How To Make Chocolate Ganache
I top the Chocolate Cake off with a simple Chocolate Ganache. The ganache is super easy to whip up. To make the chocolate ganache melt semi sweet chocolate chips and heavy cream in the microwave until smooth and melted. You can also cook the ganache over a double boiler. Allow the ganache to cool for about 2-3 minutes. Spread on top of the cooled cake and place in the fridge to allow it to set. This makes it a lot easier to cut the cake!
Ice Cream Cake Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup unbleachedall-purpose flour
- 7/8 cup granulated sugar, plus 3 Tbsp
- 1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract, plus 1 tsp
- 1 jar thick fudge sauce
- 48 oz. strawberry ice cream or cookies and cream ice cream
- 2 cups heavy cream
How To Measure Ingredients
If youve followed my blog for a while, you know I like to measure my ingredients using a scale. Its faster, cleaner, and more accurate than using measuring cups BUT for some of my easier and beginner cakes like this one, I also include the measurements in cups because honestly, the cake is so forgiving you dont need to be super accurate.
When measuring flour with cups, its important to spoon the flour into the cup then level it off with a knife. Do not pack your measuring cup or you could end up with too much flour which will make your cake dry and hard.
Read Also: Nothing Bundt Cakes Gluten Free Ingredients
How To Make Chocolate Cake
One of the nicest things about this chocolate cake recipe is how easy it is. Unlike traditional sponge cakes, which rely on whipped egg whites for a light and fluffy texture, this easy recipe uses baking powder and baking soda to raise the batter.
- Prep Oven & Cake Pans: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray two 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray, and dust them with flour. Line the bottom of each pan with a circle of parchment paper for easy removal.
- Combine Dry Ingredients: In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined.
- Add Wet Ingredients: Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla to the bowl. Stir until just combined. Pour in the boiling water and mix until smooth. The batter will seem a little runny.
- Bake: Pour the chocolate cake batter evenly into the two prepared cake pans. Place the pans in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the center of each cake round is set.
- Allow to cool before frosting.
How To Make Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Combine all the ingredients in a microwave-safe 8 oz mug, except the chocolate chips. You can use a large mug, but the cake will not reach the top.
- Whisk well until a smooth, lump-free batter forms.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips on top of the mug cake.
- Bake in the microwave for about 1 minute. Let the mug cake cool for a few minutes, and enjoy!
You May Like: Chocolate And Vanilla Ice Cream Cake
How To Make Chocolate Cake:
Mix Dry Ingredients. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
Addwet ingredients:. Eggs, buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix until well combined.
Add boiling water. Stir to combine . Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool in the pan for a few minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Cool completely before frosting.
Assemble and Frost: Place one cake layer on serving tray. Spread a generous amount of frosting on top. Add second cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
A Family Fav Homemade Chocolate Cake
We love dessert, and especially cake which is why we have so many cake recipes here on the site
Ive tried several made from scratch chocolate cake recipes over the years, and I finally found a winner! I prefer cakes that are dense and tender, more like brownies than cake from a cake mix. This homemade chocolate cake was perfectly fudgy and moist.
Another thing I love about this cake recipe is that it calls for simple ingredients that I always have on hand. Nothing beats being able to make one of your favorite cakes without having to run to the store for ingredients.
Read Also: Future Mr And Mrs Cake Topper
Easy Homemade Chocolate Cake Recipe
Im such a softie when it comes to cake! My family knows this, so when they want to give me a special treat, its often one of my favorite bakery cakes. So indulgent! I love when they do that.
And, maybe a bit ironically, I also turn to cake when I want to do something special for my family! Making a cake from scratch is one of my favorite ways to show them that I care. Plus, its delicious. For everyone. Including me.
This particular cake is how can I say this? Perfect. Yep, perfect is the word! Its thick, fudgy, and moist while still being light. It goes beautifully with a whipped chocolate buttercream or any other type of frosting that you enjoy. This is the kind of cake that my kids beg for on their birthdays, because its just that special!
How To Make Easy Chocolate Cake Step
Read Also: Nothing Bundt Cakes Las Vegas Delivery
Ingredients For Easy Chocolate Cake
- Sugar: I use a combination of equal parts brown sugar and white granulated sugar. This gives the cake the perfect amount of sweetness to bring out the chocolate flavor and keeps it moist.
