How To Make The Best Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
This frosting is outstanding! Smooth and creamy! If youll follow my steps youll have the best frosting this side of the Mississippi!
In a fine mesh strainer, over a larger bowl, place 3/4 cups of unsweetened cocoa powder and 3/4 cups of Hersheys Special Dark Chocolate cocoa powder and 5 1/3 cups of powder sugar.
TIP:Gently shake through the mesh strainer. This will eliminate any lumps or clumps of the powder cocoa and sugar. Which will create a smoother frosting.
In the bowl of your mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream 3/4 cup of butter until light and fluffy.
Add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the milk and vanilla.
Beat until smooth and creamy and the desired spreading consistency.
Lets stop here for a second! I knew the minute this frosting came together that I had finally recreated that deep dark rich creamy frosting. Its perfect! Ill never make another chocolate frosting again. This is it!
I could have face planted it in this bowl and Im NOT a huge frosting fan! This stuff is addictive its so good.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
The cakes and the chocolate frosting can both be made ahead of time. Allow the cakes to cool completely and then wrap each layer in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze for up to three month. Cakes can be frosted while frozen.
The homemade chocolate frosting will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two weeks, or in the freezer for up to three months. Remove the frosting from the fridge about an hour before youre ready to frost your cake to allow it to come to room temperature.
Frosting Ideas For Hersheys Chocolate Cake
Hersheys recommends frosting this cake with their Perfectly Chocolate chocolate frosting, and it is pretty tasty if a little sweet.
But if youre looking for something different, try one of these great options:
- Peanut butter frosting made with smooth peanut butter, butter, and powdered sugar.
- Raspberry swiss meringue buttercream will give a beautiful color contrast between the dark chocolate cake and light pink frosting.
You May Like: Nothing Bundt Cakes Palm Desert Ca
Variation: How To Make The Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake Recipe Even More Chocolaty
If youre a seasoned baker, you probably already know that coffee is the secret to making things taste more like chocolate. Why? According to this Kitchn article, coffee and chocolate share many of the same flavor characteristics. Adding coffee to any chocolate baked good amplifies some of the darker taste elements in chocolate, making it more flavorful. Coffee can also make the overall flavor of the baked good less sweet.
Tips For The Best Chocolate Cake
If you follow the recipe, youll have a sure-fire hit with this cake. But there are a couple of things to keep in mind:
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
- Since this cake is so soft, frosting it can be a challenge. Try freezing your cakes overnight and frosting while theyre solid to prevent crumbs and breakage.
- Always start with room temperature ingredients for better mixing.
- If you want to boost that chocolate flavor, try using hot coffee instead of water.
- For an even more moist crumb, try using buttermilk instead of plain milk.
- Be sure to use the unsweetened cocoa and not the sweetened variety, as it would be too sweet.
- For an even richer flavor, try using Dutch cocoa.
- To check if the cakes are done, insert a toothpick into the middle. It should come out clean when the cakes are baked.
- I would always recommend using parchment paper in your cake tins to avoid any unwanted sticking disasters.
Also Check: How Do You Make A Cake
Hersheys Chocolate Cake With Hot Water
This Hersheys Chocolate Cake recipe is moist, rich, and perfectly chocolatey, and made usinghot water?
Yes! You read that right. Hot water!
Heres the thing about cocoa powder: It doesnt always want to play well with others. Sometimes it can get clumpy when you try to mix it with liquids.
And I dont know about you, but clumps of cocoa powder in my cake is not what I think of as delicious.
But using hot water helps to bloom the cocoa powder and helps it to incorporate better into the batter. The batter is nice and smooth and bakes up like a dream.
Dont Forget The Frosting
What cake would be complete without frosting??
I think this recipe for Hersheys Chocolate Cake is perfect with the accompanying homemade chocolate frosting recipe.
After all, we already discussed how chocolate cake and chocolate frosting are a match made in heaven.
But if you want to change it up, you could always turn to homemade buttercream frosting instead. would be a fun option, too!
Honestly, it doesnt really matter which frosting you use, because when theres homemade chocolate cake, you know everybody will be happy.
Also Check: Grandma’s New England Coffee Cake
Ingredients To Make The Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake Recipe More Chocolaty
So to make the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe even MORE chocolaty, make the following changes to the cake recipe:
- add 1 ½ teaspoons espresso powder OR instant coffee crystals
- replace the 1 cup boiling water with 1 cup boiling coffee
Whats espresso powder and where can I find it?
Espresso powder is made from espresso grounds that have been roasted, ground, and brewed. The water is then removed from the espresso either by flash-heat drying or freeze-drying, leaving behind dehydrated crystals.
