And believe me, when it comes to citrus cake recipes, Im known for being very picky about the texture. I expect all the fresh and juicy flavors from the citrus , a moist and tender texture enabling the cake to hold its shape when slicing, and just the right balance between sweet and sour. I tried my hands on several lemon poppy seed breads over the years and often found them slightly too cakey and dry, which is a big no-no for me. So I kept trying again and trying again until I understand the science behind and made it to this decadent recipe.
Read Also: 9 Inch Cake Box With Window
Perfect For Spring & Summer
This incredible lemon cake is so perfect for spring and summertime! The light lemon flavors with the creamy frosting are not overwhelming or heavy. Its the perfect cake for spring holidays, such as Easter or Mothers Day! If youre planning anything special for these holidays, you can make my lemon poppy seed cake up to 3 days ahead of time and just keep it stored in the refrigerator! And feel free to garnish the top of the cake with your favorite edible/safe flowers or roses. If youre not sure if a flower is edible or safe to use as a garnish, I recommend using Google search to find out.
How To Tell When My Cake Is Done Baking
Every oven is different, and what works perfectly for me might not be the case for you. Have no fear, toothpicks are here! Use a clean toothpick and poke as deep as you can into the thickest part of the cake. If it comes out clean, then your cake is all done. If theres some batter stuck to it, add 5-10 extra minutes until the cake is fully baked.
Read Also: Where To Get Ice Cream Cake
Tips For The Best Lemon Loaf
If youre new to making homemade quick breads, follow the recipe to a T and take a minute to review the tips and tricks below for the very best loaf cake.
Use room temperature ingredients. I know, I know. Im certain I sound like a broken record each and every time I remind you to use room temperature ingredients. It matters folks. To get that light and tender texture youll want to have your butter, eggs and yogurt at room temperature before mixing them with the dry ingredients. This helps to ensure that your batter comes out smooth and bakes up fluffy and moist.
Its all about the lemons. Well use both the zest and juice to give this cake a bright, fresh lemon flavor. Meyer lemons are naturally sweeter and a bit more floral than the standard lemons you see at the grocery store. They are also less acidic which means they deliver a more vibrant citrus flavor that makes this cake really shine. January is the height of citrus season so if you see Meyers at the market, buy them. By the dozens!
Do not over bake. Bake this loaf cake as directed, keeping in mind that all ovens run differently. For best results, invest in a simple oven thermometer to be sure your oven is baking at the correct temperature. Do not over bake this loaf or it will be dry and crumbly. If the top is browning too quickly, loosely tent the top with a piece of aluminum foil. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out nearly clean or with just a few crumbs remaining.
Best Dessert For A Potluck Or Crowd
This Lemon Poppy Seed Sheet Cake is the perfect dessert to make for a crowd or a big potluck! First of all, it feeds anywhere from 24-48 people depending on how large you cut the slices! Its a perfect dessert to even make the night before your party, the glaze on top seals in the moisture so the cake wont dry out any time soon! Its easy to serve once you get to the party and its really easy to transport in your car! If you are making this the night before, my once suggestion would be to wait to top with any fruit until you arrive to the party! Juices sometimes seem out of fruit and into glazes.
Sheet cakes, like this one, are usually made on rimmed cookie sheets! I sometimes swap a normal sized pan for two of my mini pans when I shoot recipes so I can give extras away easier to families in my neighborhood. So if youre looking at these photos and wondering why you only see 12 slices, its because I actually made two smaller cakes.
Recommended Reading: Best Place To Order Birthday Cake
How To Store A Cake:
- Plain cake layers cool completely to room temperature then wrap fully in several layers of plastic wrap and keep at room temperature up to 2 days, refrigerate up to 5 days, or freeze up to 3 months.
- Frosted cakes cover with a cake keeper or use a large overturned bowl or even pot (just be sure it has enough clearance for the width and height of the cake. Refrigerate cakes covered to keep them from drying out or absorbing refrigerator odors.
- Sliced Cake once a cake has been cut, it starts to lose moisture. To keep it fresh, lay a piece of plastic wrap against the cut side then cover as you would whole frosted cakes .
Composition Of The Lemon And Poppy Seed Pound Cake
The recipe for lemon and poppy seed cake is very easy to make and with simple ingredients that we all have in our cupboards. It has a texture very similar to pound cake recipes, very rich in butter and melting in the mouth.
Follow the recipe and all my instructions to make a success of your lemon poppy cake and keep all its softness.
You May Like: Lemon Bundt Cake Nothing Bundt Cake
Best Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake
For all the lemon lovers out there, here is my best lemon poppy seed pound cake recipe. This lemon cake has nothing to envy to the classic lemon pound cake.
This lemon and poppy seed pound cake also has a wonderful soft, moist texture like a pound cake, thanks to the sour cream and that delicious lemon flavor.
My lemon poppy seed pound cake comes with a lemon juice flavored glaze that is very easy to make and that adds a nice topping on this cake in addition to the little seeds poppy seeds that add style to this lemon cake and give it a light crunchy texture in the mouth.
This lemon poppy seed pound cake is quick and easy to make and is sure to please anyone who loves tangy desserts. Add some red fruits, raspberries or blueberries with whipped cream and you have a fabulous dessert for your summer lunches.
Easy Lemon Loaf Cake Recipe
This lemon poppy seed cake is super simple to make, and comes together quickly. I used a neutral oil and sour cream to provide the fat in this recipe – the sour cream provides moisture and flavour. Lemon poppy seed cake is super simple to make:
- Combine sugar and lemon zest. Rubbing the lemon zest into the sugar for any lemon based recipe helps to release the lemon oil from the zest, and gives you a super fragrant lemon cake.
