Quick & Easy Chocolate Cake
On a few weeks ago I set up polls to see what types of recipes you guys were interested in. It looks like you wanted to see more quick and easy desserts with some intricate show-stoppers sprinkled in between.
Im right there with you! I love a good three layer cake , but Im ALL about desserts you can make on a whim. Nothing too fussy, no hard to find ingredients, and nothing overly time consuming. I have three little children after all!!
This easy chocolate cake is one weve really grown to love. You make it in one bowl, in under an hour and it tastes amazing!
Run into the kitchen, grab a 9×9 inch baking pan, a hand mixer and lets get baking!
What Frosting Goes Well With Chocolate Cake
There are lots of frosting recipes that pair well with chocolate cake. When I make this chocolate cake my go to frosting recipes are Old-Fashioned Chocolate Frosting or chocolate buttercream frosting. I am a big fan of double chocolate cakes. When I updated the photos for this chocolate cake I used the Old-Fashioned Chocolate Frosting, which is thinner frosting. If you are wanting thick frosting layers then you will want to go with the chocolate buttercream.
If double chocolate cake is not your preferred way to enjoy chocolate cake there are lots of tasty frosting recipes that pair perfectly with this homemade chocolate cake recipe that makes for tasty chocolate cake combinations. Check out some of my favorite frosting recipes that I love using when I make chocolate cake and want to change things up.
The Best Homemade Chocolate Cake
If you are looking for an awesome Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe then this is it! The best Chocolate Cake recipe is a perfect rich chocolate cake recipe is one that I think everyone needs to have in their recipe collection. A chocolate cake that will wow everyone anytime you make it but is simple enough that you can make it anytime you want to. This easy from scratch chocolate cake recipe is the only one I make and I have made it for years and gotten compliments every single time.
This from scratch chocolate cake recipe is perfectly moist, perfectly fudgy and is seriously the best chocolate cake recipe ever. I love making homemade cakes because they are always so much better then anything you get in the store. But I also know baking from scratch can be a scary thought, so I made this cake recipe to be perfect for everyone. This easy chocolate cake recipe is perfect for everyone from the beginning baker to the experienced.
Read Also: Wilton Cake Servings
To Use Butter And Other Oils:
I have tested the chocolate cake recipe with additional oils, as well as butter. Ive tested using an equal amount of melted coconut oil to the vegetable oil called for in the recipe. Ive also tested using the same volume of melted butter in place of the oils in the chocolate cake. While it does make the cake texture slightly different, it is still delicious and worth trying if youd prefer to use butter in place of oils in your chocolate cake.
Whew! See what I mean! This is the chocolate cake of everyones dreams, I think!
Do let me know how you like it.
Here are a few additional ways I like to make this cake!
If you are looking for cupcakes from this recipe, Ive shared my recipe for the best chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. This recipe makes a perfect dozen so that you can scale the recipe to make as many chocolate cupcakes as you need! Talk about easy!
I love this version! It is a delicious, scaled-down version that is just the thing for potlucks, reunions, tailgates, and travels perfectly! Ive also scaled-down the frosting so that has the frosting to cake ratio that my family prefers. It is a definite winner!
Scaled for a crowd, this recipe bakes beautifully in a rimmed baking sheet and is perfect for all sorts of get-togethers. Think of it as the 9×13s big brother! This recipe features Fudge Icing, but you can definitely substitute the icing for whatever you fancy!
Ingredients For Easy Chocolate Cake
- Sugar: I use a combination of equal parts brown sugar and white granulated sugar. This gives the cake the perfect amount of sweetness to bring out the chocolate flavor and keeps it moist.
- Baking soda: Is the leavener in this cake. It is also used along with the vinegar to make the softest cake ever!
- Vinegar: Along with baking soda causes a reaction that makes the cake fluffier and softer. An easy tip that makes all the difference!
- Vanilla: Adds the perfect amount of flavor to the cake.