Historically, espresso powder was primarily used in baking as an ingredient. As a result, it was only available for purchase or in specialty stores like King Arthur Baking Company. However, these days, folks use espresso powder to make drinks! You can now buy espresso powder in most major grocery stores and Target. In the US, the most readily available instant espresso brand is Medaglia DOro.
Whats instant coffee? Is it different from ground coffee? And if so, can I use ground coffee instead?
Instant coffee is different from ground coffee. Ground coffee is made by grinding coffee beans into a coarse or fine powder. You can easily make ground coffee at home with a coffee grinder.
In a pinch, you can use ground coffee instead of instant coffee in this recipe. However, ground coffee doesnt dissolve as well as instant coffee during the baking process. You may end up with small flecks of ground coffee in your chocolate cake!
Would This Recipe Make Good Cupcakes
Yes! Hersheys even has a guide on how to use this recipe to make cupcakes. This recipe will make 30 cupcakes.
1. Make the batter using the same method listed below.
2. Line a cupcake tray with cupcake liners .
3. Fill liners full with the batter use a pitcher or ice cream scoop to prevent spills.
4. Bake at 350°F for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
5. Allow to cool for a few minutes before moving cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
Recommended Reading: Lion Brand Shawl In A Cake
Video Result For Hersheys Deep Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
Homemade Delicious Especially Dark Chocolate Cake -…
How I made the BEST chocolate cake….
DARK MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE
My Version Of The Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake Recipe Gives You The Option To Go The Extra Mile
I found it interesting that, in The Kitchn article that ranks the most popular chocolate cake recipes, the winning recipe was actually pretty similar to the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe! Specifically: Jesse ranks Ina Gartens Beattys Chocolate Cake recipe as the winner. Erika does in her chocolate cake bake-off as well.
However, when I compared the Hershey recipe to Inas recipe, I was shocked. They basically had the same ingredients and methodologies. The only differences? Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe uses milk and hot water. Inas Beattys Chocolate Cake uses buttermilk and coffee. Thats it!
But those small differences are apparently enough of a difference. Buttermilk has a tangy flavor that helps bring down the overall sweetness of the cake. Similarly, coffees bitter flavor can enhance the chocolaty flavor of the cake. So if youre interested in finessing the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe to suit your tastes more, definitely check out the variations on how to do so!
Recommended Reading: Best Lemon Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
Making The Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake Recipe Even Better
First, I tried the original Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe without any modifications. I wanted to see if, after all these years and a cookbook later, Id changed my mind. I also wanted to see if I would agree with any of Jesses criticisms against the recipe.
To my surprise, I STILL thought that the original, unmodified Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe produced a delicious cake. I especially loved the super soft and moist cake crumb. I thought the chocolate frosting was a dream to work with. Its texture was super silky and creamy, making the cake easy to frost!
But that being said, I also understood where Jesse was coming from. I could see why he thought the cake was overly moist and sweet. So in my version of the recipe below, I updated the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe to address some of his major criticisms. Learn more in the next section!
Hersheys Deep Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
This recipe for Hersheys Deep Dark Chocolate Cake, by , is from Handed Down & Passed Around, one of the cookbooks created at FamilyCookbookProject.com. Well help you start your own personal cookbook! Its easy and fun.
|1 1/2 tsp. baking powder1 tsp. salt|
Combine dry ingredients in large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients, except boiling water. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes. Remove mixer stir in boiling water . Pour into two greased and floured 9 inch pans or three 8 inch pans or one 13×9 pan. Bake at 350º 30 35 minutes for layers or 35 40 minutes for 13×9 pan. Frost with Hersheys Lickety Split Frosting.
Also Check: Michael Aram White Orchid Cake Stand
How To Make Hersheys Chocolate Cake
This cake recipe is one of the easiest youll find. It might not be as easy as Doctored Cake Mix, but its pretty close.
Start by mixing together the dry ingredients. Then add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat with an electric mixer for 2 minutes.
Then stir in the boiling water. Youll notice that the batter will be quite thin. Thats ok! Its supposed to be.
Pour the batter into prepared pans and bake. Let the cake cool completely before frosting and decorating!
Because this cake is so easy to make, its a great one to make with kids. Depending on the age of your child, you may need to help them with the boiling water and of course with the oven, but most of the rest they can do on their own!
And just think how proud theyll be to serve a slice of a cake they made on their own.
Faq: Tools To Make The Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake Recipe
Do I need special tools to make the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe?
Whats a cake board?
A cake board is a stiff piece of cardboard thats placed underneath the cake. The cake board makes it easy to transfer the cake from the rotating cake stand and onto a different serving plate or cake stand.