- Baking soda: Is the leavener in this cake. It is also used along with the vinegar to make the softest cake ever!
- Vinegar: Along with baking soda causes a reaction that makes the cake fluffier and softer. An easy tip that makes all the difference!
- Vanilla: Adds the perfect amount of flavor to the cake.
- Oil: I use 1/3 cup of vegetable oil in this recipe. Canola oil, coconut oil or even melted butter can be used in its place.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder: I always recommend using high-quality cocoa powder when possible, especially in simple recipes like this easy everyday chocolate cake where it really stands out.
- Salt: Also helps to bring out the flavors in this cake. A little bit goes a long way.
- Flour: We like to use all purpose flour in this recipe versus cake flour. Gluten free flour can be substituted to make this cake gluten free.
- Coffee: Nothing goes together quite as well as chocolate and coffee. This easy chocolate cake recipe is made super moist and rich from the cup of strong coffee added to the batter. The coffee flavor isnt strong. Rather, it compliments the chocolate and elevates that flavor similar to the vanilla extract.
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram and hashtag it #alishasdessertsafari
Dont forget to subscribe to get new recipes every week! Follow me on social media for baking tips, food styling and dessert recipes.
I hope you found my post Easy chocolate cake without oven helpful. If you have any queries, feel free to post them in the comments.
Read Also: Nothing But Bundt Cakes Menu And Prices
Remove Cakes From Pans
Let the cakes cool for 20-30 minutes after removing them from the oven. Carefully remove baked cakes from the pans. Peel off the parchment round if its sticking to the cake. Wrap slightly warm cakes into food wrap or into plastic food safe bags and let cool completely before using. Wrapping them while they are still warm keeps the cakes super moist and delicious.
How To Make The Easiest Chocolate Cake
Also Check: Gold Medal Ribbon Cake Baskin Robbins
How Do You Make The Best Chocolate Cake
- Make sure you preheat your oven before starting. Weve included temperatures for standard AND fan or convention ovens.
- If using springform pans, note that they are NOT 100% leakproof. Very thin cake batters such as this one will leak through the base. To combat this issue, line the base with parchment paper coming up where the sides meets the base to create a cover. Place a baking sheet on the shelf below the cake pan to catch any stray drips. Dont put cake pans directly on the pan as the heat will effect the base of your cakes.
- Let cakes cool COMPLETELY before frosting. You can make this chocolate cake the day before and frost the next day.
To Use Butter And Other Oils:
I have tested the chocolate cake recipe with additional oils, as well as butter. Ive tested using an equal amount of melted coconut oil to the vegetable oil called for in the recipe. Ive also tested using the same volume of melted butter in place of the oils in the chocolate cake. While it does make the cake texture slightly different, it is still delicious and worth trying if youd prefer to use butter in place of oils in your chocolate cake.
Whew! See what I mean! This is the chocolate cake of everyones dreams, I think!
Do let me know how you like it.
Here are a few additional ways I like to make this cake!
If you are looking for cupcakes from this recipe, Ive shared my recipe for the best chocolate cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. This recipe makes a perfect dozen so that you can scale the recipe to make as many chocolate cupcakes as you need! Talk about easy!
I love this version! It is a delicious, scaled-down version that is just the thing for potlucks, reunions, tailgates, and travels perfectly! Ive also scaled-down the frosting so that has the frosting to cake ratio that my family prefers. It is a definite winner!
Scaled for a crowd, this recipe bakes beautifully in a rimmed baking sheet and is perfect for all sorts of get-togethers. Think of it as the 9×13s big brother! This recipe features Fudge Icing, but you can definitely substitute the icing for whatever you fancy!
Don’t Miss: How Big Is A Quarter Sheet Cake
Tips For Decorating A Cake
You dont need a lot of fancy tools to decorate a cake but it helps to at least have an offset spatula, bench scraper, and turntable. You can find inexpensive cake decorating sets online or at cake decorating stores.
If you need more information on how to , you can follow my easy tutorial on how to make your first cake.
How To Make A Chocolate Cake
Making this easy chocolate cake takes just a few simple steps!