- Oil: I use 1/3 cup of vegetable oil in this recipe. Canola oil, coconut oil or even melted butter can be used in its place.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: I always recommend using high-quality cocoa powder when possible, especially in simple recipes like this easy everyday chocolate cake where it really stands out.
- Salt: Also helps to bring out the flavors in this cake. A little bit goes a long way.
- Flour: We like to use all purpose flour in this recipe versus cake flour. Gluten free flour can be substituted to make this cake gluten free.
- Coffee: Nothing goes together quite as well as chocolate and coffee. This easy chocolate cake recipe is made super moist and rich from the cup of strong coffee added to the batter. The coffee flavor isnt strong. Rather, it compliments the chocolate and elevates that flavor similar to the vanilla extract.
Recommended Reading: Sams Club Birthday Cake Book
Mixing Dry & Wet Ingredients
6. Pour 1 cup water .
7. Pour 1/3 cup oil . I have used organic virgin coconut oil. Do use some light oil otherwise the cake may smell oily.
8. Next add 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Yes this cake needs more vanilla than the other recipes. However if you prefer less you may use only half of it.
9. Add 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice or vinegar. Make sure you use good quality vinegar. I have used organic apple cider vinegar.
10. Mix all these well gently with a whisk or a spatula just until well combined.
11. You will notice that the cake batter begins to bubble up. The acidic ingredient vinegar or lemon juice begins to react with the baking soda. Do not over mix at this stage, it may make the cake dense.
How Does Dump Cake Work
If youve never made a dump cake before you might not understand what they are.
A dump cake is a super simple dessert idea where layer the ingredients in a baking dish and bake. No stirring required.
The liquid from any fruit filling and butter mixes with the dry cake mix to create a delicious crust on top.
While this chocolate version doesnt have any fruit, the melted butter and milk work together to make a decadent chocolate dessert.
For this dump cake recipe, though, its kind of inverted. Instead of the crust being on the top, its on the bottom.
You May Like: Wedding Cake Swimming Pool Steps
Recipe For Easy Chocolate Loaf Cake
If I have said it once, I have said it a 100 times, I am not a big cake or chocolate fan, WHAT!? I know, you probably cannot be friends with me :-).
However the most important men in my life are HUMONGOUS chocolate cake fans, so I am always on the hunt for a quick and easy chocolate cake recipe.
When visiting my BFF a few weeks back, she made this incredibly easy, light, chocolate loaf cake recipe she found in a Wall Street Journal article. I was smitten, YES ME?!
Supplies To Make This Recipe
If you are a chocolate fan, you should also check out these delicious desserts.
- Another super simple dessert recipe to have on hand is this Strawberry Jello Angel Food Cake dessert! Its my most popular recipe!
- Have you ever made Ice Cream Nachos? Your kids will love this yummy dessert idea.
- Are you a dessert and cocktail fan? Try out one of my easy Alcohol Infused Cupcakes!
- How cute is this Make Your Own Mini Dump Cake Party Idea from Celebrations at Home?
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Nothing Bundt Cake
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe
Dessert 45 mins
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe A one bowl chocolate cake recipe that is quick, easy, and delicious! Updated with gluten-free, dairy-free, and egg-free options!
The best chocolate cake recipe. Ever? There are plenty of claims for the best chocolate cake recipe. I get that. But with one bite of this decadent, moist chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, every single person around the table commented that this was the best chocolate cake theyd ever tasted.
So as for my house, this chocolate cake recipe now holds that honor.
As the compliments continued, I didnt begin to tell them how easy it was to make.
In all honesty, it is probably one of the easiest cakes Ive made in a long time, really, but I just smiled and thanked them.
As we continued on gobbling up the cake, drinking our coffee or iced cold milk, the compliments just kept coming.
Then the requests for the recipe started.
Thats generally when you know that folks really like what youve made if they ask for the recipe and tell you for what event they plan to serve it.