Cake boards come in different sizes to match the most commonly used cake pans. Professionals like to match the size of their cake board to their cake panthat is, professional bakers will place an 8-inch round cake on top of an 8-inch round cake board. That being said, its easier for beginners and novice bakers to use a slightly larger cake board . Doing so makes it easier to pick the cake up for transfer. You can cover the rest of the cake board with a piped frosting border, or leave it as isnobody will mind, I promise!
Do I really need a cake board for the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe?
Whats a rotating cake stand?
Can I make the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe without a rotating cake stand?
Okay, now whats an offset spatula?
Can I make the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe without an offset spatula?
Ugh, making a layer cake sounds like way too much work. Can I make the Hersheys Perfectly Chocolate Cake recipe as a sheet cake instead?
Recommended Reading: Nothing Bundt Cakes Orland Park Il
The Best Dark Chocolate Cake
Sharing is caring!
This truly is THE BEST DARK CHOCOLATE CAKE with its moist layers of deep rich chocolate and creamy DARK CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING that melts in your mouth! Its AMAZING!!!
Remember last summer when we went on Vacation to George Town? We took that cupcake tour, and stopped in at that little bakerySprinklesand my life was forever changed!
*As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may make a commission from any purchases at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!
Yep by ONE little EPIC mouth-watering Dark Chocolate Cup Cake with real chocolate sprinkles!
I spent the next few months12 of them to be exacttrying to duplicate THAT cupcake!
Last week, the cravings hit hard for that splendid cupcake.SoI dug down deep and decided to go one more round with that elusive Dark Chocolate Cake with Dark Buttercream Frosting!
Hooray!!! Success! This is as close as it is going to get.
Its a combination of two different recipes, neither of which I created, but when combined make the perfect Dark Chocolate Cake with Dark Buttercream Frosting! The cake is the original from the back of the Hersheys Cocoa powder box. This buttercream frosting is a recipe I tweaked and tweaked until I got the exact consistency I was looking for.
So lets get started.
To Adjust The Number Of Cake Layers:
You have the option of making this dark chocolate cake a 2 layer, 3 layer, or 4 layer cake. For a two layer cake, divide the frosting between two cake pans, instead of three, to make 2 thicker cake layers. For a 4 layer cake, bake to layers of cake, then torte each cake round in half, to create 4 layers. Be sure to spread a layer of dark chocolate frosting between each later.
Read Also: Nothing Bundt Cakes St Augustine Fl
Heavenly Deep Dark Chocolate Cake Recipe
Heavenly Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
From iffyo 14 years ago
Its simply heavenly,u all will luv it no doubt about it.,!
- Feel free to use any of the below tags. Click one to add it.
- Add items to your shopping list
How to make it
- 1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- 2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water . Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Frost with ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING. 8 to 10 servings.
- ONE-BOWL BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 2-2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup Cocoa or Dutch Processed Cocoa
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency . Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
- HIGH ALTITUDE DIRECTIONS :
How To Make Deep Dark Chocolate Cake
- 1Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round pans or one 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- 2Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla beat on medium speed of electric mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water . Pour batter into prepared pans.
- 3Bake 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
- 4For icing: Beat butter in medium bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternately with milk, beating to spreading consistency . Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.
- Last Step: Don’t forget to share! Make all your friends drool by posting a picture of your finished recipe on your favorite social network. And don’t forget to tag Just A Pinch and include #justapinchrecipes so we can see it too!
- Printable Recipe Card
Read Also: Sticky Toffee Pudding Cake Omaha Steaks
How To Make Dark Chocolate Cake:
1. Prep the cake pans: Grease three 9-inch cake pans. I like to cut a circle of parchment paper for the bottom of the pan to make sure it doesnt stick. Set aside.
2. Make the chocolate cake:
- Combine dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add wet ingredients: add milk, oil, eggs, and vanilla to flour mixture and mix until well combined. Slowly add boiling water to the cake batter and mix for about 1 minute. Pour cake batter evenly between the three cake pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cakes to cool before frosting.
3. Make the dark chocolate frosting: Stir together the powdered sugar and cocoa powder. In a separate mixing bowl beat the butter then gradually add the sugar/cocoa mixture alternating with cream and vanilla, beating after each addition, until you reach your desired frosting consistency.
4. Assemble: Lay one layer of chocolate cake on a cake board or platter. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to spread a layer of dark chocolate frosting over the top of the cake. Add the second layer of cake and frost the top and sides of the cake. Optional: use a wilton decorating tip to add a decorative edge and lightly sprinkle chocolate sprinkles.