What You Need To Make This Recipe
Oil youll need to use an oil with a high smoke point to fry as a low smoke point oil can leave your food with an unpleasant taste. I recommend using vegetable oil, peanut oil, or canola oil for frying.
All-purpose flour regular all-purpose flour is perfect for this. Although if you only have cake flour, it can work as well. Bread flour can cause the batter to be too dry due to the high protein content.
Baking powder the baking powder helps the cakes puff up as it fries. Make sure to double-check that yours has not expired and purchase a new one if it has.
Icing For Cinnamon Rolls
Im not going to lie, this is my favorite part. Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla, powdered sugar, and a little salt in a large bowl .
You can use any kind of icing or even create a glaze for these if youd like. Youll want to ensure the rolls are fairly cooled or the butter in the icing will melt.
Funnel Cake Recipe Tips
To make these funnel cakes, youll start out by heating some oil in a large skillet or pot. I suggest sticking with a neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil to fry these funnel cakes, I used canola oil in this recipe since its what I always have on hand.Youll want to heat the oil to about 350°F before you pour in the batter. If the oil is not hot enough then the funnel cakes can absorb too much of the oil and turn out a little greasy.I suggest using a thermometer if you have one, this is the one that I like to use. The amount of oil really depends on how wide or tall your pot is. You want oil to fill about 1/3 of the pot. I use a little more than 1 quart for my 4 and 1/2 quart Dutch oven. Do not pour used oil down the sink drain. Allow to cool, then pour into an empty container and discard in the trash. Or reuse it.
Don’t Miss: Wilton Cake Pans Servings
S To Make Funnel Truffles At Dwelling:
Read more: How to make a flag cake
Methods to pour batter for funnel truffles:
The identify funnel cake really comes from the truth that the batter is usually poured right into a funnel after which poured into the recent oil. There are different choices although in case you dont have a funnel.
- Funnel: Discover a funnel with a ¼ inch gap, maintain a finger or thumb over the outlet within the backside, pour the batter into the funnel, then launch the batter over the oil. Pour the batter right into a swirl, criss crossing forwards and backwards.
- Measuring Cup: add the batter to the measuring cup and pour the batter in a gradual and regular stream into the oil.
- Squeeze Bottle: be sure that the lid has a gap about ¼ inch large to permit the batter to circulation simply. That is my favourite technique, its tremendous straightforward to fill the bottle and make one after one other earlier than having to refill!
Read more: How to make a bud light cakes
What Is A Funnel Cake
If youve been wondering Is funnel cake a cake?, the answer is no. Funnel cake is a lovely light batter fried until golden brown, most often topped with powdered sugar. It is a sweet and delicious fair food that no one really thinks to make at home, and yet it makes me wonder, why not?!
They are actually incredibly easy to make. If you can stir together a simple batter and heat a bit of oil in a pan, you can make this easy homemade funnel cake recipe!
You May Like: Sams Club Wedding Cupcakes
Funnel Cake Topping Or Dipping Sauce Ideas:
Try some of these other ideas for toppings. You can also use some of these ideas for dipping if you would rather not put it on top of the dessert.
- Powdered sugar this is the traditional topping and still one of my favorites!
- Cinnamon and sugar- Mix this together and sprinkle on top.
- Ice cream and hot fudge Put several in a bowl and top with ice cream and fudge. Yum! This is so good.
- chocolate syrup and whipped cream- I like to put chocolate sauce in a ramekin and dip them in it.
- fruit Strawberries and blueberries are delicious on top. Go ahead and add some whipped cream too.
- Strawberry sauce this is delicious!
- Pie filling- You can either put them in a bowl and top with pie filling or use the pie filling as a dipping sauce. We like apple, cherry and blueberry pie filling with whipped cream.
My kids love dippings sauces so this is always really fun for them.
Homemade Funnel Cake Recipe
This easy homemade funnel cake recipe tastes just like the classic fair favorite. Top these with some powdered sugar or your favorite topping for a simple treat that everyone will love!