As a cook, that really is one of the highest compliments you can receive well, at least in my book.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
The cakes and the chocolate frosting can both be made ahead of time. Allow the cakes to cool completely and then wrap each layer in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to three month. Cakes can be frosted while frozen.
The homemade chocolate frosting will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Remove the frosting from the fridge about an hour before youre ready to frost your cake to allow it to come to room temperature.
Recommended Reading: Oreo Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Baskin Robbins
Baking Times For Easy Chocolate Cake
- Bundt Pan | Check at about 35-40 minutes, if a few crumbs stick thats fine, if gooey, place back in oven at 5 minute intervals. Mine was great at 40 minutes.
- Pullman or Long Loaf Pan | Check at 35-40 minutes, mine was perfect at 42 minutes.
- 2 Standard Loaf Pans | Mine were great at 43 minutes, check at 40.
- 10 round pan | about 50 minutes, check at 40 minutes.
Remove cake from oven and allow to cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Lift cake using parchment paper or run a butter knife around cake to gently release, inverting onto wire rack, peeling off parchment.
Allow to cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar or frosting.
What Makes Chocolate Cake Moist
This perfect combination of oil, milk and boiling water makes this recipe stand out without having to use melted chocolate. The fats in the oil, protein in milk and temperature of the water makes the chocolate flavour develop nicely while baking and providing the essentials for that moist crumb youre looking for.
Dont over-mix OR over-bake. This chocolate cake only needs about 30-35 minutes in the oven, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Recommended Reading: Copycat Nothing Bundt Cake
Quick And Easy Chocolate Dump Cake Recipe
There are nights when you crave a rich and decadent dessert but dont want anything elaborate.
This is that recipe!
This quick and easy Chocolate Dump Cake is full of chocolate flavor. And the best part? It takes only a few minutes to make!
Dump Cake Recipes are my favorite to make when I need to satisfy my sweet tooth and this one is perfect for chocolate lovers.
Some links in this post may be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, I earn from qualifying purchases by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. I also participate in affiliate programs for other retailers.
Easy Chocolate Dump Cake
I know, I know. The name is terrible. Just as my teen boys. And with this chocolate version, its even worse.
But if you can get passed the gross name of this simple dessert youll end up with a delicious treat.
My mom first made Cherry Pineapple Dump Cake when I was a kid. And I totally remember the buttery, golden cake mix crust.
As a grown up, I stick with fruity versions for the most part.
But when I made this Chocolate Dump Cake with Candy Bars last year for Halloween, a whole new world opened up.
A dump cake with chocolate cake mix just makes sense. Like, how could that be wrong, you know.
Do you love dump cakes? and get an exclusive dump cake recipe not posted on my site!
Also Check: Dairy Queen Rainbow Cake
How Do You Make The Best Chocolate Cake
- Make sure you preheat your oven before starting. Weve included temperatures for standard AND fan or convention ovens.
- If using springform pans, note that they are NOT 100% leakproof. Very thin cake batters such as this one will leak through the base. To combat this issue, line the base with parchment paper coming up where the sides meets the base to create a cover. Place a baking sheet on the shelf below the cake pan to catch any stray drips. Dont put cake pans directly on the pan as the heat will effect the base of your cakes.
- Let cakes cool COMPLETELY before frosting. You can make this chocolate cake the day before and frost the next day.
How To Make Chocolate Cake
One of the nicest things about this chocolate cake recipe is how easy it is. Unlike traditional sponge cakes, which rely on whipped egg whites for a light and fluffy texture, this easy recipe uses baking powder and baking soda to raise the batter.
- Prep Oven & Cake Pans: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, and dust them with flour. Line the bottom of each pan with a circle of parchment paper for easy removal.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to the bowl. Stir until just combined. Pour in the boiling water and mix until smooth. The batter will seem a little runny.
- Bake: Pour the chocolate cake batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the center of each cake round is set.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
Recommended Reading: Mrs Fields Birthday Cookies