How To Make A Diaper Cake: Supplies
There are endless diaper cake ideasâit can match the theme of the baby shower, or simply have more general decorations that evoke all things baby. Sometimes the diaper cake can reflect the momâs personality or tastes for example, giving it a modern look with succulents or greenery, or decorating it with the colours of her favourite sports team.If youâre tasked with planning a baby shower or simply want to make a diaper cake for an expectant mother, hereâs a basic list of the things youâll need:
Best Diapers To Use For A Diaper Cake
There are so many different diapers available that it can be overwhelming to choose some for a diaper cake. My first suggestion is to get a larger size of diaper babies grow out of newborn and size 1 diapers so quickly and mothers often receive these sizes as gifts. I say buy size 2, 3 or 4 diapers.
My second suggestion is to look for plain white diapers or to find a patterned diaper and pick one that will match your color scheme. There are some really darling diapers nowadays with trendy patterns printed on them and these diapers can really jazz up a diaper cake. Here are a few of my favorite diaper brands to use for diaper cakes:
1.2. 3. 4.5.6.
What Is A Diaper Cake
A diaper cake is a cake-shaped structure that’s built out of diapers and covered in decorations like flowers or stuffed animals. It usually has two or three tiers of rolled diapers that are wrapped in ribbon to resemble icing on a cake.
You can also customize the design of your diaper cake to align with the baby shower theme. Although a straightforward cake is the shape you see most often, many people make diaper “cakes” that look like cars, motorcycles and even animals .
Don’t Miss: Cakes And Flowers Delivery In Hyderabad
Creating A Rolled Up Diaper Cake
What Exactly Is A Diaper Cake
A diaper cake is basically a cake-shaped gift thatâs made of diapers. It’s most often decorated with things like ribbons, small baby items, paper cutouts, and even a little sign that says something like âOh, baby!â
A diaper cake is often given to the mom-to-be at her baby shower by one of the guests, or it may be created by the baby shower host as a centerpiece for the food table.
The diaper cake can match the theme of the baby shower, or simply have more general decorations that evoke all things baby. Sometimes the diaper cake can reflect the momâs personality or tastes for example, giving it a modern look with succulents or greenery, or decorating the diaper cake in the colors of her favorite sports team.
Of course, you donât have to be going to the baby shower to create a diaper cake for the mom-to-be. Perhaps youâd like to give one to a colleague just before she goes on maternity leave, or maybe youâd like to bring your creation to a sip and see party after the babyâs birth.
No matter how or when youâre giving the diaper cake to the mom-to-be, she will be surprised and delighted â and youâll have a pretty good time creating it, too!
Also Check: Publix Ice Cream Cake Order Online
How To Make A Diaper Cake With Lots Of Helpful Tips And Tricks Plus Tons Of Inspiration For How To Decorate Diaper Cakes
This is your ultimate guide to making a diaper cake!
Diaper cakes are a stack of rolled or folded diapers made to look like a traditional tiered cake. They are one of my favorite gifts to take to a baby shower because they double as a decoration. A diaper cake can be the fun focal point of baby shower decorations. Its really fun to decorate a diaper cake to match the party theme. Plus theyre a handy gift that you know every new mom will be able to use.
If you want to make a diaper cake, youll find all of the information you need below. With the help of this thorough set of instructions, you can do it, promise! Ill walk you through the process of gathering materials, building the structure part of the diaper cake and then the fun part decorating it!
Wrapping Your Diaper Cake
If youve browsed online for diaper cake ideas, youll know that you can wrap your cake in many different things.
However, there is a clear favorite and thats with a thick ribbon.
This way, your diaper cake will look like a regular, delicious cake.
Other options are lace or fabric, you can always get creative and find alternative materials too.
All you need to do is make sure its wrapped nice and tight.
Tip 11 Wrap the cake. To wrap it up, start from on side , wrap around, and secure with a tape or a decorative safety pin. Straight pins work too.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Angel Food Cake Pan
How To Decorate Your Diaper Cake
There are so many possibilities for decorating your diaper cake. Here are a few suggestions.
- I made a cake topper with the babys name to put on the top. Heres how to make a cake topper using your Cricut cutting machine.
- You could also top your diaper cake with a toy, like a personalized stuffed animal. Heres a post on how to put HTV on stuffies.
- Wrap a garland around the cake. The diaper cake I made was a fall theme, so a dollar store leaf garland wrapped around, dressed it up nicely.
- Using your Cricut, or another cutting machine , you can cut out shapes that go with the theme. Think ABCs, animals, baby symbols like onesies or diapers. You could cut out the babys name or first initial as well.