Aside from all of the rides, one of my favorite things about the fair is the huge funnel cakes. Since the fair only comes around once a year, I decided to recreate this classic fair favorite right at home. And let me tell you, these are SO easy to make and they taste just like the ones at the fair!
So what is a funnel cake? Funnel cakes are made by pouring batter through a funnel into hot oil and swirling in a circular motion. The batter is fried until its lightly golden brown then topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or your favorite topping.
These funnel cakes also taste kind of similar to donuts, but the batter is thinner and crispier. This recipe will make 10-12 funnel cakes, but you can easily cut the recipe in half to just make 5-6!
Also Check: Betty Crocker Chocolate Cake Recipes
Funnel Cake Nutrition Facts
- Jojo Recipes
- Recipes Made with Mother’s Love
This is the best Funnel Cake recipe of all time! Homemade funnel cakes are the perfect treat for weekend festivities. Everyone loves the funnel cakes from the carnivals and fair. We love that we always have the ingredients for the funnel cake batter on hand. Funnel cakes are a blast to make and come together super fast. Now you can make them at home with this easy funnel cake recipe. Funnel cakes are made by pouring batter through a funnel into hot oil and swirling in a circular motion.The batter is fried until its lightly golden brown then topped with a sprinkle of powdered sugar or your favorite topping. These funnel cakes also taste kind of similar to donuts, but the batter is thinner and crispier.Traditionally funnel cake batter is also poured through a funnel into the oil, but you can use a squeeze bottle or just pour it into a liquid measuring cup and pour it into the oil that way. As youre pouring it, youll want to make circular motions to get that classic funnel cake look.These dont have to be perfect either, which is the beauty of this recipe! Weve been making these for so long that theyve become go-to treats in the family. We want them to be the same for your family, so here are some of our best tips for making homemade funnel cakes.
Best Funnel Cake Recipe
How To Make Funnel Cakes Without A Funnel
With all the kitchen gadgets that a good cake has is it really necessary to purchase yet another one. Absolutely not! I simply use a large measuring cup with a spout. Just pour it in a slow steady stream. Pour in a circular swirl follow by crisscrossing zig zag lines connecting the swirl together. You will find after 1 or 2 cakes that you have this down pat and it becomes an effortless breeze.
Read Also: Wedding Cake Stairs For Pools
To Make Ahead Of Time
These cinnamon rolls can be made ahead of time and refrigerated overnight. Once rolled, place the rolls in a greased 9×13 pan and cover with plastic wrap.
Remove the rolls from the fridge, remove the plastic wrap and cover with a towel. With the oven turned off, place rolls in the oven and place a bowl or pan of very hot water in the oven next to the rolls. Allow to rise 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
What Toppings Go On A Funnel Cake
Ohhh the toppings!!! There are so many delicious options! If it is sweet, it can go on a funnel cake! Here are a few to try:
- Plain: powdered sugar
- Strawberries and Cream: powdered sugar, strawberries, whipped cream
- Cookies and Cream: powdered sugar, crushed oreos, vanilla ice cream, and chocolate sauce
- Caramel Apple: powdered sugar, caramel, apple pie filling, and whipped cream
- Churro: cinnamon sugar, caramel syrup, and whipped cream
Read Also: Cuban Opera Cake
How To Make Funnel Cake Bites:
First, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Once the dry ingredients are combined, set aside.
Second, get out another mixing bowl and mix together the wet ingredients.
Once the milk and eggs are combined, slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Keep stirring until the mixture is smooth.
Next, add oil to your pan. You want to add about 2 of oil so the batter will have enough room. Heat the oil on medium heat until the oil is hot. This normally takes about 2 to 4 minutes.
Once the oil is hot, drop the funnel cake batter by the spoonful into the pan with hot oil.
Make sure each side gets golden brown. You can use a slotted spoon to help flip them. It does not take long and normally just 60-90 seconds per side.
Finally, line a plate with paper towels and put the bites on the plate. This will help catch the excess grease.
Top with powdered sugar right away. These are best served warm.
Keep repeating the process until you have fried all the batter.
Best Funnel Cake Toppings
The most difficult thing about making homemade funnel cakes might be deciding what to top them with ).