- Add the dry ingredients. Add the remainder of the dry ingredients – flour, almond meal, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Combine wet ingredients. In a separate bowl stir together the wet ingredients.
- Incorporate wet into dry. This is a super easy stir together cake. I like to whisk for a little then switch to a rubber spatula to make sure I haven’t missed anything.
- Transfer to the pan. Pop your batter into the pan and smooth down, then add a little line of butter if desired to help the cake crack evenly. Bake until done, then leave to cool and turn out.
- Glaze. Once the cake is fully cooled, brush with the lemon glaze. Leave to sit to cool for a little, then you are good to go!
Read Also: Nothing But Bundt Cakes Charlotte Nc
Can I Make This In A Bundt Pan
If you would rather have a bundt cake then yes you can make this in a bundt pan, the cooking times might be slightly different so would watch your cake.
You will know when it is done when a toothpick comes out clean. If you do plan on making git in a bundt pan then you can still use the frosting if you wish or you can make a lemon glaze to pour over the top.
How To Store Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
One question I get asked often is Do I need to refrigerate bundt cakes?. My answer is no, you dont. All you need is a covered cake plate and the bundt cake will keep quite well at room temperature. Besides, refrigerating a bundt cake might dry it out, plus the cold can dull the flavor. So if you have a covered cake plate, your cake will keep just fine for several days.
If you dont have a covered cake plate, use a bowl, such as the bowl from your salad spinner to cover the cake.
Read Also: What Do You Need For Cake Pops
Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With Cake Mix
This Lemon Poppy Seed Cake with Cake Mix is a deliciously moist doctored cake made with a lemon cake mix, sour cream, buttermilk and lemon zest! This lemon poppy seed layer cake is filled and frosted with a silky smooth lemon-infused vanilla buttercream that is the perfect complement to the cake!
Im a total sucker for lemon poppy seed desserts! My Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake is another delicious lemon poppy seed cake recipe from scratch in a bundt pan! Prefer something smaller? Make my Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Sour Cream or my Lemon Poppy Seed Scones! Round out your lemon poppy seed dessert recipes with my Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Bread. Told you Im a big fan!
Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake With Lemon Glaze
This Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf Cake just shrieks hellooo spring! Yes, it is time to start baking with all things lemon while still enjoying our soups and stews for the winter, while eagerly awaiting the day when those first little shoots of green come out in spring. Can you tell what kind of mood I’m in lately? It’s always reflected in my baking and recipes!
Don’t Miss: Kodiak Cakes On The Go Cups
Add The Lemon Drizzle:
- Once the cake has cooled you can add the lemon drizzle.
- Place the lemon juice, caster sugar and water into a small saucepan and heat up gently. Boil the liquid a little to dissolve the sugar and thicken the syrup a little no more than 2 minutes.
- Using a cocktail stick, make small holes all over the top of the cake. Push the cocktail stick 3/4 of the way down the cake, but not all the way through, otherwise the syrup will pool at the bottom, resulting in a soggy cake.
- Now brush the sugar syrup over the top of the cake. The sugar syrup will work its way down into each of the small holes in the top of the cake, adding extra lemon flavour into the center of the cake.
- The cake is now ready to slice and serve.
Choose Your Ingredients Wisely
- lemons : I advise you to use freshly squeezed lemons for the lemon juice . To harvest the zest, I recommend organic lemons instead.
- cream : this is what will add softness to this lemon poppy seed cake. I use liquid cream at 30% mg .
- Butter : here we need soft softened butter. To soften it, leave it for about 1 hour at room temperature.
NB: the detailed quantities are given to you in the recipe at the bottom of the page.
Also Check: Can I Order A Walmart Cake Online
How To Store And Freeze Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
Let the glaze harden before slicing. The cake will keep nicely for 3 days if kept covered on the countertop. It can also be frozen for up to 3 months. After it is completely cooled, double-wrap it securely with aluminum foil or plastic freezer wrap, or place it in heavy-duty freezer bag. Thaw overnight on the countertop before serving.
Tips For Making This Cake
- Make the lemon curd in advance: If youre looking to save some time, you can make the lemon curd a week and store it in the refrigerator.
- Measure your batter: Making even layers of cake start with measuring your batter. For this recipe, that means about roughly 9.3oz of batter per pan .
- Chill your cake: Cool cake is easier to cut and handle, so chilling your cake for a short while before use will make this process easier.
- Saving time with store-bought frosting: If you dont want to make your own frosting for this recipe, you can substitute about 2.5lb of store-bought frosting.
- Crumb coat: Spreading a thin layer of frosting around the sides and top of the cake, and then refrigerating it will lock in any crumbs and keep them from reaching the surface of your frosted cake.
- The trick for smooth frosting: Youll need a rotating cake stand and a bench scraper. Place the small end of the bench scraper on the cake stand, long end against the frosting and turn the table. Once excess frosting is removed, heat the scraper in hot water, wipe and drag around the outside of the cake.
- Storage: This cake will keep at room temperature, uncut, for 3-4 days. For best results, cover it with a plastic lid, bowl or place it in a cardboard box.
- Storing cut cake: Once your cake is cut, youll want to protect the exposed cake area. The easiest way to do this is with a piece of plastic wrap or two.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. lemon zest
For the lemon poppy seed cake:
Also Check: Metal Cake Pan With Metal Lid