- Add small baby items to the cake top it with a baby bottle or sippy cup. Add a soother, baby thermometer or other, small baby items throughout the diaper cake, on various layers. These little extras will all be helpful to the new mom. Secure with double-sided tape or looped painters tape or masking tape.
- You could even wrap the entire cake in tulle or cellophane. This makes it easier to move and transport.
- Artificial flowers make nice decorations as it really mimics a cake.
Create Teddy Bear Diaper Cake For Boys And Girls
Your bear diaper cake almost finished, it just needs decorating. If you don’t know the baby’s gender yet, you can use neutral baby colours like green, yellow, white or grey.
A teddy bear diaper cake for girls will look cute in soft pink tones. You can decorate the bear with a pink baby hat, a pink pacifier and a bib or flannel cloth as a bandana. Matching bows will complete the cute bear diaper cake for girls. Make sure not to combine too many shades of pink, otherwise the newborn gift will look to busy. Add some grey or white in combinations with pink to keep the look calm. Bright red lips and eyes with long eyelashes and rosy cheeks will work well.Clothes for baby girls can be found in our stores or in the online store. Care products and baby toys will complete the gift for first time parents.
If your teddy bear diaper cake is to welcome a boy into the world, then decorate it with shades of blue. For the bear’s ears, for example, use cute blue baby socks to cover the little nappy rolls. You can add a blue bow, a soft baby blue hat, or a cool cap to the head of the bear. Finally, adding blue bibs, bodysuits and care products to your bear will make a useful gift for new parents. Our boys baby products will give you enough choice for your unique bear diaper cake. Again, less is more and plain white or grey baby bodysuits create a soothing contrast to the numerous blue accessories.
Have fun crafting and giving!
Don’t Miss: Same Day Cake Delivery New York
Adding The Support Strings
Cut 2 pieces of string that are long enough to travel the height of your tiered cake twice . Pick up and flip the cake circle base over so you can see the back brown side of it. Then take the first sting and feed one end into a hole and the other end in the hole on the opposite side of the cake circle.Take the second piece of string and put one end into one of the 2 remaining holes and the other end in the last remaining hole. The two strings should cross each other for added support.Flip the cake circle base over and it should look like the 2nd picture.
How Do You Make A Jeep Out Of Diapers
Jeep Diaper Cake Instructions Take a size 2 diaper and roll it into a log shape, securing it with a rubber band. Repeat until you have 32 rolled diapers. Use a large rubber band to group 7 of these rolled diapers in a wheel shape, with empty space in the center for the axle. Repeat until you have 4 wheels.
Also Check: Gold Wedding Flutes And Cake Server Set
How About A Diaper Bouquet
If youre feeling especially ambitious, you could also try a diaper bouquet. Each bouquet would only have as many diapers as you feel like rolling up. Option: Make a bunch of mini bouquets for the tables at a baby shower. And, of course, if you want to be slightly more unique or want something more colorful, dont be limited by diapers. You can also roll baby washcloths, socks and bibs and use those to make flowers for your bouquets, too.
Supplies To Make A Diaper Cake
- Diapers typically cheaper by the case. Youll want at least 80. I prefer to get a case so that I know I have enough. Consider the age of the baby with regards to the size its usually better to err on the side of bigger, just in case. I bought Pampers brand as that is what was on sale at the time.TIP: check out sales at big box stores for case sales.
- Elastic bands I got a bag of various sizes from the dollar store. Youll want some small ones for the individual diapers, but youll also want some larger ones to hold the whole thing together. Remember, you can always wrap the larger ones around a couple of times so dont worry about getting a mix of sizes.
- Long cardboard tube something like a paper roll towel. I used a tube that my vinyl comes across. This adds stability to the diaper cake
- A piece of cardboard to act as the base I just used an Amazon box. Just cut it to size after the fact. No one will see it.
- Box cutters to cut the cardboard
- Painters tape or masking tape this secures the diaper cake to the cardboard base
- Long skewers or even take out chopsticks these will help stabilize the layers together
- Wide ribbon it has to be wide enough to cover your elastic bands, but not wider than the length of the diapers. I got burlap ribbon from the dollar store that was 2 inches wide. The colour and style can be anything you want to match the style or theme of the baby shower.
- Glue gun to help secure the ribbon.
Recommended Reading: Pool Mat For Wedding Cake Steps
Decorating The Diaper Cake
Vintage Travel Diaper Cake
WOW! Look at that diaper cake! Amazing unique diaper cake for vintage travel theme baby shower. Loving it!
Globe, compass, charms, treasure chest, towels, diapers this gender neutral diaper cake from Tiers Of Joy By Us has it all!
It can be hard to take apart an awesome diaper cake but the items will look great in an adventure begins nursery.
Recommended Reading: Where To Get Edible Pictures For Cakes