You May Like: Fat Daddio’s Sheet Cake Pan
The Best Ice Cream Cake
This is truly one of the ultimate celebrations cakes! You get four layers of distinctive decadence in each slice of cake.
And with its combination of homemade layers and store-bought layers its simple enough yet perfectly impressive enough. The cake and whipped cream are made fresh while the ice cream and fudge sauce are store-bought to save time.
I dont really care to admit how many slices I was able to polish off within a weeks time. Lets just say this cake is dangerously delicious!
The chocolate cake is perfectly fudgy and you wouldnt believe how easy the batter is to make. It was inspired by my Easy Chocolate Cake but I adjusted it for a slightly smaller size and swapped buttermilk for sour cream so it didnt freeze icy.
I recommend making the cake a day in advance so it has plenty of time to firm up completely in the freezer before serving.
Spoil yourself this weekend with this chocolate ice cream cake, no need to wait for a birthday to make something this tempting!
Easy Chocolate Cake Recipe
Cakes from scratch tend to have a preconceived notion that they are hard to make. This could not be further from the truth!
Im going to show you how to make a chocolate cake from scratch that is so easy! You will never buy a box mix again after you taste this chocolate flavor.
This cake is so moist and delicious and makes the best birthday cake. We make this for birthdays, holidays, special occasions and more! Sometimes, just because.
Vanilla Buttercream Icing is my favorite but you can certainly use whatever you prefer on this yummy cake. Just use a good homemade icing. Its worth it and easy too.
Once you see how easy this cake is, you might want to try this Easy Vanilla Cake Recipe.
You will need a 9×13 pan for this recipe. I love my Wilton and its never failed me.
Its worth it to make sure you have a good pan for this recipe and others. You can see the one I use here. Its perfect for so many different recipes.
If you want to make a layer cake, feel free to use two 9? round cake pans for this recipe instead of the 9×13 pan. These are the ones I use if you need a new set.
Also, I slice my rounds in half to create 4 rounds before frosting. I use this to level my cakes and to slice the rounds in half. Its so handy and makes this process so much easier.
Don’t Miss: Does Whole Foods Sell Vegan Cakes
More Loaf Cake Recipes
This orange loaf cake recipe is a sweet change from a lemon loaf!
If you’ve ever had sticky toffee pudding you know just how delicious it truly is, this sticky toffee loaf cake is a fun spin on the classic!
You’d never know zucchini was in this double chocolate zucchini loaf cake recipe.
Please let me know if you make this recipe by leaving a star rating and comment below!
The Best Chocolate Cake Recipe Ever
It was great to hear that they thought the cake was just as good after their last bite as they thought it was with their first.
Heres another great thing about this recipe. The cake batter really can be made in a bowl without the use of a heavy duty mixer. Of course, that just makes things easier, but this is easily a recipe my Grandmother would have enjoyed making in her tiny kitchen with a whisk and a bowl. And Im sure it would have turned out perfectly, too.
Im not going to kid you, this makes a very rich, moist chocolate cake recipe. So if you are a faint of heart chocolate cake person, this is not the cake for you.
Based on the Old Fashioned Hersheys recipe, I sort of went a bit heavy-handed with some changes testing cake after cake until I got it just the way I wanted it, but the end result was oh so worth it. The crumbs left on the plate gave that away.
You May Like: Can I Get An Ice Cream Cake Delivered
Easy Chocolate Cake Ingredients
No fancy ingredients here but some people ask me about substitutions.
This recipe calls for hot coffee which intensifies the flavor of the chocolate. It doesnt make the cake taste like coffee at all. If you dont want to use coffee, you can substitute a dark beer like Guinness or just hot water.
Im using Hersheys cocoa powder for this recipe because its a natural cocoa powder that is a little acidic. That acid reacts with the baking soda and actually tenderizes the gluten and makes the cake extra moist.
If you dont have Hersheys cocoa powder or want to use Dutch-processed cocoa powder like Cocoa Barry extra brut , then replace the baking soda with baking powder.
The oil in this recipe all makes the cake extra moist, if you want your cake to be even more moist, you can add an extra ounce of oil. Oil-based cakes always stay softer than butter-based cakes but they are a bit more delicate.