Traditionally, they are served with a generous sprinkling of powdered sugar. But there are so many fun toppings to try!
- Fruit: Fresh sliced strawberries, pineapples, or an assortment of berries!
- Ice Cream: A scoop of your favorite ice cream, like classic vanilla or mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Sauce: Drizzle with chocolate sauce, homemade nutella, caramel sauce, or even whipped cream!
- Sprinkles: Try cinnamon sugar like a churro or classic rainbow sprinkles.
Whatever you choose, just be sure you eat them while theyre fresh and warm!
You May Like: Baskin Robbins Sugar Free Ice Cream Cake
How To Make Funnel Cake With Pancake Batter
Sometimes, all we need is a traditional, favourite recipe, mixed up a bit to make something new. Thats why many people always ask about how to make funnel cake with pancake batter.
Well, dear food lovers, prepare your hearts to be filled with something great, and lets cook together a nice funnel cake batter with pancake mix!
Why This Recipe Works
Recreating your favorite fair recipe is not hard at all. In fact, it will take you back to the County Fair while enjoying it in your backyard.
This is the best funnel cake recipe! Why? Because its be made countless times and gets rave reviews.
You only need 8 ingredients for this recipe and all the ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
And you dont have to worry about having a special fryer because you dont need it. A simple electric skillet will do the trick!
Don’t Miss: Cake Pool Steps
How To Make This Funnel Cake Recipe
To make these funnel cakes, youll start out by heating some oil in a large skillet or pot. I suggest sticking with a neutral oil like canola or vegetable oil to fry these funnel cakes, I used canola oil in this recipe since its what I always have on hand.
Then, whisk together your dry ingredients:
- All-purpose flour: Be sure to spoon your flour into your measuring cup and level it off with the back of a knife. If theres too much flour in your funnel cake batter it can be too thick to pour through a funnel .
- Baking Powder & Salt: These are two common ingredients for funnel cakes, the baking powder helps them puff up a little as theyre frying.
- Cinnamon & Nutmeg: These two spices are optional, but I suggest using them. They both add a little spice to these cakes that make them taste just like the fair version.
Then, youll whisk together the wet ingredients:
- Milk: I use whole milk in this recipe, but 2%, 1%, or even skim milk would be fine.
- Granulated Sugar: Since these are topped with powdered sugar, theyre just lightly sweetened with 1/4 cup of sugar.
- Eggs & Vanilla: Youll also be using two large eggs and some pure vanilla extract.
Once youve mixed up the dry and wet ingredients, youll whisk them together until just combined. The batter will be a little thin, but this is exactly what you want!
Then, just top them with your favorite toppings! For these funnel cakes, I sifted some powdered sugar on top then added some sliced strawberries and homemade whipped cream.
How To Make Funnel Cake: The Staple Fair Food
Funnel cakes are usually served dusted with powdered sugar, but they can also be served with jelly, jam, cinnamon, fresh fruit, chocolate and other toppings.
If you travel the world, you will find there are many variations on the traditional funnel cake. Here are some examples:
- Germany: The German funnel cake is called Straube or Strieble and it is quite similar to the American version.
- Finland: Commonly served on May Day, funnel cake is called tippaleipa which translates to droplet bread.
- Lithuania: In Lithuania, the dessert is normally made in early spring to empty last years honey stock and make room for a new one. It is called skruzdeylynas or ants nest.
- Asia: In Asia, there is a dessert similar to the funnel cake called a jalebi. Unlike the traditional funnel cake, these do not call for baking powder, so they have a chewier texture.
- The Philippines: The Philippines serve a variation that is considered the native donut. It is called kumukunsi and it is made with rice flour, duck eggs and sugar. It is molded into rope like strands so that is similar in appearance to the funnel cake although the taste and consistency is more like that of a creamy pancake.
Our version of the funnel cake is a bit more traditional and is a great way to get familiar with the recipe before getting more adventurous. Serve it to your family to give them a taste of the county fair and a treat they are sure to love.
You May Like: Dq Make Your Own Cake